DVDVR Message Board

Box Office Twenty Nineteen

Brian Fowler

24 minutes ago, piranesi said:

Surely we've cycled through to a time far enough away where whether or not SCREAM was new or significant revision doesn't matter anymore and now it's just a really good old slasher movie. Like, at some point the historical debate of the moment is lost to history right because it, and everything before it and everything after it is all just "old."

I think the meta "isn't this stupid, but now that we pointed it out, it's not stupid" humor aged really fucking poorly. 

This is a very on-brand response from me, but Behind the Mask gets to a lot of the same points Scream did, without being nearly so snotty and insufferable. And, when it finally gets down to business, it holds it's own as a slasher as well.

That said, the opening sequence of Scream is masterpiece level work. As good as Craven ever did.

Edited by Brian Fowler
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

On Monday, despite only being on 667 screens and only having one showing per screen, 3 From Hell finished in third place and, just to underscore how big a bomb this is, it more than tripled the daily gross of The Goldfinch, which was on 2,542 screens with full lineups of showing.

3 From Hell is making a one day return to theaters next month on the 14th, the day before it hits home video.

Well, partially I assume it takes some time to schedule it for Fathom. Also, I mean, the Blu-ray is out the next day, so it's a short window.

And, who knows how much demand is really left? It already out grossed both of Rob's last two flicks.

Okay, didn't know what Fathom Events were but had to look them up. How are they different from, well, just going to the theater and watching a showing of something? I mean in my town we've been doing special showings of shit for years and it seems like they're doing the same thing, just marketing them as "but everyone across the country is seeing them at the same time! Woo hoo!"

Thinking about it, I guess anything getting people into the cinema is a good thing

Edited by Curt McGirt

It's basically a streaming service for theaters.

One thing to keep in mind: by doing a limited Fathom release for 3FH, they didn't spend millions advertising it. I'm not sure they did any TV spots, the only theatrical advertising was through Fathom itself, etc etc. If they'd put this out on 1,500 screens with multiple showings a day, etc, they would've spent at least a few million on advertising. Which means it would've needed to gross something like $10 million to break even. Instead, it sounds like they are at least close to if not into profit on the $1.9 million they did last week. 

For me, most limited release movies never play closer than an hour drive each way, so I'm really glad it was a Fathom Event, and one my local theater decided to participate in (sadly, most of the classic films, including Ghibli Fest, doesn't come here)

Hell, I might go again on the 14th.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I remember a time when all Will Smith did was star in monster hits.

That seems so long ago.

Since Gemini Man is estimated to bring in about $60 million in loses (Its at $148 million worldwide right now which is a little more than its report budget. However, industry INSIDERS~! say it needs to hit $275 million to break even.

The rental industry is completely dead now, right? I mean there is exactly one (1) Family Video chain store, also currently selling CBD products to try and make their nut, in my moderately sized college town. We used to have at least 4-5... a decade ago. 

Just asking because movies like Gemini Man used to be able to recoup off that money...

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

The rental industry is completely dead now, right? I mean there is exactly one (1) Family Video chain store, also currently selling CBD products to try and make their nut, in my moderately sized college town. We used to have at least 4-5... a decade ago. 

Just asking because movies like Gemini Man used to be able to recoup off that money...

They tend to recoup some off selling streaming rights, but, yeah, the twin massive revenue streams of rental stores and DVD sales have dried up considerably.

4 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

29 million domestic opening weekend for Dark Fate. Is it finally time to stop making Terminator movies? Please?

About $20 min less than Genesis (however the fuck they spelled it)

On 11/3/2019 at 11:25 PM, Brian Fowler said:

About $20 min less than Genesis (however the fuck they spelled it)

Correcting myself, that was Salvation's numbers. Gensys did pretty similar to DF

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/8/2019 at 11:08 AM, The Natural said:

Three new entrants in the comic book movies making billion dollars club. Members in chronological order:

1. The Dark Knight (2008)

2. Avengers Assemble (2012)

3. The Dark Knight Rises (2012)

4. Iron Man 3 (2013)

5. Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015)

6. Captain America: Civil War (2016)

7. Black Panther (2018)

8. Avengers: Infinity War (2018)

9. Aquaman (2018)

10. Captain Marvel (2019)

11. Avengers: Endgame (2019)

12. Spider-Man: Far From Home (2019)

9 are from Marvel Studios' Marvel Cinematic Universe.

3 by DC.

You can now add Joker (2019) to the list. Amazing performance considering Joker is a Rated-R, 2D only origin movie about the greatest comic book villain of all time without a release in China.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

The Charlie's Angels reboot took a bath

It only made $8.6 million its opening weekend. I had missed that the studio apparently saw this coming and slashed the advertising budget in the lead up to the movie.

Oh and since I am talking under-performing movies - it appears that Doctor Sleep won't even make as much as the original Shining did

Charlie's Angels made $27M worldwide on a $45M budget its opening weekend.  It isn't an action movie, so it's harder to adapt to non-English speaking countries.  It is by no means a bomb, and the almost concerted effort to treat it as such by the press seems to confirm Banks' theory of male bias by the film industry.

The choice of bomb was mine based on just domestic so you can argue with me on that regarding word choice.

The story I saw the numbers from acknowledged it should have no effect on Banks' standing (and this is splitting hairs but it puts the budget at $50 million)

Opening in third place with a thud was Sony’s reboot of Charlie’s Angels, which despite Kristen Stewart in the lead, Elizabeth Banks behind the camera and a known IP from film and TV took in a crushing $8.6 million. The studio reportedly cut their ad budget in half in anticipation of a non-starter, which has earned poor reviews critical of a lack of action compared to the two previous McG-helmed films. With a budget in the $50 million range it shouldn’t be a huge loser for the studio, and Pitch Perfect‘s Banks will more than likely recover on her next directing project. The film earned $19.3 million internationally for a $27.9 million worldwide total.

I saw the trailer before a couple movies, and I know I saw a couple tv spots, but not much.

It's probably not going to turn a profit theatrically, but it has a decent chance to at least break even at the end of everything.