DVDVR Message Board

2019 Q2 TV DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

I actually think Angel was wildly inconsistent. Season 4 is the only season of a Joss Whedon show I would call bad. But then Season 5 was one of the greatest seasons of TV ever made.

And, God, fuck those Buffy HD versions forever.

Has anyone been watching Deep State? I enjoyed the first season, it sorta scratched the 24 itch that has been missing from TV for a while, but have only just started catching up on the second season. Mark Strong is out and Walton Goggins is in, still a pretty solid show.

I'm another huge Angel fan (but weirdly, I've never seen Buffy). I haven't watched Angel in a long, long time - but the Entertainment Weekly cast reunion video that's on YouTube reminded me how much I loved Wesley's journey in the show, and Fred's too. Illyria is still one of my favorite characters that didn't get much of a chance to expand and grow, since they only had 7 episodes until the end when the Illyria character debuted. They rushed the relationship between her and Wesley, but it was satisfying come the end of the series (and with Wesley's death).

I hated the series finale when it first happened. I was a late bandwagon jumper on Angel - S5 was the only season I watched live as it aired, all of the others were through DVDs or syndication on TNT in the mornings while I'd get ready for school. One more season and I think I would have been really satisfied with the show as a whole, but it still seems a little unresolved. Ultimately, I like "Not Fade Away" as a series finale, it wraps up everything nicely but doesn't give you a definitive ending. But I still wish we got another 22 episodes to live in that world - Illyria and Spike were just starting to gel with the rest of the cast, and the dynamic of Angel Investigations being the main players at Wolfram & Heart was really exciting.

EDIT: I see Angel is streaming on Hulu, so guess what I'm going to be doing for the next 2 weeks probably...

Edited by Casey

Loved Angel. Always thought it was better than Buffy on the whole, but that is more because I don't think it had any particularly weak seasons like Buffy did. Buffy still had strong moments and episodes, but I always thought it lost something around S5. I actually dug the series finale a good deal. That said I dug the S6 comic in hell a good deal and would suggest all read it. Unfortunately I think its one the trades I lost in Harvey. Going to have to hunt that down again at some point.

48 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Loved Angel. Always thought it was better than Buffy on the whole, but that is more because I don't think it had any particularly weak seasons like Buffy did. Buffy still had strong moments and episodes, but I always thought it lost something around S5. I actually dug the series finale a good deal. That said I dug the S6 comic in hell a good deal and would suggest all read it. Unfortunately I think its one the trades I lost in Harvey. Going to have to hunt that down again at some point.

I really liked After The Fall, but it does kinda lose part of what made the finale perfect. I was always perfectly fine believing they died fighting, personally.

Showtime's City on a Hill is your new go-to dirty cop show (Tom Fontana strikes again). Kevin Bacon plays a skuzzy, coke-snorting fed in Boston who plays the yin to Aldis Hodge's uncorrupted DA yang, back in '92 when Charlestown was the bank robbery capital of the world. Looks like there's only seven episodes so this should be a brisk, brutal run of a show. 

Watching Years and Years, I got the sense that RTD brought over some of the musical talent from his run on Doctor Who. Sure enough, go to Wikipedia and it's Murray Gold. Nice to know I have an ear for something I haven't watched in ages.

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy

On 6/24/2019 at 6:23 AM, Craig H said:

I mean, in the first 5 minutes while Ed and Madeline are sitting in a therapy session where Madeline has cheated on Ed by having sex with another man, committed emotional infidelity, and betrayed absolutely every shred of trust Ed has ever had, the writers thought it would be a sweet idea to have the therapist, also a woman, turn to Ed and say, "Let's talk about your betrayal." Ed, I'm assuming represents us as the audience because he sat there dumbstruck and basically responded with, "uh, what? My betrayal? I've been 100% loyal and have supported my crazy, lunatic wife in a myriad of ways. I'm constantly empathetic to her and don't look to solve her problems. She's the one who destroyed our marriage..." It's one of those moments where I was like, fuck this show.

OK I'm glad I'm not the only one who was totally baffled by that.  I like how in the first season it took half a dozen therapy sessions before the therapist got onto Perry but minute 1 she's accusing Ed of being the one to blame for everything when they came in there specifically because Madeline cheated on him. 

The way this is heading, I'm expecting Meryl Streep to go full Mrs. Voorhee's by the end of this and go on a payback murder rampage.

Edited by CSC
  • Like 1

Just read that the next season of Supernatural (season 15) will be the last.

How did that show get 15 years?  Why?  Just... why?

Kripke felt like giving the show season 5 was stretching it.

Also just read that the coming season (4 )of Preacher is the last.  Kinda sad.  Didn't feel Preacher should run more than, say. five seasons, but I wasn't ready for the series to end, either.

18 hours ago, Doc Townsend said:

Just read that the next season of Supernatural (season 15) will be the last.

How did that show get 15 years?  Why?  Just... why?

Kripke felt like giving the show season 5 was stretching it.

Also just read that the coming season (4 )of Preacher is the last.  Kinda sad.  Didn't feel Preacher should run more than, say. five seasons, but I wasn't ready for the series to end, either.

IIRC, didn't the original creators consider it done after like four or five years, only to have the CW renew it against their wishes and without them?

Neon Genesis Evangelion

I vaguely remembered watching the first episode way back in the 90's, as kid (11, 12, 13?) the scene when a naked Rei falls on top of Shinji was imprinted in my mind forever (that was apparently a lot for my horny young self). Because the show was either on cable (that I did not have) or on a friend's VHS tape (I'm not sure) it meant that I never watched more than that first episode.

Fast forward to about 3 years ago when I decided to finally watch the whole thing, of what was now one of the most famous and important animes of all time that I had culturally absorbed throughout years, and not only wasn't that Rei scene hot at all I fucking hated the show and stopped on episode 10 (episode 9 was the real breaking point, but I forced myself to watch one more).

Fast forward, again, to now and the big news that EVA was finally (legally) coming back to the West in full force on Netflix. Somehow the EVA allure was too strong for me to resist and bit the bullet I decided to watch it (but from episode 11 on). Even with the translation controversy going on (ooof) and some little things that still annoyed me, these "new" episodes had way less of the tonal weirdness that threw me off the first time and I was gradually enjoying the show more and more until...

NEON

GENESIS

EVANGELION

EPISODE: 25

Do you love me?

Huh... This got real good all of sudden...

NEON

GENESIS

EVANGELION

FINALE

Take care of yourself 

I'm not worthy.This is one the greatest things I've ever watched. I'm not worthy.

Do yourself a favor watch NGE. Do it.      

• RIPPA locked and unpinned this topic