DVDVR Message Board

Box Office Twenty Nineteen

Brian Fowler

I saw Avatar when I rented it. I didn't think it was anything special. It was better than the piece of money making garbage that was Jurassic World, but it's another one of those movies where I can't understand why people kept going back to see it. And then there were the people who would have Avatar depression or whatever the fuck it was called.

15 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Older than the number you're thinking of. Probably.

I admire your resistance to peer pressure and the lure of 3D then. Curt and Rippa are just weirdos.

Edited by Matt D

28 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Just for the record, how old are you? I don't think I know anyone over a certain age that didn't see Avatar in the theater.

I will up the age on this again. 

Just now, Curt McGirt said:

I am a weirdo, yeah, but CGI just fucking sucks. And the 3D box was ticked off when I saw The Mask from '61 when I was like nine! (Note: it is also not fun to be legally blind without glasses and try to watch a film in 3D)

Watching 3D with corrective glasses now is better than it was, but the headache I walked out of Endgame with makes that my last 3D movie.

I didn't see Avatar in the cinema either. On DVD that Christmas, at my dad's house. I fell asleep. Watched it on telly a few years later and stayed awake all the way through. Turns out I hadn't missed much.

I'm a few months shy of 30, and I've never seen a 3D or IMAX movie. Never saw Avatar, not even on DVD or through something like Netflix or HBO. Then again, the first part of what I said is because 3D/IMAX isn't in my town - I'd either have to drive 30 minutes to the next town for 3D, or an hour and a half if I wanted 3D and/or IMAX and a nice theater. My town has an old timey theater with only two screens, and a drive-in on the outskirts of town.

Avatar looked stupid so I never saw it, and I still have no desire to see it. The topic at work lately, due to Endgame, has been how Avatar somehow managed to become the #1 movie of all-time. By their accounts, it's a bad movie and only got to the top spot because 3D/IMAX or whatever wasn't that widespread at the time and that drove interest in the movie due to regular folk not knowing what the hell any of that meant or would be like when they experienced it.

When I saw Avengers the other day, they started handing out 3d glasses and all the people around me were confused since it was a regular screening. They had even switched the trailers to 3d.

Luckily, they switched it back before the movie started. 

On 5/8/2019 at 3:35 PM, Matt D said:

I saw Endgame in 3D but not by choice. It was a showtime thing. 

This is the only reason I see movies in 3D anymore. The gimmick does nothing for me and the glasses kill the colour and brightness.

Only once have I ever paid to see a movie in 3D because I heard the gimmick was decent. That was Hugo. 

44 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

This is the only reason I see movies in 3D anymore. The gimmick does nothing for me and the glasses kill the colour and brightness.

Only once have I ever paid to see a movie in 3D because I heard the gimmick was decent. That was Hugo. 

The last movie I saw in 3D because I wanted to see it in 3D was Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets.

Last one I saw in 3D was Homecoming, also just because of showtime.

Avatar, I think, is better than some of the backlash against it. I say that, but I haven't watched it since shortly after the collector's edition Blu-ray came out. It's certainly not great, but the effects and action were absolutely state of the art.

Anyway, Endgame is going to take the worldwide record, probably by the end of next weekend. But it has now slipped about ten million behind the pace of Force Awakens and is dropping rapidly. It'll pass Black Panther in the next few days domestically, and Avatar as well, but it looks like it'll probably top out somewhere around "only" $800-850 million.

Detective Pikachu had the highest video game adaptation opening ever ($58 million)

Previous record holder was the original Tomb Raider at $47.7 million

On 5/10/2019 at 5:16 AM, The Natural said:

I've never seen Avatar either.

Dredd (2012), Gravity (2013), Mad Max: Fury Road (2015) and Doctor Strange (2016) are the only 3D movies I've seen in the format that were worth it.

Gravity is still the best use of 3D I've ever seen. The movie doesn't work nearly as well at home in 2D.

• Like 1

Before last weekend, it looked like a lock. But it slowed down a lot worldwide against Detective Pikachu, and it looks like it's going to be a close race now.