DVDVR Message Board

Box Office Twenty Nineteen

Brian Fowler

On 5/20/2019 at 5:03 PM, Bustronaut said:

It's been out less than a month, I'm guessing Disney will keep it out there as long as it takes to break the record.  It's only $173M behind.

I can see Disney bringing Avengers: Endgame back out for any award campaigns and any sort of milestone as a reason to.

Edited by The Natural

John Wick Chapter 3 has already passed the total gross of both the first two movies. I sincerely hope they just keep making these until the heat death of the universe.

20 minutes ago, Contentious C said:

The universe won't experience heat death.  It'll start to break down, then John Wick will show up, and, after exchanging a few respectful but sarcastic lines of dialogue, he'll shoot it in the face.

Well, you're the scientist, I'll take your word for it. ?

• Haha 1

On 5/20/2019 at 11:08 AM, Matt D said:

What's the consensus here? That Avengers will get just over 2.7 Billion worldwide but won't make it past 2,788?

@Brian Fowler Your guess?

On 5/20/2019 at 12:55 PM, Brian Fowler said:

Before last weekend, it looked like a lock. But it slowed down a lot worldwide against Detective Pikachu, and it looks like it's going to be a close race now.

It looks highly unlikely it'll get to the record now. It's about $56 million away, and only did about 16.5 worldwide this weekend.

Unless Disney really wants to force it with a big re-release, maybe just before Far From Home or something.

Still, absurdly huge hit

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

You been able to largely avoid major spoilers? 

For End Game actually yes

Infinity War I had probably the major plot point spoiled fairly early on. (My wife also had seen half the movie because the kids were watching it at Christmas and she couldn't avoid it). But for some reason people immediately memed the hell out of Infinity War and either I have done a better job of filtering that this time or folks just didn't do it.

Godzilla had a weird weekend.

Studio expectations were low-mid 50's. It way overperformed Friday, and everyone revised estimates to low 60's.

Then it collapsed Saturday and Sunday and finished at about 49.

So basically Dark Phoenix's bombing is being blamed on James Cameron 

Per Hollywood Reporter

At first, the movie had a release date of Nov. 2, 2018. With more work needed on the movie, it was pushed to Feb. 14, 2019. Then, with marketing already underway, Fox pushed the release date to June 3, 2019. Initially, the studio messaged that the move was to take advantage of a Chinese release and hopes for a strong global performance.

However, insiders tell THR that the move was to placate James Cameron, Fox’s most important filmmaker, and his concerns for his movie, Alita: Battle Angel. According to one source, Cameron felt Alita would lose horribly when facing a December opening weekend that included Aquaman and Bumblebee, with Mary Poppins Returns opening up two days earlier. He wanted his expensive movie shifted. Stacey Snider, according to this source, obliged, giving Alita the February date and moving Dark Phoenix to June. “Emma, Hutch and Simon begged her not do it,” says this source.

Part of the reasoning was that Dark Phoenix was not designed to be a summer movie, says the Fox insider. In some ways, it was designed to be an anti-Apocalypse, to have less spectacle and scale. Big for off-season, too small for summer, says this person.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/we-were-wrong-behind-dark-phoenix-foxs-dismal-x-men-franchise-finale-plans-1216859?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

(The story lists lots of reasons but it is fun to be click baity and just blame James Cameron)

After a terrible opening weekend, Dark Phoenix broke a box office record for super hero movies. It fell 83.2% Friday to Friday, breaking BvS's record 81% freefall.

It's the third worst Friday to Friday drop ever for any "big" movie, behind the last Harry Potter (84%) and High School Musical 3 (90%)

So, despite being a horrible opening, it was also somehow massively front loaded.

(BTW, I actually found it to be perfectly fine, and @Casey liked it more than I did. It deserves better than this.)

Edited by Brian Fowler

Toy Story 4 isn't doing bad, but it is looking like it's going to open 15-20 million below Disney's official forecast, and closer to 35-40 million below Box Office Mojo's.

So Disney isn't quite invincible yet, I guess.

11 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Toy Story 4 isn't doing bad, but it is looking like it's going to open 15-20 million below Disney's official forecast, and closer to 35-40 million below Box Office Mojo's.

So Disney isn't quite invincible yet, I guess.

And yet there's still Lion King and Fro2en. 

But, yeah, right now Disney has the number 1, 2, 3, 9, and 11 highest grossing movies of the year domestic. 

And 1, 2, 3, 7*, 9, 14 and 15** worldwide.

*Fox actually, but they own it now

**Fox but after the purchase closed.

• 4 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

It made a kinda surprising push the last couple weeks, after looking like it wasn't going to make it.

I'm surprised. Thought it would need a re-release at Christmas or more likely the campaign for Academy Awards.

Edited by The Natural