DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLEMANIA 35 POST SHOW DISCUSSION

RIPPA

If I was HHH and wanted to sell it to Vince, this is the way I put it.

We make Sunday of the week before the NXT Takeover, and that officially starts "Wrestlemania Week"

Axxess throughout the week, Hall of Fame prime time Friday Night, Day 1 of Wrestlemania Saturday, Day 2 of Wrestlemania Sunday.

(and make sure that while folks will consider saturday the lesser WM, that you turn that into a "give the fans more of they want" day. (longer matches, Smarkfavorites, etcetera). Hold the women's battle royal one day, and the Andre the other.)

• Like 1

Murphy/Neese was decent, but probably worst, shortest, and most heatless CW Title match we have seen in a while on these ppv kickoff shows or in general. I'm behind on 205Live, but Neese just did not having anything resembling momentum for a match like this, let alone win it. 

Women's Battle royal was kind of fun for Sarah Logan getting some good focus. Was fine with Carmella winning. ARmbar was not as fun, but nothing terrible either, just kind of there.

Revival vs. Ryder/Hawkins was solid and a nice way to end Hawkins' losing streak.

Seth/Brock opening the show was a nice surprise and went about as well as it could have.

AJ/Orton was solid. Feels like it should have been a bit better.

SDL Tag Titles match was a good, fun mess and nice showing for all.

Shane/Miz was almost solid. Dug Shane's heeling a decent bit, but it feels like Miz should have been less gungho about beating Shane and more into punishing him. That Skull Crushing Finale should have seen Miz lift Shane's shoulders up before the 3. The big finish was also kind of weird for Shane winning.

Women's Tag Titles match was solid though probably the worst of the tag titles match tonight. I'm fine with IIconics winning though they aren't a favorite for me match wise.

Kofi/Bryan was great and had a perfect ending. Loved the post match celebration with New Day and Kofi's kids.

Joe/Rey was a merciful squash.

Roman/Drew was good, but definitely suffered from the drained audience.

HHH/Batista was  good 10-15 minute brawl stretched out to nearly 25. Not terrible, but way too damn long considering who was involved and the time of show the match occurred.

The Elias/Cena segment was awesome.

Angle/Baron was decent, but still disappointing as a retirement match for Angle. Not sure there could have been a good one though with how well Angle moves around these days.

Finn/Lashley was the perfect length and probably the best match between the two.

The triple threat was awesome and arguably MOTN. All three women looked great and the finish left enough open for a singles match between Becky and Ronda at some point int he future.

Honestly up to Kofi/Bryan this was a great show. That said, the show was clearly 5-6 matches too long with every match post Kofi/Bryan suffering from audience drain. They desperately need to split WM up, nix long HHH matches, and/or leave off some of the title defenses. This show made it clearer than ever that some combination of those needs to occur in future WMs. Its just too draining for the audience and hurts some of the bigger matches happening towards the end of the show. This was a good show, far better than last year's, but it still showed the current formula just doesn't work.

Edited by Eivion

I don't know how you all did it, especially those that went, but I applaud you. I decided to pass on watching tonight, but I'll probably watch Bryan/Kofi and the main event at another time. For my wrestling viewing tonight, I went with Joey Janela's Spring Break 3 pt. 1. That was a fun show.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I don't know how you all did it, especially those that went, but I applaud you. I decided to pass on watching tonight, but I'll probably watch Bryan/Kofi and the main event at another time. For my wrestling viewing tonight, I went with Joey Janela's Spring Break pt. 1. That was a fun show

Midnight to 5:20am in the morning UK time.

1 minute ago, The Natural said:

@Eivion: To your good suggestions on time management, less video packages.

That would put 75 percent of WWE's staff out of work. WWE's whole gimmick is video packages.

One of my old college buddies went to New York just for the G1 Supercard and left before WrestleMania. He said he'd rather watch it at home because it was so long and he'd only be watching the big screen with whatever seats he got. 

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Overly Critical Man said:

Best Mania in years. Fight me. 

27 minutes ago, nate said:

Really good show.

26 minutes ago, Hagan said:

I’m with ya. Best Mania in years and, fight me, but better than the MSG show last night.

22 minutes ago, AaronMLuke said:

Nope. Can't fight that. It was easily the best WrestleMania since 30. 

19 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Quick thoughts before I go home

Great show but way too long

Kofi winning was an actual great Mania moment

The main event was stiff as hell and really great.

Completely in agreement with most of this. This show was fucking great. Better than 31 for sure. For the people saying this was too long, this had to have been shorter than last year and it was better paced than the SuperCard show last night. I will say that I had the benefit of starting the show about 45 minutes late, so I was able to fast forward through enough stuff when I wanted to to the point where I finished watching not long after the show actually ended.

This show was such a surprise with how fun and good it was. To the people bitching about the main event, Becky, an actual babyface, went over, the crowd ate it up, and the door is open for a rematch. You can't do much better than that. We had Seth beating Brock in similar fashion to setup a decisive rematch there. And Kofi won! 

I was worried this thing was going to be a slog, but most everything delivered and I can't ask for much more than that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, (BP) said:

Aside from Kofi winning, the highlight of the night for me was my wife asking me why those two old men in lab coats were joking about raping the Weekend Update guys. 

Vince: "I can't believe you talked me into letting Kofi go over. No one will be miserable at all!"

HHH: "Here, Vince, as a consolation you can do one anal rape joke."

Vince:     tenor.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

3 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

That would put 75 percent of WWE's staff out of work. WWE's whole gimmick is video packages.

WWE do a great job with them. I should be more clear that I meant use video packages for the big matches on PPV. WWE play videos on the pre show and repeat them on the main show.

Edited by The Natural

2 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Wow... my experience at the show was a mixed bag but kofi won in a great match and Becky pinned Ronda so I'm happy as hell for that. I'm cold but I'm back at the hotel and relaxed woo

On TV the crowd sounded like they popped big time for the finish and it looked like almost no one left. How was the end of the main event in person? About how I described it on TV?

the catch for trying to make Wrestlemania two nights is that it almost inevitably gets sorted into the A Show and B Show in perception

But yeah, there's marathon podcasts that I listen to that were shorter than this. But if people will give them money and they can run things on their platform, they'll do it for however long it takes. Same thing happened with the Rumble too.

Also, could Brock have plausibly caught a flight to his homestead in Canada before the end of this?

Love the IIconics getting their moment. Didn't think they had a chance, hopefully they'll get a much better and more entertaining tag title reign than what we had. Loved Alexamania posedown with Hulkster starting the show.  ShaneO/Miz was fun, great finish for a chickenshit heel win. Enjoyed parts of HHH/Batista. Bryan/Kofi the only real memorable in ring match. Sucked that Kurt couldn't win, since I doubt it will do anything for Corbin going forward but cool to see one last moonsault. Didn't expect Brock to go down in 2 minutes like that. Main event ending sucked. Charlotte chopping Ronda in the face was the best.

• Like 3

Also, I'm glad they didn't have some dumb Four Horsewomen curtain call. I forget how that rumor started, but I'm glad it didn't happen. 

The end visual was ultimately the right one even if they went about it in a dumb way.

I hope they didn't Starrcade 1997 this though. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, The Natural said:

WWE do a great job with them. I should be more clear that I meant use video packages for the big matches on PPV. WWE play videos on the pre show and repeat them on the main show.

I'm in agreement we need less video packages. I just don't see it happening anytime soon.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cobra Commander said:

Also, could Brock have plausibly caught a flight to his homestead in Canada before the end of this?

Brock could have gotten home, slaughtered dinner, and watched three episodes of BRANDED before the end of this.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Completely in agreement with most of this. This show was fucking great. Better than 31 for sure. For the people saying this was too long, this had to have been shorter than last year and it was better paced than the SuperCard show last night. I will say that I had the benefit of starting the show about 45 minutes late, so I was able to fast forward through enough stuff when I wanted to to the point where I finished watching not long after the show actually ended.

That was kind of my point earlier though I didn't say it well. This show was paced out about as well as they could have done it and it still felt too damn long. I enjoyed the hell out of it, but they definitely need to shorten it up with either less matches or via splitting the show into two

• Like 1

I went to a basketball game that started at 6 so I didn't make it home until after 9 so I just started the show form the beginning which allowed me to skip a lot of stuff. I still felt that if the show ended after Kofi/Bryan it would have been great, similar to how if the Rumble had ended after Becky's win, it would have been perfect, but there were plenty more matches left. I skipped through a lot of stuff but I did like the main event. Curious to see how the women's singles titles are handled now.

• Like 2