DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLEMANIA 35 POST SHOW DISCUSSION

RIPPA

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Saw this on Observer. 

"Fightful is reporting that referee Rod Zapata was fined for the botched finish of the WrestleMania main event."

Cheers. Aren't WWE referees told count to three no matter what? Thought I'd read that before. Can you imagine how sick the referee felt counting Undertaker vs. Lesnar  at WrestleMania XXX if he wasn't told that finish? Only a small number of people knew the Streak would end.

4 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Saw this on Observer. 

"Fightful is reporting that referee Rod Zapata was fined for the botched finish of the WrestleMania main event."

If he really was fined, I bet Ronda and/or Becky paid it for him.

• Like 1

Something I made a mental note of during the show and then totally forgot about by the time it finally ended: I was really impressed Cena managed to do his Doctor of Thuganomics bit without it being dripping with blatant homophobia.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Something I made a mental note of during the show and then totally forgot about by the time it finally ended: I was really impressed Cena managed to do his Doctor of Thuganomics bit without it being dripping with blatant homophobia.

This. I remember a time when as the Doctor of Thuganomics, Cena used the r word.

Edited by The Natural

Thinking about it, right. See if you're a teenage Wrestling fan in Europe (and it's not the Easter holidays). You can't watch Mania live because it starts at midnight UK time, 1AM Central European and it's a school night. So you go to school Monday morning, get home at about 1530, start watching Mania... and assuming your parents don't force you to stop to eat dinner at the table, and you haven't got any homework, there's still a decent chance you have to go to bed before the show finishes.

On 4/10/2019 at 3:54 AM, The Natural said:

Cheers. Aren't WWE referees told count to three no matter what? Thought I'd read that before. Can you imagine how sick the referee felt counting Undertaker vs. Lesnar  at WrestleMania XXX if he wasn't told that finish? Only a small number of people knew the Streak would end.

IIRC, they’re told to basically treat pins as a shoot (at least in NXT), so if someone doesn’t get their shoulder up in time, you make the three count. There have also been times (again, at least in NXT) where the refs haven’t started a pin count because shoulders weren’t actually down, and you could see whoever was making the pin get annoyed.

If that’s the case on the main roster, it makes sense for the ref to be fined for counting when Ronda’s shoulders clearly were up.

• Thanks 1

I know the match was like 15 minutes longer than it should've been and Batista's selling and offensive stretch was bad, but god damn did HHH come to work in that match or what? I'm sure he has more leeway than everyone, but I'm impressed by how he's consistently violent he's able to get staying within PG guidelines. His opening stretch here was just nasty with the chain, the cable grips, and the nose ring extraction. The Troy-inspired sledgehammer shot at the end was a nice touch too. I guess if he had any faults here, it was that the match should've been laid out so Batista was on offense first and all of HHH's brutality led right to the finish. Batista responding with shoulder blocks in the corner 5 minutes after having his nose ring ripped out with pliers was the worst fucking thing. He should've been swinging those cable grips with his one good arm or digging a screwdriver into HHH's head or something.

This was such a frustrating match because there was potential to blow everyone's expectations away and stand out as a legit WWE MOTYC, but there was way too much working against it after the awesome open. Figured Hunter at least deserved a shout since he hasn't done much of note in the ring since 30.

• Like 3

I didn't spoil myself all week until I was able to watch it on Friday. As soon as I saw the main show was 5:30 hrs I knew I'd skip loads of this. And I did. 

First and foremost: I'm a big fan of the entrances. Yes, they are cheesy, but HHH as Conan is one of my alltime favourite moment. This year's "big Entrances" I really didn't enjoy too much, outside of Balor's. As somebody else mentioned, I was also a little weirded out that EVERY champion seemed to enter first. 

Brock vs Seth was what Brock's matches tend to be, which isn't good. At least he got beat after taking three consecutive finisher's this time. He has done more for Rollins than for Reigns. 

Loved Beth's Entrance and I was very dissapppointed when it got cut short by the shitty new Hart-theme. Match itself I wasn't into too much, basically skipping through it. 

Kofi vs Bryan is one of the best matches I've seen during the last years. It had an organic story and mostly genuine seeming involvement from the crowd. Of the course there was the one *clap clap clap* chant (I really dislike those most of the time), but generally everyone wanted the good guy to win, the bad guy to loose and it was DONE RIGHT (which is also a rare feat for WWE these days). Bryan is a great Wrestler.

Drew v Roman was worked well, but it fell flat and the finish confused me. I was 100% sure they'd put McIntyre over in defeat at least, but he just lost easily. 

You bet I skipped HHH vs Batista. 

Angle went out on his shield. Broken down old vets in their retirement match should get the L. Therefore no problem with the end. I may be the only guy in the world who thinks Corbin has sth going for him, though. (Admittedly haven't seen him reigning over Raw...)

I liked the Main Event. As somebody who met "Rebecca" , it is fantastic to not only see "Becky" win both titles at Wrestlemania but also see her doing it in the actual main event. Almost all of this seemed impossible in 2006.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

It was a hell of a match and well worth watching

I was totally out of it once they started that stuff with that vice / tool that I don't know the English word for, sorry. 

Loved their three match series which culminated in Hell in a Cell, but this one I skipped through as soon as they did the nonsense mentioned above. When I saw the sledgehammer later on and it appeared to have been a part for the match for an extended period of time I was almost at a point where I wanted to stop watching entirely. I really don't think it is the match for me. 

Guest Edwin

I don't care what anyone says, kayfabe has been dead for years, but when done right, pro-wrestling is still magical.

Seriously, Bryan and Kofi deserve all the credit in the world for what they accomplished.