DVDVR Message Board

Box Office Twenty Nineteen

Brian Fowler

For s**ts and giggles I decided to look up how well Dragon Ball Super: Broly did in theaters. It did almost 40 mil here and over 100 mil worldwide. That's pretty impressive. Seems DBS has been growing in popularity, which hopefully means more episodes of the TV series will be coming

Boy - did Dumbo shit the bed

Its "only" made $110 million domestically in 6 weeks. (its foreign box office is $220 million which saves it)

I mean it is kinda sad when a Disney movie is "underperforming" when still making over $100 million domestically but the BO landscape has changed

8 hours ago, RIPPA said:

And we aren't even gonna talk about the mistake Uglydolls made thinking it would be counter programming to End Game

There is something to the premise of "if avengers is sold out, people need to see something else. Why not us?"

35 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

It did adjust up, but fell just shy of best second weekend.

Disappointing. I know there's no logical reason I should care, but it bugs me to see a movie as aggressively mediocre as The Force Awakens holding records.

I haven't even seen Titanic or Avatar: Not The Last Airbender, which is why I didn't mention them. I'm pretty clearly not in the target market for Titanic, but from everything I've heard it's pretty good. As for ANTLA... well, its lack of pop cultural impact despite a bazillion people having seen it speaks for itself IMO. 

I would never stump for Endgame as the best movie of all time, but it's an excellent action blockbuster and the culmination of possibly the most ambitious long-term plan in cinema history. So yeah, I could stomach it holding all the records more than the competition (except maybe Titanic, which apparently did what it did very well).

(And I realize The Force Awakens doesn't even hold any meaningful records. It has the biggest second weekend in history in one specific country. Who cares, really?)

Edited by tbarrie

Titanic wasn't a great movie.  It just had an amazing effect of the ship sinking tied in with Leo blowing up, at a time when Teens *would* go to the movies and see Titanic every week and not have anything else to do.  It was a perfect storm that probably won't happen again.

Avatar wasn't a great movie, but had the benefit of being the "first" of the new wave of IMAX 3D movies that cranked up ticket prices, and everyone pimped seeing it in 3D because the effects were mindblowing at the time, even if the story had been done twice before in the last 20 years.  

Essencially, Cameron just has a knack for making shit using groundbreaking effects and dropping them at just the right time, and that the conditions won't happen again.  So you're only really hitting Titanic and Avatar levels with an entry of a massive franchise with a ton of push behind it (SW movies, Marvel Movies), or something with a Mind Blowing effect that's never been done and everyone wants to see in theaters because home screens are going to do it justice (Like when the first 8K/60fps IMAX 3D movie with Smell-o-vision attached movie hits.

Avatar is just fine at being a weird, way too long SciFi mashup up of Fern Gully, Dances With Wolves, Pocahontas (Disney), and The Last Samurai.

But it really would be hard to find a movie even remotely close to as successful that persisted in the public memory less than it did

How do you reckon Avatar 2 is going to do? Because I can't see any way it doesn't wind up considered to be a massive flop (even if it ends up being a big hit, that would be a disappointment, because it's supposed to be an enormously gigantic hit). No way does it do close to the business the first one did.

5 hours ago, AxB said:

How do you reckon Avatar 2 is going to do? Because I can't see any way it doesn't wind up considered to be a massive flop (even if it ends up being a big hit, that would be a disappointment, because it's supposed to be an enormously gigantic hit). No way does it do close to the business the first one did.

On one hand, everything you say makes sense.

On the other, it's really not ever been a good idea to bet against James Cameron in the director's chair.

This is where I miss Jingus since he was the biggest Avatar defender around.

Or the biggest hater. I can't remember which now.

There was no middle ground with him on that movie

He loved it. He would insist people quote it all the time, despite none of the rest of us having ever heard anyone.

And... Avatar 2 is being bumped back again

I remember he had some logic that Avatar was a better movie than some classic because its box office made it better.

GOD DAMMIT WHY DID THE BOARD CRASH! MY MEMORY HATES ME!

It was literally Dances With Wolves in Space, with a bit of the 3rd act of Last Samurai if it had a happy ending tossed in.  It's lasting impact was bringing back 3D and making IMAX viable for big budget movies. 

On 5/6/2019 at 4:41 PM, odessasteps said:

When your record holders are things like Titanic or Avatar or a 21st century Star War movie, Endgame at least being above average is something I guess. ?

Never underestimate the possibility of anything popular being garbage. 

Unobtainium was used in both.  They made the Drill out of it in The Core, and it's the mysterious metal that was apparently only found underneath the Navi Tree on Pandora in Avatar, although in Avatar it was spelled Unobtanuim.

21 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I've never seen Avatar and don't feel like I missed much. For a movie that successful, I'm surprised how little of it got into my brain through cultural osmosis. 

I've heard of unobtainium and nothing else.

Just for the record, how old are you? I don't think I know anyone over a certain age that didn't see Avatar in the theater.

Edited by Matt D

I didn't see Avatar in the theater, but that's mostly because I didn't know anyone else that wanted to see it and at that time, I hate going to movies alone. I missed out on some really big movies in the theater due to timing or my ex-wife not letting me do shit with my friends, so I missed out on stuff like Avengers 1, Fast Five, and some other stuff. Iron Man 2 was another I missed out on.