DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLEMANIA 35 POST SHOW DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Facepalm.

I think a lot of writers just want to believe something that wasn't there. The only oopsie I could see happening was Ronda squirming around too much to the point where her shoulders lifted off the mat while being pinned. 

2 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Also AJ might have gotten hurt last night as he was supposedly replaced at AXESS today by Kurt Angle and security was telling people it was because AJ was hurt

I also thought AJ was legit hurt. I forget what the bump was now, but he took something, landed hard on his back, and looked like he was in incredible pain to move or even walk around. Hopefully that's all it was and some time off and heat and ice will heal him up.

Trying to rank the matches

16. Shane vs Miz -fuck Shane McMahon

15. Rey vs Joe - although, honestly, I'm glad it didn't go ten minutes given the length of the show

14. Women's tag - this was there

13. Seth vs Brock - at least it was short

12. Women's battle royal - this was actually quite fun, but nothing we'll really remember

11. ARMBAR - See above

10. Angle vs Corbin - I'm giving it extra points for the post match

09. Lashley vs Demon - it was a perfectly fine four minutes

08. Revival vs Edgeheads - nice solid match, feel good finish

07. Reigns vs Drew - this was fine but nothing. It was solely about reestablishing Roman, which is fine

06. Styles vs Orton - really solid but never hit the upper gears

05. Needed vs Murphy - fun little match, though Murphy usually has been better on ppvs

04. Smackdown tag - a fantastic ten minute spotfest

03. Triple H vs Batista - Just the most fun, violent brawl WWE has run in years

02. Becky vs Ronda vs Charlotte - gloriously stiff

01. Kofi vs Bryan - second best match I've seen from the weekend, a classic. And the best feel good moment in WWE in five years.

• Like 2

Ronda is still only a year into this pro wrestling thing. Why would it be so difficult to believe she could botch something? 

Also,  this Starrcade comparison needs to die off because this is what really happened:  

Becky pinned Ronda. 80,000+ people cheered and went home happy as Becky became a double champion and the first to beat Ronda.  

Nobody gave a shit about what the finish looked like. If they create an angle out of it nobody is going to care or think it somehow devalues that moment. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Ronda is still only a year into this pro wrestling thing. Why would it be so difficult to believe she could botch something? 

Also,  this Starrcade comparison needs to die off because this is what really happened:  

Becky pinned Ronda. 80,000+ people cheered and went home happy as Becky became a double champion and the first to beat Ronda.

Nobody gave a shit about what the finish looked like. If they create an angle out of it nobody is going to care or think it somehow devalues that moment. 

I don't disagree with you in principle, but this is literally the same argument Bischoff makes for why the Starrcade '97 finish didn't hurt the company.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

I don't disagree with you in principle, but this is literally the same argument Bischoff makes for why the Starrcade '97 finish didn't hurt the company.

Eric Bischoff wasn't a billionaire and WCW didn't gross $900M+ in a year.  I'm not trying to sound like an asshole I just don't think this finish means all that much outside of establishing Becky as a star which they've done..   even if Ronda comes out and complains all Becky is going to do is be like "stop whining Ronnie" and the crowd is going to love it. 

• Like 2

The Starrcade 97 comparison is not accurate and disingenuous.  The finish last night was the end of a months long program that Becky was better and could beat Ronda, and she did.  Botch or not, she beat her and that was the end everyone wanted.  

Starrcade 97 was the culmination of a 15 month angle where the booking should've been Sting whipping the ever loving shit out of Hogan for 8-9 minutes, and Hogan tapping out clean to the Scorpion, and instead what was done was 10 minute of Hogan control, then a fucking clean as a sheet pin after the leg drop and a regular count, then an angle that made no fucking sense whatsoever in the context of what happened.  So it's not remotely the same thing.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, ChrisM said:

From a purely emotional standpoint, that Kofi-Bryan match was six stars. Incredible stuff. Overall, I enjoyed it as much as NXT Takeover, and way more than the MSG show on Saturday night.

I would give it 6.5 stars because Meltzer and Omega can suck a dick.  This was such a great match.  

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Raziel said:

The Starrcade 97 comparison is not accurate and disingenuous.  The finish last night was the end of a months long program that Becky was better and could beat Ronda, and she did.  Botch or not, she beat her and that was the end everyone wanted.  

Starrcade 97 was the culmination of a 15 month angle where the booking should've been Sting whipping the ever loving shit out of Hogan for 8-9 minutes, and Hogan tapping out clean to the Scorpion, and instead what was done was 10 minute of Hogan control, then a fucking clean as a sheet pin after the leg drop and a regular count, then an angle that made no fucking sense whatsoever in the context of what happened.  So it's not remotely the same thing.

Look, it's just my opinion but I think Becky should've won clean by tap out and a quick counter roll up doesn't make her look like she won, it looks like she got lucky. Add the kick out and it looks like she got really, really lucky, and that's hardly a cool crowning moment. They overbooked Sting/Hogan due to egos and if any of this "Ronda shouldn't lose by submission because she's a real fighter" stuff is true then WWE did the exact same shit. It's not a one to one comparison, but also I shouldn't feel the need to make a comparison to one of the most fucked finishes of the 90s in the first place.

And I should say I hope my gut reaction is wrong and it all plays out great.

Edited by Godfrey
  • Like 1

So was Ricky Steamboat lucky when he beat Macho Man at WM 3? 

Becky did win by pinfall and it wasn't by luck. Becky said she could beat Ronda, which she did. Becky was the more skilled participant and used her skill and in ring knowledge to counter Ronda and beat her. 

When the finish happened, the first thing I thought of was Steamboat vs Savage. You don't always need to win with a finisher.

• Like 1

Hell most of RicFlair's title losses were by sudden pins i.e. small package, backslide, sunset flip. Steamboat didn't win with a flying bodypress, Dusty didn't use the Bionic Elbow or figure four and Ronnie garvin didn't knock him out. Finisher overkill hasruined the moment of a sudden pin getting the win and I hate it

James

• Like 6

Daniel Bryan is the master of the small package, I don't consider those lucky wins.

By the way, when Bryan small packaged Kofi, my heart about skipped a beat. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Also AJ might have gotten hurt last night as he was supposedly replaced at AXESS today by Kurt Angle and security was telling people it was because AJ was hurt

I saw someone tweet about seeing AJ limping at the airport.