DVDVR Message Board

NHL 2019 - The Quest for the Cup

odessasteps

Karlsson is still so good even on a faaacked groin and going at what looks like 30-40% speed. Defensive liability in this shape because he relies so much on his skating to close gaps and get himself out of trouble from his swaaashbuckling but he's still so good with the puck. What a series. Logan Couture has gone up in my estimation just about 1000%.

• Like 1

So this means Babcock heads south fleeing a torch carrying mob, crosses the Peace Bridge, makes a beeline to One Seymour Knox Place and begs Botts for a job?

Am I the only one who didn't think that should be a 5-minute penalty on the crosscheck?  The crosscheck itself wasn't all that bad, it was the bodyslam by Stastny that injured Pavelski it looked to me.  The crosscheck that Vegas got called for me in the first few minutes of the game seemed worse (headfirst into the boards).  

Stastny had more of a role in Pavelski being hurt than Eakin, sure.  Probably should've been him who actually gotten penalized  (I mean I wanted both of them to go but I'm clearly biased)

I suspect part of it was getting caught up in the moment/calling the result, and possibly overcorrecting for several non-calls of rough hits earlier in the game/series [of course I'm going to think that, though].

But then I've also seen people cite rules provisions that seem to state that they're supposed to call the result when it comes to Crosschecking.

Did seem rather hotly debated on the social media last night, though, and you're far from alone in thinking it shouldn't have been 5+game on Eakin. 

• Like 1

The reason I ask is that literally no one on the TV coverage questioned it as 5 & game.  I get that they called the outcome but... man.  That penalty ended the season for Vegas and it just doesn't seem like a bad enough penalty to do that.  Nice to know I'm not alone anyway.

[perceived] intent to injure was most likely part of it as well.  I guess it would have to be if there's a Game Misconduct tacked on?

Edited by BobbyWhioux

11 minutes ago, BobbyWhioux said:

[perceived] intent to injure was most likely part of it as well.  I guess it would have to be if there's a Game Misconduct tacked on?

Yeah, intent to injure is required.  I don't see any intent to injure in that play.  Dudes get crosschecked and dumped on faceoffs all the time.

NBC now petitioning the NHL run a losers bracket. Rounds would look this

Capitals-Penguins

Lightning-Leafs

Predators-Jets

Flames-Knights

Note, not actually happening, just funny all the super marketable teams are out save Boston and San Jose while the Blues, Stars, Avs, Jackets, Canes, and Islanders live.

Without Chicago, Detroit, the Rangers and Flyers, and losing Washington and Pittsburgh, NBC will presumably putting all their hopes on Boston going all the way. 

Edited by odessasteps

The NHL has officially announced via apology that they blew the call in the Vegas/SJ game. The on-ice refs "felt" Eakin had hit Pavelski in the head. That makes them look even worse - they called a game-changing major based on feeling not eyesight. 

In overtime of the Columbus/Boston game, while awaiting a faceoff, Brad Marchand stomped on the stick blade of a Columbus player in full view of one or more officials.  The announcers ignored their own replay and said the Columbus guy had broken it himself. The Columbus guy was able to get the stick replaced before the puck was dropped but no penalty for Marchand. Stuff like that is just such chickens---. 

Edited by Tabe
  • Like 1