DVDVR Message Board

The Raw After Wrestlemania - 4/8/2019

Dolfan in NYC

I think that might just be THE worst post-WM Raw I’ve seen since the days when it was taped.  

Ricochet And Black still teaming and, according to commentary, still a team going forward.  

The horrendous bait and switch main being easy to see coming with ads for tomorrow’s SD promoting Kofis celebration as champ.  I thought with the lack of debuts they might be saving it for the main with a Nexus-style debut of UE but, no, it was The Bar...

Even the Lars debut was stupid because it set up nothing with him attacking a retiring wrestler.   

No Roman, no Drew.  

They should really do the draft right the night after Mania because these nothing shows after WM are the shits.  

• Like 8

Bayley losing to Alexa was disappointing, unsurprising, and seemed utterly pointless.

Lars's debut was nice.

Lacey finally doing something was good to see. Kind of hope she drops the Women's' Right as a finisher though after Becky's no sell. Was never too fond of it in the first place if I'm being honest.

Dana's promo was something. While she has improved in the ring she seems to have regressed a good damn deal character wise. They really should take the draft as a chance to send her back to NXT.

Sami's return was nice. Trying to turn Sami heel in front of this audience was a terrible idea and never going to work. At least match with Finn was fun.

Starting a double titles match between Seth and Kofi was dumb in the first place. Doing it with only the Bar to interrupt a pure stupidity. Should have ta least been someone new. Hell Sami coming back here to turn heel would have been a far better idea.

A tame Raw, but I'm weirdly kind of fine with that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Vince probably felt weird having the triple happy ending last night, so he had to go back with trolling the audience once again.  On a side note, please move Bayley far way from Alexa.  The second Alexa's back wrestling and she kills Bayley once again.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, DreamBroken said:

I'd just prefer a new wrestler's finisher not be immediately blown off like nothing. Certainly not unexpected with the month of fake leg injury angle barely being sold either.

Maybe they should have spent some time building up this new wrestler's finisher (instead of walking a ramp for months on end), so when Becky does "no-sell" the punch it actually means something and Lacey would have to up her game accordingly to challenge the Champ Champ? 

• Like 1

I can totally understand toning down the surprises but why not do something different like a 20 person tag that goes for 40-60 minutes. Or “dream” inter promotional matches like Usos-Revival, Balor-Mysterio and a 3-way non-title match with the Raw, SD and NXT champs, lots of crowd-pleasing segments with legends and comedy segments and beatdowns.  Make it a non-canon night and not worry too much about storytelling.  

• Like 1

I was largely fine with Raw. Lars murdering Angle obviously sets up someone stepping up to try to avenge him. I just hope whoever that is isn't someone I give a shit about since they're just going to get fed to Lars.

And here's my whole problem with Lars already. We know how the template is going to work for this dork. They're going to feed Lars like crazy to try to get him over and a bunch of dudes are going to be sacrificed in the process. Then, because Lars is nowhere near as awesome as Strowman and probably not as bulletproof as Strowman, Lars is going to suffer when Vince gets bored and then Lars starts getting 50/50'd or outright jobbed out. Then all of that work to build the guy up in the beginning will be pointless because Vince has the attention span and patience of a gnat.

Anyway...Bayley jobbing to Alexa is fucking dumb. Alexa is one of the most injury prone wrestlers on the roster, she visibly doesn't like to take bumps, she's as small as Vega and half as talented, but they still just have to put Alexa over Bayley. There's no one else to feed to Alexa to help build her back up? Really?

I love Ricochet and Black as a team, but I hope they eventually become something where they pursue solo careers while teaming up every now and then because they're best buds. So given that, I'm fine with them staying teamed up for now.

The Bray shit is beyond stupid. It's incomprehensibly dumb. It's dumber than Randy Orton committing arson and posing in front of the fire X 1000.

There wasn't one production person back there who could have pointed out how the SDL commercial was going to give away the finish to Kofi vs Seth?

Speaking of them, they had a good little match going and I liked them teaming up at the end. I have no clue why it was the Bar that decided to interfere, but whatever. You'd think the Bar would be out for revenge against the Usos and it would have been Daniel Bryan and Rowan coming out to interrupt Kofi vs Seth.

Sami is back! Sami is still trying to be a heel! I'm fine with this.

And like others said, Becky has taken shots from Ronda, Nia, and others. Her punch isn't going to be any better than the other shots Becky has taken.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Why aren't we discussing the Becky and Ronda pin that wasn't controversy?   I'm kidding but yeah no mention of it at all.  I think that puts that issue to rest. 

SI.com is saying the plan is Becky vs Ronda at WM 36. I'm sure it will come back up at some point, but for now, yeah, the issue can be put to rest.

11 minutes ago, DreamBroken said:

I'd just prefer a new wrestler's finisher not be immediately blown off like nothing. Certainly not unexpected with the month of fake leg injury angle barely being sold either.

Maybe she should have a better finisher.

Hell, maybe, MAYBE, given her background, she shouldn't be a heel...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I love Ricochet and Black as a team, but I hope they eventually become something where they pursue solo careers while teaming up every now and then because they're best buds. So given that, I'm fine with them staying teamed up for now.

I gotta say outside of Kofi and Becky,  those two dudes were the most over dudes I seen probably all weekend. Maybe throw Cole in there too though the fickle fans turned on him and sided with Gargano ?

But back to Ricochet and Black.  They are fucking STARS and there is no way WWE can screw this up. I've said that before though many times. 

One note on the main event,   I think it would have worked better if there was interference at like 10:57 instead of running a tag match.  That's what I was expecting. I thought it'd be someone like McIntyre out to make a statement etc. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, OctopusCinema said:

I guess I don't really understand Lacy Evans. Is her big move a face punch? And do people usually die from Face Punch?

Yes, her finisher is a punch to the face. That bothers me to no end. When did closed fists stop being illegal? Kerry Von Erich's Tornado punch should have never been counted for a pinfall either.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, OctopusCinema said:

I guess I don't really understand Lacy Evans. Is her big move a face punch? And do people usually die from Face Punch?

If the Big Show or Ron Garvin or a black glove wearing Ted DiBiase hit you, yes. 

• Like 1

Here's the thing; Alexa's great. She's fantastic at her job. There are dozens of women in nXt she could've planted into the ground her first match back. Doing Bayley like that both damages her credibility and the potential of Sasha and Bayley moving forward. As someone who enjoys what both women do, probably more than most, that makes no fucking sense to me. 

Alexa looks like she's lost mass or something which is funny because she was tiny before.  I don't know if she's going to hold up being that small.  

Also,  while I thought RAW was ok for what it was the whole "RAW AFTER MANIA" thing is dead right?  I don't think it was special last year either. 

• Like 1