DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLEMANIA 35 POST SHOW DISCUSSION

RIPPA

The Charlotte Flair in a helicopter was too contrived and just reeked of her dad being his badass self landing in the actual stadium to go run away from Road Warrior Hawk. You just got the sense it was filmed ahead of time (like Friday or Saturday night as an example). 

When HHH's weird video started and he came out on the Munster-mobile I was hoping it was Rob Zombie and his Dragula. That would have been rather fantastic, imo. 

Actually- that would have made for a fantasic Undertaker entrance circa 2002.

• Like 1

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

I went over to a friend's house to watch this and fell asleep on her couch at four different points in the show, but that may also be because I'm usually in bed by 9:30 and the show didn't end until nearly three hours later. Either way that Triple H/Batista match sure didn't help.

I’m very happy Becky won, and I don’t think they’ve done anything to take away from her moment (yet—we’ll see how tonight plays out). But there are interesting conversations to be had.

I sort of get why one wouldn’t want Rousey tapping out, but that line of thinking is bizarre to me. It fits with the recent Twitter garbage where she’s going on about how “this shit is fake” or whatever. Even 25 years ago, I absolutely loathed stuff like Dean Malenko being called “The Shooter.” If he’s a “shooter,” what is this guy over here, a “faker?” Dumb.

Even if you’re ok with all this, making it a three way protects Rousey, because there’s no MMA equivalent to a triple threat. In addition, it’s ostensibly no DQ, so it should be VERY easy for the agents to come up with a submission finish that would satisfy Rousey or Heyman or whomever it is who insists on protecting their “real” fighters.

All that said, Seth Rollins absolutely STEAMROLLED Brock fucking Lesnar on the same card, with Heyman at ringside! Was that somehow not believable?

Edited by crazypook

32 minutes ago, Yo-Yo's Roomie said:

It would have been nice if Ronda's shoulders were actually down though, wouldn't it? I mean, that would have been better.

What can be done about a performer botching a finishing sequence though?  People are coming up with wild theories off what most everyone who would know says was the planned finish. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

You just got the sense it was filmed ahead of time (like Friday or Saturday night as an example). 

It actually was, but during the show. We noticed the helicopter above the stadium earlier in the night, it hovered around for several minutes before landing outside the building. Don’t remember what match it was during, but at the time we assumed they were just grabbing some overhead shots of the crowd.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Raziel said:

The Starrcade 97 comparison is not accurate and disingenuous.  The finish last night was the end of a months long program that Becky was better and could beat Ronda, and she did.  Botch or not, she beat her and that was the end everyone wanted.  

Starrcade 97 was the culmination of a 15 month angle where the booking should've been Sting whipping the ever loving shit out of Hogan for 8-9 minutes, and Hogan tapping out clean to the Scorpion, and instead what was done was 10 minute of Hogan control, then a fucking clean as a sheet pin after the leg drop and a regular count, then an angle that made no fucking sense whatsoever in the context of what happened.  So it's not remotely the same thing.

More importantly, Becky showed up with a tan.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

5 hours ago, Hagan said:

YES YES to all this. I was actually going to post about how Bret's finishes are some of my all-time favorite in wrestling. He's the last big-time WWF/WWE star that feels like he wasn't reliant on every match ending with a finishing move. 

The constant callbacks to past flash finishes are what took Bret's eye for those finishes to GOAT level.

Like Owen scouting Bret's "victory roll from the top of his opponent's shoulders" move from KotR '93 enough to stuff it and get a pinfall at WM X.

Came in here because I heard Kofi was WWE champ. Really happy for him and for the kids who get a black world champion. Look, I got Ron Simmons, DOOM, and Ahmed Johnson as a kid/pre-teen, and I was thankful for every minute of those title reigns back then. Representation matters.

• Like 7

The finish obviously doesn’t ruin anyone, no matter how it came about; but it’s not wild to suggest a feud between two women with armbar finishers, built on posturing and inflicting violence (more than just winning), might have benefitted from a submission finish. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, J.H. said:

Hell most of RicFlair's title losses were by sudden pins i.e. small package, backslide, sunset flip. Steamboat didn't win with a flying bodypress, Dusty didn't use the Bionic Elbow or figure four and Ronnie garvin didn't knock him out. Finisher overkill has ruined the moment of a sudden pin getting the win and I hate it

James

It really wouldn't have made a difference in preventing his first title reign from being the drizzling shits, but Sting probably should have submitted Flair with the Scorpion Deathlock. It would've at least made Sting's first title win stand out against Flair compared to all the flash pins in his previous title losses. Hell, all the Dudes With Attitudes were even holding the rest of the Horsemen off from interfering. Starrcade 1997 didn't just make Sting's victory look unconvincing. He ate a clean pinfall before that lame restart/do-over bullshit involving Bret Hart. That nonsense was just as bad as those random title losses by Triple H or Jarrett during the Monday Night Wars where the authority figure comes out afterwards and decides it was a non-title match all along.  Except this time the supposed good guys perpetrated it. As far as last night goes, it wouldn't surprise me if they never planned on Ronda eating a fall during her whole run. She may not have agreed to eat a clean fall during her entire run. 

Edited by FluffSnackwell

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

What can be done about a performer botching a finishing sequence though?  People are coming up with wild theories off what most everyone who would know says was the planned finish. 

Nothing. I'm just making an observation. Dissecting things is kinda what we do here. I said myself I thought it was just a botch, probably by the ref. I do think it would have been better had it been a clean 3.

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

So was Ricky Steamboat lucky when he beat Macho Man at WM 3? 

Becky did win by pinfall and it wasn't by luck. Becky said she could beat Ronda, which she did. Becky was the more skilled participant and used her skill and in ring knowledge to counter Ronda and beat her. 

When the finish happened, the first thing I thought of was Steamboat vs Savage. You don't always need to win with a finisher.

I rewatched the match and the roll up isn't as janky as I thought it looked at first, so I could see the argument that she caught Ronda with a quick one and eked out a victory. So if that works for you, who am I to argue? But this wasn't WM3 and this wasn't Steamboat/Savage. I think they got cute and messed it up when it could've been so much more. Agree to disagree.

Perhaps the biggest issue with the main event finish, other than Ronda's shoulders not being down, they did nothing to establish a possible pin finisher for Becky. If they had hinted at that for a bit before last night, I think the idea of a quick pin would have came across better.

Nothing wrong with going for a different kind of finish. But when dealing with three women with submissions as finishers and who have been talking that up leading to the match, this feels anti-climatic. It doesn't take away from the moment for Becky fans, though. That's what matters in the end.

8 hours ago, Playa Shunna Ver 3.0 said:

I would give it 6.5 stars because Meltzer and Omega can suck a dick.  This was such a great match.  

Really? On this board? I thought we were better than that. 

You loved the match. Great. What good does bringing up Meltzer and Omega do when nobody said anything about Dave's star ratings? 

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Thanks 4

Is it weird that Brock Lesnar lost the title at Mania by pinfall and it doesn't sound as if it's even of Top 5 things of interest in show?  No? Okay.  Moving on.

I doubt they'll give Kofi a long reign but more interested in how they'll frame it within the New Day team.

WWE Network is a problem because the lack of restrictions means WWE can make WrestleMania into like a 24 hour show. It's just too much.

The emotions last night peaked with Kofi Kingston vs. Daniel Bryan. That was basically for all intents and purposes the real main event. Just like Undertaker and Shawn Michaels at WrestleMania 25 or Rock and Hogan at WrestleMania 18.

The length didn't bother me. It started at three here. And we had a house full of family, friends, and kids in and out all day who were enjoying the show. But we also were constantly bringing out more and more food, which is a great way to endure a show this long. Over the course of the show we had ceasar salad, a veggie plate, a fruit platter, naan with hummus, burgers, meatball sandwich sliders on cheesy garlic bread, and chocolate chip cookies. Not to mention the booze. It felt like one of those all day Super Bowl parties I've been to.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

The constant callbacks to past flash finishes are what took Bret's eye for those finishes to GOAT level.

Like Owen scouting Bret's "victory roll from the top of his opponent's shoulders" move from KotR '93 enough to stuff it and get a pinfall at WM X.

Came in here because I heard Kofi was WWE champ. Really happy for him and for the kids who get a black world champion. Look, I got Ron Simmons, DOOM, and Ahmed Johnson as a kid/pre-teen, and I was thankful for every minute of those title reigns back then. Representation matters.

But not only did Owen scout that move. We as fans also knew exactly what that move meant. Just as the finish to Davey vs Bret II and Austin vs Bret I (Bret pinned Austin in the exact manner he pinned Piper). Those told stories and they were brilliant in the long play. You don't get that anymore. 

Bret is/was a savant. He really is the best there ever will be from a story telling point of view. 

• Like 5