DVDVR Message Board

NHL OFFSEASON (New season starts 10/2/19)

RIPPA

I could say a lot about the Calder voting but literally nobody outside an insane asylum can disagree with this: the 9 voters who didn't have Dahlin in their top 5 and the 38 who didn't have Heiskenin in their top 5 should have both their voting rights and hockey media credentials stripped immediately. I personally think not having both in your top 3 is bad but not having them top 5 is completely indefensible. At least they were smart enough to give Trotz the Jack Adams for one of the greatest coaching jobs in the history of hockey in taking a team that got obliterated in the offseason in an unprecedented manner to the 5th best record in the league.

5 hours ago, Death From Above said:

Apparently the Canucks are sniffing around hiring Peter Chiarelli. Between this and Eakins in Anaheim, rapidly all the curses I have wished on my enemies are coming true.

• Haha 1

Everyone sitting through this should become Sabres fans out of gratitude for us being the only team that didn't do a 20 minute monologue before making our pick.

Another salary dump

The Tampa Bay Lightning earned a little breathing room under the NHL salary cap by shipping forward J.T. Miller to the Vancouver Canucks on Saturday.

Miller was moved for goalie Marek Mazanec, a third-round pick in the 2019 draft and a conditional first-round pick in either 2020 or 2021.

He was signed through 2023 at a $5.25 million cap hit annually. The Lightning had just under $5.9 million in cap space before the deal.

I like it. Canucks fans are bitching about a first but it's conditional and it is unlikely a non lottery pick becomes as good as Miller. 

Edited by Oyaji

Does anyone remember in the late 70's when the NY Giants were a dumpster fire owned by incompetent fools and Pete Roselle stepped in and forced them to hire George Young and basically rescued the team? The NHL needs to do the same thing in Buffalo right now because our whole organization is a travesty and embarrasment. Biggest disgrace in all of American/Canadian pro sports.

Roberto Luongo has announced his retirement

And this is fun

There are cap implications for both the Canucks and Panthers because of this decision. The latest NHL collective bargaining agreement retroactively punished teams that gave out contracts like Luongo's that front-loaded money in what was seen as an attempt to circumvent the salary cap. This "recapture penalty" costs the offending team the difference between what the player is really making and the annual average value of the deal. Since Luongo was slated to make significantly less than his $5.33 million AAV, the Canucks will be hit with a $3,033,206 penalty for the next three seasons, while the Panthers are on the hook for $1,094,128 for three seasons.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

hCEE43ADD

Of two minds about this.  A) Luongo is old AF and past his prime and saw the writing on the wall when the Panthers drafted Spencer Knight, so you know, good.  B) He's old AF, but has given a ton of great years to the Panthers (leads *BOTH* them and Vancouver for career wins), and is probably the guy most identifiable with the franchise, so that sucks..  

Godspeed sir.  Enjoy retirement. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

And this is fun

You think those cap numbers are fun, if Shea Weber retires before his contract ends, the Predators would face a 24 million dollar cap hit on recapture penalties over however many years it would. So if he retires with 3 years left on his deal, it’s 8 mill a season off Nashville’s cap, if he retires with 1 year left, it’s the full 24 god damned million off that year.

8 minutes ago, The Man Known as Dan said:

You think those cap numbers are fun, if Shea Weber retires before his contract ends, the Predators would face a 24 million dollar cap hit on recapture penalties over however many years it would. So if he retires with 3 years left on his deal, it’s 8 mill a season off Nashville’s cap, if he retires with 1 year left, it’s the full 24 god damned million off that year.

I'm no legal scholar but I have no idea how the concept of punnishing teams ex post facto for things that were perfectly legal when done could possibly survive a legal challenge. 

• Like 1

It's absurd and a thing only a Micky Mouse league would do. I feel like if Vancouver challenged that ruling they would win because you shouldn't be allowed to punish a team ex post facto.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sabremike said:

I'm no legal scholar but I have no idea how the concept of punnishing teams ex post facto for things that were perfectly legal when done could possibly survive a legal challenge. 

I don't know its kind of like punishing and vilifying baseball players for PEDs when there wasn't a rule against using and the league benefited and marketed the fuck out of the guys who were considered users

I like that Zubov is going in. Always one of my favourites and one of those sneaky great players that never seemed to get proper appreciation when he played. Carbonneau is a weird one, the Selkes are nice, but that seems like quite a stretch. Jere Lehtinen's hopes just skyrocketed.