DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLEMANIA 35 POST SHOW DISCUSSION

RIPPA

7 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

On checking, it's a 5 hour/343 mile car trip from Metlife Stadium to Ontario. Which might be the quickest way to Canada when you consider that Brock lives in the hard to spell or reach Saskatchewan 

Flying from Newark to Minneapolis to Saskatoon is five and a half hours all together.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

35 minutes ago, Craig H said:

On TV the crowd sounded like they popped big time for the finish and it looked like almost no one left. How was the end of the main event in person? About how I described it on TV?

House was pretty damn full for the main event and people were still way into Becky and her victory. If she's on at say 10pm she might have had the biggest pop. It was between her and Kofi for emotional investment. Seth is still way over too as is AJ but during the AJ match there was a light issue.

• Like 1

Just got home from watching it at a buddy's house. I was tapped out a while ago. They got the most important stuff right (Kofi, Becky) and the rest of it I wasn't all that invested in. Overall, here's my take:

Four hours, one show, indoors. 

Until then, I'm cherry picking. I just can't hang anymore.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Edwin said:

@Niners Fan in CT what was the live reaction to Angle losing like?

It was bad but honestly it was a piss break match for a lot of the crowd. I hate to say it, I love Kurt too but he was in a bad spot. Crowd was happy enough to give him a farewell. I don't think this win will help or hurt Corbin. It's almost as if it didn't happen.

• Like 1

Also, I have to point out, Xavier wasn't just emotional, he was full on ugly crying when Kofi won. Which is an amazing degree of investment in a friend's success. They better never split these three

• Like 11

2 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Also, I have to point out, Xavier wasn't just emotional, he was full on ugly crying when Kofi won. Which is an amazing degree of investment in a friend's success. They better never split these three

This.

• Like 1

I can accept the Joe/Mysterio match if this is the start of Joe having an epic title run where he crushes everyone like old school heel Rusev.

And then loses the title next year to Jon Cena at WrestleMania 36 ? 

Not that I think it was a great choice, but Joe did basically just crush Ali a days before who was having quite the babyface run on Smackdown before that. 

I'm just saying, don't waste it and let it turn it into something. Let Joe be your midcard main event monster. 

Edited by TheVileOne

2 hours ago, SirFozzie said:

If I was HHH and wanted to sell it to Vince, this is the way I put it.

We make Sunday of the week before the NXT Takeover, and that officially starts "Wrestlemania Week"

Axxess throughout the week, Hall of Fame prime time Friday Night, Day 1 of Wrestlemania Saturday, Day 2 of Wrestlemania Sunday.

(and make sure that while folks will consider saturday the lesser WM, that you turn that into a "give the fans more of they want" day. (longer matches, Smarkfavorites, etcetera). Hold the women's battle royal one day, and the Andre the other.)

If you're making a multi-night Wrestlemania Week, personally how I'd switch it:

Every year, the go-home Raw/Smackdown are sold as the "Season Finale" of that show, with Smarkamania/Smarkdown sold as the "Season Premiere".

The catch for the Season Finale episodes:

No wrestler who is booked in a Wrestlemania match can wrestle on the go-home Raw or Smackdown, with video packages for the matches. 

One Wrestlemania-worthy match is held back for the Raw/SD main event, and for the rest of the show, it focuses on blowing off every storyline that was a nagging little thread in the midcard/undercard all year (so the lesser names get their "Mania Moment" too and everyone's paid off before the new season.)

Well, I haven't watched too many full Wrestlemanias since we hit the 20s, so I don't know if it was the best in a while. I preferred 30 for what that's worth.

There were enjoyable moments on the show and Bryan vs. Kofi was poetry - the match of the weekend of all shows. Worth tuning in for that.

Conversely HHH vs. Batista was my least favourite match of the weekend outside the hour I caught of the Blackcraft show, which I went into knowing it was already gaining legend as WrestleCrap. I also felt the slow death during Shane vs. Miz. The executives need need to stay backstage on a show with 90 talents booked.

The whole thing was just too damn long. We're heading toward AJW Egg Dome levels of over-indulgence. Anything pleasurable will feel tarnished if it is packaged alongside a lot of mediocre to regulation stuff, and doubly so if that takes 8hrs to digest. Seriously, people sometimes bag on those 4-6 min WK/WM matches but they keep the show going if you feel that that feud needs to blow off/amplify in this spotlight.

Brock/Rollins was smart opening the regular show. It was a cool surprise when energy was rising. Good thinking. I'm not sure I liked the thinking behind the match (oh, Brock has a weak dick, he is the anti-Joey Ryan, BOOK IT) though.

The main felt rushed but I liked the style they tried out. Didn't feel like a main event in execution though I understood why they got the spot.

Maybe it's because I can usually be found over in the Japan sub-forum that I think G1 Supercard was better (certainly not beyond critique), but let it be known I thought Takeover was better than both. Brevity and impact can never be underestimated in art.

Edited by sevendaughters