DVDVR Message Board

Best musical/songs from a musical?

Liam

I couldn't see a thread on this, so if there is one it hasn't seemingly been for a while.

I've been listening to a fair few different songs from my favourite musical theatre shows in recent days, so thought it'd be interesting to see what people like when it comes to this form of entertainment. I'll add mine later, but thought this post could get the ball rolling. Since it is musical as well, you can include films and all that if needs be.

Edited by Liam

I like a lot of fairly standard ones, but a musical I was really surprised by when I went to see it was 'Merrily We Roll Along'. Was brilliant.

I was hoping Opening Doors was the song that came up for this, but isn't quite working out.

Edited by Liam

On 4/9/2019 at 8:53 AM, J.H. said:

For a Jew, I love Jesus Christ Superstar a bit too much...

James

Around Christmas 2 years ago, I actually watched a screening of the movie with Ted Neely, who played Jesus longer than Jesus did.

On 4/7/2019 at 3:44 PM, odessasteps said:

And skipping some of the obvious choices 

I always identified this song with the stage production of 42nd Street, not realizing that 42nd Street was a jukebox musical.

On 4/7/2019 at 6:23 AM, Ace said:

Les Miz mark, here.

I love Les Miz for a lot of the same reasons I love Chess: the endless repetition and remixing of a relatively small number of melodies in different contexts even beyond traditional reprisal.  There are the big stand-out songs that only happen once, but the recurring fragments and songs interest me more.

And speaking of Chess, I always forget how insane the music videos for the original concept-album version were. 

It loses a little something without the prior argument with Freddie, but I couldn't find any live performances or other stuff that includes that, so here's the original cast album version:

This show is so completely insane. I can't believe it exists, and the shitty changes that were made for the Broadway version and prevented anyone from performing the original UK book here (though the 2018 run was much closer)

On 4/8/2019 at 10:42 PM, Curt McGirt said:

Rocky Horror

And you should all be ashamed, considering I otherwise despise musicals. 

Shock Treatment is better, and that's coming from somebody who did Rocky Horror for a ridiculously long time.

• 2 months later...