DVDVR Message Board

NHL OFFSEASON (New season starts 10/2/19)

RIPPA

2 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

NHL Scout. Doug Wilson's hair isn't going anywhere. Nor should it. 

That makes more sense

I got the story via a baseball site so it explains why they were confused too

2 hours ago, Death From Above said:

I expected this outcome, but it’s the NHL so you never know. The only good thing about the labor issues the NHL has had in the last few decades is it’s shaken out to being a pretty good deal on both sides, so they have a good base to work with, where as the MLB, NFL, and to some extent, the NBA’s is screwed.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Death From Above said:

Seems to have gone pretty well.

Merci.

Actually met the great man when I was about 10 and he made his brief comeback with the Rangers. Every bit as great a person as you could imagine. Interesting how many absolute legends I've encountered like him, Gretzky, Espo, Dionne, Robert, Gil, Fetisov, Stastny, Bernie ect. were the nicest people imaginable when I see complete trash nobodies blow off fans (most of whom are kids) on a regular basis hanging out with one of my best friends who is an autograph hound (and does it purely as a hobby and not to sell stuff). 

I remember seeing him play live as a kid at least once in Edmonton, the one season he was with the Rangers. Bunch of fans went nuts every time he touched the puck, doing the Guy chant. In hindsight I think that was pretty cool, he's probably the biggest legend of an era of hockey from before my time that I can actually remember seeing play.

The first game he played in Montreal after coming out of retirement is wild.

• Like 2

The reason it took so long for the authorities in Scottsdale to charge Matthews was because they couldn't find him due to that moustache he grew as a brilliant disguise.

1 hour ago, Death From Above said:

I remember seeing him play live as a kid at least once in Edmonton, the one season he was with the Rangers. Bunch of fans went nuts every time he touched the puck, doing the Guy chant. In hindsight I think that was pretty cool, he's probably the biggest legend of an era of hockey from before my time that I can actually remember seeing play.

Same, saw him once when he was with Quebec and the entire crowd chanted "Guuyyyyyyyyyy" whenever he touched the puck. I would have seen Larry Robinson for sure and probably Trottier, but I'm not sure who else from that 70s era I would have seen live. My dad started taking me to about 20 Jets games a year starting about 86 or 87. But if I saw guys Marcel Dionne or Borje Salming, I was too young to remember.

Hey the Jets got Connor and Laine signed! Neat. Only a bridge deal for Laine, which is a little worrisome, but I guess that gives them two years to prove to him that they're not trying to turn him into Jere Lehtinen. Getting him a proper fucking center and not Bryan Little would be a nice start.

It's funny how fast the Pacific division went from a terror factory to being honestly the weakest division in the league. Edmonton is... Edmonton. The four natural left wingers on this roster had 15 combined NHL goals last season (Granlund had 12 of them), and Zack Kassian is scrimmaging regularly on second line right wing. Vancouver is in a rebuild cycle with an owner that has Strong Opinions their GM has to work with, they have some pieces but they're not ready to contend. LA is the PGA Senior's Tour of the NHL and are kind of an afterthought right now. San Jose have replaced Marleau and Pavelski with Some Guys so I honestly can't see them as a real contender anymore. Anaheim is pretty strong on the blueline and has good goaltending but other than Silfverberg I'm not sure they actually have a high skill forward. The Coyotes are a young team that is a giant perpetual what if and they don't have a #1 goalie that can stay healthy.

Calgary and Vegas are the best teams in this division by a mile, and Calgary's management thinks the reason they don't win in the playoffs was the lack of a guy like Milan Lucic to start scrums after the whistle or something. It's crazy but Vegas might be the safest bet. Again.

San Jose may be better this year than last if they can stay healthy because of how deep they are with young scorers. Pavelski's shooting percentage was insanely high and it'll take a small miracle for him to be nearly as productive as he was. Hitching themselves to Karlsson was the better move. The Pacific sucks and SJS should easily be the best team in the division imo and it's not close. I am still on their bandwagon until the Canucks stop sucking. I don't think we're quite there yet but getting close.

Waving Baertschi is dumb but he was never going to be a difference maker.

Edited by Oyaji

3 hours ago, Oyaji said:

San Jose may be better this year than last if they can stay healthy because of how deep they are with young scorers. Pavelski's shooting percentage was insanely high and it'll take a small miracle for him to be nearly as productive as he was. Hitching themselves to Karlsson was the better move. The Pacific sucks and SJS should easily be the best team in the division imo and it's not close. I am still on their bandwagon until the Canucks stop sucking. I don't think we're quite there yet but getting close.

Waving Baertschi is dumb but he was never going to be a difference maker.

Looks like the Sharks will be missing Evander Kane for a nice stretch after he abused an official.