DVDVR Message Board

Box Office Twenty Nineteen

Brian Fowler

I wonder if anyone's offering odds on Avatar 1 getting a cinematic re-re-release, as a way of promoting Avatar 2? "You've owned it on DVD for a decade, but the real experience is on the big screen, in 3D".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's a perfectly fine if too long sci-fi remix of the Dances With Wolves/Last Samurai/Disney Pocahontas white savior films, with a giant scoop of environmentalist heavy handedness that also echoes, of all things, Fern Gully.

It's also, of course, a reference highlight reel of state of the art CGI circa 2008. Which might actually hold up worse than the paper thin characters and cliched plot.

I don't regret watching it, or even buying the 3 disc Blu-ray, but it's not something I've revisited.

5 hours ago, Matt D said:

I was poking into the Gone With the Wind numbers just out of curiosity and what I hadn't realized before was how buffeted the figure is by decades of rereleases. 

Most older movies do. Especially the ones that predate television

25 minutes ago, Matt D said:

At some point, is there really any difference between buying a ticket and buying a DVD then?

To the studios bottom line? Not really.

But box office is box office.

• 2 weeks later...

Three new entrants in the comic book movies making billion dollars club. Members in chronological order:

1. The Dark Knight (2008)

2. Avengers Assemble (2012)

3. The Dark Knight Rises (2012)

4. Iron Man 3 (2013)

5. Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015)

6. Captain America: Civil War (2016)

7. Black Panther (2018)

8. Avengers: Infinity War (2018)

9. Aquaman (2018)

10. Captain Marvel (2019)

11. Avengers: Endgame (2019)

12. Spider-Man: Far From Home (2019)

9 are from Marvel Studios' Marvel Cinematic Universe.

3 by DC.

Edited by The Natural

I forgot Iron Man 3 and Captain America: Civil War achieved that. Aquaman is the only one I haven't seen. Will have to along with Shazam so I've seen all the from the DCEU.

Edited by The Natural

19 minutes ago, The Natural said:

I forgot Iron Man 3 and Captain America: Civil War achieved that. Aquaman is the only one I haven't seen. Will have to along with Shazam so I've seen all the from the DCEU.

Friends don't let friends feel like they need to be DCEU completionists. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Ground breaking innovation that impressed a lot of people, drew fans from beyond the genre, but gradually came to be seen as over rated and derivative? I dunno, Scream?

• Thanks 1

‘The Kitchen’ Serves Melissa McCarthy a New Box Office Low One Year After ‘The Happytime Murders’

On paper, Warner Bros./New Line’s “The Kitchen” seemed to have a lot going for it, especially with box office draws Melissa McCarthy and Tiffany Haddish on board. But after poor reviews, Andrea Berloff’s directorial debut is flopping hard at the box office, grossing only $5.5 million from 2,765 screens in its opening this weekend.

Heading into the weekend, analysts who spoke to TheWrap said that an opening of around $10 million was expected. While far from a strong opening, it was at least projected to outperform Fox’s “The Art of Racing in the Rain,” which opened this weekend to just $8.1 million.

Melissa McCarthy is now box office

Surely we've cycled through to a time far enough away where whether or not SCREAM was new or significant revision doesn't matter anymore and now it's just a really good old slasher movie. Like, at some point the historical debate of the moment is lost to history right because it, and everything before it and everything after it is all just "old."