DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLEMANIA 35 POST SHOW DISCUSSION

RIPPA

1 hour ago, Hagan said:

- Women's battle royale was fine but the "person coming in that you thought had been eliminated" is such an overused trope now.

Three big battle royals this weekend and they all did this. That means no one should do it for a long time. In fact, how about no more battle royals for awhile. They need to cut the time of these shows down, I’d say the idea “everyone needs to be on the big show” needs to go. Just pay everyone in a way that it doesn’t matter if you get a 30 second spot in a battle royal or not, you still get paid. They’re gonna have a ppv in three or four weeks anyway, make joe vs mysterio and Lashley vs Balor featured matches on that ppv. There’s ways around this problem they created for themselves. 

10 minutes ago, The Natural said:

One of the many things I love about Bret Hart was his flash pins usually working for him on Piper/Bam Bam Bigelow/Diesel than against countered by Bulldog/Owen.

6 minutes ago, Overly Critical Man said:

Speaking of flash pins, I loved that Hawkins won by basically cribbing the finish to Bret vs Diesel.

YES YES to all this. I was actually going to post about how Bret's finishes are some of my all-time favorite in wrestling. He's the last big-time WWF/WWE star that feels like he wasn't reliant on every match ending with a finishing move. 

Even New Japan drives me crazy with it sometime. It feels like 99 percent of matches end with a finishing move being hit (usually for the third time). Tanahashi's NJ Cup run was so cool because he wasn't reliant on ending matches with the High Fly Flow. 

• Like 1

Vince is the greatest troll ever. I wonder if he knows what trolling is or if it is so natural to him that he's unaware of his superb abilities to fuck with people.

Glad to see Kofi get his moment. Wow. Same can be said for Seth as I didnt see that win coming either. 

The womens tag was not a good match imo. Sloppy, awkward spots. I'm super confused as to the legality of Billy's pin. None of the angles surrounding it were played up. Nothing really anchored it down. I like the Iconics. Didnt want to see Boss&Hug drop the straps to anyone else, but I feel they're going to be transitional champs. 

The womens main event had the story, but didnt deliver on quality either for me. There was a point for every woman in that match that I thought they were going to seriously injure themselves. Ronda's bump from that swinging armbar, those super close landings off the top rope from Becky's tbone and Charlotte's spanish fly. Add that to the fact that they were noticeably snug with each other, I'm surprised a broken hand is all that transpired. Hated the finish. News sites are saying that it wasnt the planned one. Did Vince give Ronda a Bret Hart screw job for talking that shit lol?  I feel Becky vs Ronda would have been a better worked encounter and it would have protected Ronda's flaws better. Man, Becky has had one hell of a journey.

Best parts of all the matches:

Putting Brock/Rollins at the start so I could forget it by the end of the show.

Randy Orton's crooked leg selling.

The Airplane Spin For Days

Usos Gear

Rusev yelling "C'mon maaaaaan.....c'mon maaaaaaaaan" after near falls. Keep that.

Miz's Dad I guess. 

IIconics Entrance Gear

All of Kofi/Daniel Bryan Best match of the weekend. Not every title win is a guy's best match. Austin's wasn't good. Bret's wasn't that hot. Kofi can say his greatest singles match was the night he  stole the show and won the WWE title at Mania. So happy for that guy.

Samoa Joe squashing to save time.

Drew Mac wanting to do his old finisher that Dean Ambrose got after Drew left and then saying this one is for Ambrose.

Triple H RVD bumping on the steel stairs DDT.

Batista in general. He wrestled like it was last time and pain was only temporary. He got up HIGH for that backbody drop on the unbreakable table.

Baron Corbin making every suplex look like Kurt was actually capable of throwing them that well. 

Lashley's Demon attire being just him but with yellow eyes.

Joan Jett. 

"Tables are for bitches."

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, AverageKong said:

News sites are saying that it wasnt the planned one. Did Vince give Ronda a Bret Hart screw job for talking that shit lol? 

Meltzer's report is that the intended finish was, essentially, what we got. The only problem is Ronda wasn't supposed to kick out, which she obviously did. Whether it was instincts or an accident or (insert "putting herself over" speculation here)...

Edited by Beech27

3 minutes ago, Beech27 said:

Meltzer's report is that the intended finish was, essentially, what we got. The only problem is Ronda wasn't supposed to kick out, which she obviously did. Whether it was instincts or an accident or (insert "putting herself over" speculation here)...

Honestly, let's forget all about RRR.  She sucked.  It was a totally underwhelming run.  Good for her if she put herself over.  She made a shit ton of money an can go back to starring in shit B movies now.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

All of Kofi/Daniel Bryan Best match of the weekend. Not every title win is a guy's best match. Austin's wasn't good. Bret's wasn't that hot. Kofi can say his greatest singles match was the night he  stole the show and won the WWE title at Mania. So happy for that guy.

For the record, Kofi's previous greatest match was a 2011 Main Event match vs Cesaro:

http://network.wwe.com/share/video/2518438383

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, The Natural said:

My favourite thing heading into WrestleMania XXXV was how the first thread turned into a Bret Hart appreciation and rightly so.

I wouldn't be opposed to more threads being a Bret appreciation.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, The Natural said:

D3orOe_XsAAUKPd?format=jpg&name=large

Respect to Becky Lynch from where she started in NXT, remaining over despite not getting the push/booking she required to winning the main event of WrestleMania XXXV. 

Respect to her for even coming back to wrestling after she left the business from 2006-2012 with a concussion injury. She really is The Man. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Eivion said:

I enjoyed Ronda saying Charlotte chopped like a bitch only to get bitch slapped just a bit more.

Oh how could I forget that one. Charlotte fucking BACKHANDED HER IN THE FACE. Loved that.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Raziel said:

C'mon, they had Kofi's plates already set and no one had at Becky's plates ready to go? (There's at least ONE set)

To be fair it kind of makes sense from a story perspective. Kofi wasn't given what was being presented as the current belt, but the old one Daniel Bryan dumped.