DVDVR Message Board

NHL OFFSEASON (New season starts 10/2/19)

RIPPA

1 hour ago, Death From Above said:

The gist of why as far as the public statements go, is that they thought very highly of him as an evaluator of players and a scout, but that he struggled with the people management side of the organization.

The first thing is mindblowing given that he was at Jim Benning level in making mindnumbingly stupid player moves.

• Sad 1

So last week the Rangers bought out Kevin Shattenkirk's contract (which amuses me because I was visiting my Mom last week and you would thought it would be mentioned at some point by the local media. Nope)

Anyway - he signed a one year deal with Tampa Bay today because that is clearly where ex-Rangers go to die

Wasn't on here for the playoffs.  I won't claim to be a huge hockey fan, but I know a lot of people who hung in there with the Blues through some rough times and even rougher near-misses.  One of them was my cousin who passed away from brain cancer a few years ago.  Some diehard supporters waited a long time for the Cup and it was very cool to see them finally witness that win; I'm sure Roger was watching.

I was downtown during the victory parade...that was something to witness.

• Like 3

My first thought was “The Panthers have been around for a long while, is this really the first player who would be retired number worthy?

Then I looked at there all time points leaders and fucking woof. Only 1 player with over 400 points as a Panther, and it’s Olli Jokinen at 419. Only two other non active Panthers with more then 300 are Stephen Weiss (394) and Scott Mellanby (354)

It’s possible both Huberdeau and Barkov pass Jokinen for career points as a Panther this year, and they are going into there age 26 and 24 seasons.

My first thought would have been Mellanby, but what % of his career was in Florida? 

And then Vanbriesbrouck, but again, same question. 

Edit: 6 seasons in Philly, 8 in Florida, 2 in Edm, 4 in STL, 2 in ATL for Mellanby

Edited by odessasteps

He had 5 years, which is right on the line I feel for retiring a number, but I just think he was so important to the early years of that team. Tampa has a better than expected inaugural season, but San Jose and Ottawa were jokes for the first few years and Florida could have easily been the same. Beezer made that team a threat. 

3 hours ago, Serious Darius Bagfelt said:

Thought his racist tirade when was coach of the Soo Greyhounds would make this a bit of a PR nightmare

Oof, that I never knew. Sorry Beezer, you're out. Mellanby, you're in.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Niklas Krownwall retired. 

He's been far better the last couple years than his health and age would make you expect but he definitely needed to hang it up. Terrific career.