DVDVR Message Board

The Raw After Wrestlemania - 4/8/2019

Dolfan in NYC

13 minutes ago, Gorman said:

Bayley's loss just tells me she's moving over to Smackdown.

Bingo

Between them losing the titles, the match last night and (this part could be reading too much into something) the way Sasha is acting towards Bayley on Social Media (being all emo "You mean so much to me, etc") it certainly seems like they have already decided to move Bayley over.

Remember Alexa did a few jobs last year on SDL before being moved to RAW

Standard "leaving the territory" booking

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Eivion said:

When?

Nia injured Alexa's shoulder at Backlash and then I thought it was Nia who concussed Alexa at a house show in October or November, but it was possible both Ronda and Nia who concussed Alexa.

And then people thought Nia again injured Alexa in her first match back on Raw when she faced Nia and Tamina.

The two new World champions teaming up to face an established heel team would have been a fine main event if they had just set it up ahead of time. Same set-up, tease the match, then have The Bar interrupt the segment to challenge them instead. Then you don't have people anticipating a bigger surprise all night, and you haven't spent the whole show pretending that you're running an impromptu title unification match the night after WM. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I love the Glorious Ones at this point. They really committed to it, and turning them heel can only help.

I like Ricochet and Black a lot as individuals, but the gimmicks just don't mesh as a team at all. Like, the Dusty Cup was fine, but as a full time team it's just weird.

I think that you're missing the charm of what makes Ricochet and Black such a fun team, they are total opposites in style, personality and background, great tag-teams can be composed of strange bedfellows. Arn & Tully? The super-serious ass-kicker teamed with the loudmouth punk? Here you have the always smiling acrobatic wrestler who would probably be pretty high on most fans' lists of "people that would be cool to chill with" united with the scowling goth-as-fuck Black, it's weird and because it's weird, it's perfect.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I was so sure that UE was going to shock the system during the main event, and then we got... The Bar?!? What the fuck?

To be fair, they've literally called up a dozen from NXT in the last 4 months or so and the vast majority of them have gotten lost in the fog of Vince's brain.   And I'd hate to see that happen to UE, because - well, fuck everyone here - I love them.  

There's a shit ton of flotsam and jetsam that needs to be cleared out before anyone else comes up.  

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

To be fair, they've literally called up a dozen from NXT in the last 4 months or so and the vast majority of them have gotten lost in the fog of Vince's brain.   And I'd hate to see that happen to UE, because - well, fuck everyone here - I love them.  

There's a shit ton of flotsam and jetsam that needs to be cleared out before anyone else comes up.  

That's my concern as well. They have one of the best talkers on the entire roster in EC3 and he's doing fuck all. Ricochet and Black are winning, but still without a home. Who knows what the hell is happening with Heavy Machinery. Lacey Evans just now did something other than pointlessly walking out and walking back. The entirety of Sanity have been reduced to jobbers, which is fucking absurd. And Nicki Cross is doing...well, I'm not sure what she's doing.

Like you, I fucking love the Undisputed Era. I love Adam Cole and think he's born to be a star. I love creepy Kyle. I love Bobby Fish. I even love Roddy, although if they kick Roddy out, I'm not going to be heartbroken. The last thing I want is for those guys to all get called up, have Vince see how small they are in body mass or height, and then be broken up, get split up by the Superstar Shakeup, be reduced to jobbers like Sanity, or just be forgotten about altogether.

In a sad way, it's almost like the best thing to happen to Gargano, Cole, KOR, Fish, Roddy, and Ciampa was Ciampa being put on the shelf for however long he's going to be there. My hope is that this year's WarGames will be TUE's swan song in NXT and by that point Vince will be too preoccupied by the XFL to fuck a good thing up.

• Like 2

Guest Edwin

The New Day pulled an Eric Bugenhagen and it was funny and didn't feel forced.

Edit:

Timestamped.

Edited by Edwin

I also think people really need to start adjusting their expectations regarding the post Mania shows as long as they keep doing a shakeup the week after

Of course - if they eliminate the brand split due to the move to FOX then ignore this and carry about your normal business

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I also think people really need to start adjusting their expectations regarding the post Mania shows as long as they keep doing a shakeup the week after

Of course - if they eliminate the brand split due to the move to FOX then ignore this and carry about your normal business

Any rumours/talk about the brand split ending? I ask with the women's titles unified, the women's tag team titles across all shows and the slackening of the brand split recently. Thanks. 

3 hours ago, Craig H said:

Nia injured Alexa's shoulder at Backlash and then I thought it was Nia who concussed Alexa at a house show in October or November, but it was possible both Ronda and Nia who concussed Alexa.

And then people thought Nia again injured Alexa in her first match back on Raw when she faced Nia and Tamina.

Alexa was working just fine post Backlash and after her Raw return earlier in the year (they just had her doing house shows for whatever reason). At this point the one injury we can confirm could be Nia's fault, Rousey's fault, Alexa's own fault, or just general bad luck with wrestling. There isn't any footage to confirm what happened.

3 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Ronda's hand looks like it's in a cast in that picture.

That only means one thing. Bob Orton the shit out of that thing and use it for the next year.

I like this. Shot to Coach Edmond while Ronda's at it!

13 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Any rumours/talk about the brand split ending? I ask with the women's titles unified, the women's tag team titles across all shows and the slackening of the brand split recently. Thanks. 

No actual rumors or anything, but the thought had crossed my mind that the unification of the Women's Titles and the Women's Tag Titles going back and forth between shows would be an opportunity for them to spin off an all-women's show once Smackdown officially moves to FOX.

I don't know if it's something that they would actually do, but I think it's something they could pull off.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Alexa was working just fine post Backlash and after her Raw return earlier in the year (they just had her doing house shows for whatever reason). At this point the one injury we can confirm could be Nia's fault, Rousey's fault, Alexa's own fault, or just general bad luck with wrestling. There isn't any footage to confirm what happened.

https://www.wwe.com/shows/backlash/2018/article/alexa-bliss-suffers-shoulder-injury-at-wwe-backlash

There's the official word from WWE. Multiple other sites reported on this as well. In fact, I seem to recall a bunch of us on here noticing when the injury happened. It was something like Nia grabbed Alexa by the arm and yanked her around pretty violently. Something along those lines I think. 

Also, just because she was working after the injury doesn't mean she wasn't working through it. This was around the same time we started noticing that Alexa wasn't taking bumps.

Edited by Craig H

9 minutes ago, The Natural said:

There was a story on ESPN.com yesterday (I can't find the link at the moment) basically saying the WWE was heading in that direction

Now I will say that story doesn't have any real additional reporting - it is a lot of the same logical leaps a lot of us on here have made (Fox and/or USA not being happy a wrestler wasn't on their show, the technically now two unified titles, etc...)

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Craig H said:

https://www.wwe.com/shows/backlash/2018/article/alexa-bliss-suffers-shoulder-injury-at-wwe-backlash

There's the official word from WWE. Multiple other sites reported on this as well. In fact, I seem to recall a bunch of us on here noticing when the injury happened.

Also, just because she was working after the injury doesn't mean she wasn't working through it. This was around the same time we started noticing that Alexa wasn't taking bumps.

Seems odd to have her work matches after they confirm she was injured.

I have no idea if I'm the majority or minority, but I really like the brand split. Without the brand split, we likely don't get AJ styles run as champion, or Daniel Bryan's heel turn and run with the title, or now Kofi being champion. It would have just been the same bullshit where you have one champ, Brock, and the title is just tied up until WM. Or on the other side of the coin, the pool for top title contenders is incredibly small.

Along with that, the IC and US titles suffer more when there isn't a brand split. The only time it didn't was when John Cena held his open challenge, but then that got shot to hell when it was ADR that dethroned Cena. What a dumb fucking decision that was in hindsight. Hell, it was stupid as fuck at the time. You'd think that without a brand split that the IC and US titles would be even more important, but they're not. They're arguably more important now.

This doesn't even touch on how lazy the writing was when there wasn't a brand split. SmackDown was almost identical to Raw every week. There was no point to even watch SmackDown until it got moved to USA and we had the brand split. If there even happened to be something unique on SmackDown, they'd just re-run it on Raw anyway. Remember the seemingly endless amount of Cesaro vs ADR matches? Maybe it wasn't those two, but that sounds right where the same people kept facing off against each other on every single show.

The product is better with a brand split than without it and until creative shows an ability to pull their head out of their ass then I can't trust things will be better once it ends.

• Like 4

Okay - slight mistake on my part

It was the guy retweeting his story from November that they would probably end the brand split.

That being said - everything in that story has pretty much been happening

5 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Seems odd to have her work matches after they confirm she was injured.

You asked for when and more than a couple of us have told you when. Wrestlers constantly work injured. I don't see how this is even odd. Look at the amount of wrestlers working with kinesio tape all over their body. Ciampa was wrestling with fucked up knees, shoulders, and elbows, not to mention a bad neck. Dude went into a ladder match when he should have already gone under the knife.