DVDVR Message Board

2019 Q2 TV DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

14 minutes ago, CSC said:

Yea ... pretty sure no half decent investigator is mistaking this for "tripping and falling"

Sadly, most self-defense / repel violence with violence laws only grant the justifiable homicide clearance to the direct victim of the attack unless there is a Stand Your Ground clause that allows them to be proactive in their self defense.

Since it sounds like Bonnie has been the subject of such violence in the past, she would be well within her right to shoot this man dead if he attempted to attack her again  IF she lived in a Stand Your Ground state.  Even the threat of violence can initiate a violent response aka "I feared for my life, so I did X."

Otherwise, she'd have to meet the self defense burden where she was left with no other option other than to kill the man in order to preserve her own life.  You have to prove that you were forced to fight because you did not have the opportunity to flee.

Most states grant a Samaritan clause to justifiable homicide laws because no reasonable person would allow someone else to be murdered if they had the means to prevent it, even if the means is lethal.  This is the statute that would provide the best legal defense for the ladies from this television show.. 

it would be up to the defense team to show that this man had a history of violence that warranted this response, but the defense does not necessarily need police records if there are medical records that prove the domestic abuse and there probably are..

The testimony of any examining doctors ("She said she burned herself on the stove, but I knew it was bullshit.) would also be a great help.

Edited by J.T.

13 hours ago, HumanChessgame said:

Is The Passage worth watching? I enjoyed the source material but all the reviews I've heard have been unanimously bad.

Never read the source material, but I thought it was ok. That said I wouldn't say its worth watching since its dead already and was just decent. 

• Like 1

On 5/25/2019 at 11:52 AM, Curt McGirt said:

Found What We Do In The Shadows on Prime yesterday and watched it again. Despite Prime having a brainfart and cutting off the audio on me 15 minutes before the end, I loved it. A bit darker than the series, but the series is funnier. I think it not being an exclusive boys' club helps in that respect. But yeah, regarding Natural's reservations, both film and series are shockingly close to each other -- they didn't miss a beat. 

My favorite bit of trivia is that Stu from the movie created and operated the specialized lighting for the Hela -v- Valkyrie flashback scene in Thor: Ragnarok.

• Thanks 1

The new Press Your Luck debut last night and it was so much better than I expected it to be.

I initially rolled my eyes at the $1 Million Bonus Bonanza junk, but the personalized prizes are the nice touch (Baby Stuff!) and it added more time with the board, which is the best part of the show anyway.  I'll be interested to see if it will keep up once the winning contestant isn't a dude like Stevey who had us practically crying by the end of the show. 

Edited by CSC
  • Like 1

I just finished season 1 of Joe Pera’s tv show and it was one of my favourite seasons of anything ever.   If you haven’t seen it, Pera is this weird, old-acting sarcasm-free comedian.  And the show starts silly enough with Pera discussing the rocks of Michigan before he’s interrupted by a family who wants to buy his house even though it’s not for sale and he feels like it would be dishonest to not accept their offer, then the second episode is just him talking about breakfast but the show slowly morphs into still being silly but also strangely touching with a little romance (such as it is) and surprisingly introspective.  I loved it.  I’m excited for a second season but the first was so perfect I almost don’t want another 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, caley said:

I just finished season 1 of Joe Pera’s tv show and it was one of my favourite seasons of anything ever.   If you haven’t seen it, Pera is this weird, old-acting sarcasm-free comedian.  And the show starts silly enough with Pera discussing the rocks of Michigan before he’s interrupted by a family who wants to buy his house even though it’s not for sale and he feels like it would be dishonest to not accept their offer, then the second episode is just him talking about breakfast but the show slowly morphs into still being silly but also strangely touching with a little romance (such as it is) and surprisingly introspective.  I loved it.  I’m excited for a second season but the first was so perfect I almost don’t want another 

Joe Pera is hilarious. The episode about church/Baba O’Reilly was one of the best TV episodes of anything in years.,

• Like 1

I just watched two new HBO shows.

Los Espookys is insane and wonderful. It is a Spanish language comedy about a group of weirdos who make horror movie sets. That is not really doing it justice. It is sort of like if Wes Anderson made a telenovela. Fred Armisen is the recognizable name but the real forces behind it are Julio Torres and Ana Fabrega, who are getting their big break after doing some really awesome stuff in the New York comedy scene for ages. Julio is a writer on SNL. He wrote the “Boy In Well” commercial that is one of my favorites. This show is really off-kilter and really silly and a lot of fun.

Euphoria is awful. Constant voice over and non-stop horrible direction and everything terrible. 

I also got through the entire season of Trinkets on Netflix. It is also about troubled teens but it is really well made. It is about three girls from the same high school who form an unfriendly friendship when they bond in shoplifters anonymous. It is also produced/directed/written by all women, which I think help makes the main characters feel so completely real. The other characters come off as a little forced and not realized but overall it was a good watch.

I'm not sure why I keep watching Big Little Lies, but there's something hilariously awful about it. This episode was better, but it's like whoever writes this shit has no idea how human beings communicate with each other. Everything with Meryl Streep is just...bad. It's really bad. She's a good actress and her performance on this season is making her look pretty bad. It's not all her fault. She's just reciting the lines she's given. But man is it bad.

The only part that was shocking or that I liked was the stuff with Ed. Even in season 1 I felt like I could identify with Ed. This episode just reinforced that feeling. This was the one moment where I felt like they kinda nailed human interaction because it was what it's like to discover your spouse was unfaithful. I kept saying that Ed just needs to get the hell out so it's good that it looks like we're headed in that direction.

Everything with Bonnie and her mom was maybe some of the worst shit I've seen on TV in a long time. The dinner scene in particular is peak "the writers don't understand how people talk to each other." Her mom said some wildly unrealistic shit to Bonnie's husband. I sat there slack jawed. 

Criminal

The video doesn't say a single name so most people won't be able to name folks beyond David Tennant and Hayley Atwell

The U.K.: Katherine Kelly Lee Ingleby, Mark Stanley, Rochenda Sandall and Shubham Saraf star with Tennant and Atwell guest starring alongside Youssef Kerkour, and Clare-Hope Ashitey.

France: Margot Bancilhon, Laurent Lucas, Stéphane Jobert, Anne Azoulay and Mhamed Arezki star alongside guest stars Nathalie Baye, Jérémie Renier and Sara Giraudeau.

Spain: Jorge Bosch, José Ángel Egido, Nuria Mencía, Daniel Chamorro, María Morales, Javi Coll and Milo Taboada star alongside Carmen Machi, Inma Cuesta, Eduard Fernández, Emma Suárez and Álvaro Cervantes.

Germany: Eva Meckbach, Sylvester Groth, Florence Kasumba, Christian Kuchenbuch and Jonathan Berlin star alongside Peter Kurth, Christian Berkel, Deniz Arora and Nina Hoss.

There's a co-ordinated campaign by a fundamentalist Christian group to get Good Omens cancelled. They're really desperate to get it removed from Netflix altogether.

Yes, Netflix. Ha ha.

• Haha 6

Only one more episode of Season 5 Luther to go.

Not really sure if I like how busy this season is.  I think I would've liked either the George Cornelius plot or the LED Serial Killer plot to have been more prominent.  

Both plots mashed together just makes everything feel uneven.  Luther's not really solving crimes anymore like he did in previous seasons.   He's just running from action point to action point.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AxB said:

There's a co-ordinated campaign by a fundamentalist Christian group to get Good Omens cancelled. They're really desperate to get it removed from Netflix altogether.

There was also a petition sent to TBS / TNT to have Miracle Workers cancelled.  Apparently people were quite pissed off with Steve Buscemi portraying God as a somewhat addled all powerful being who just did things just to do them.

God apparently wants to open a restaurant in Heaven and the best way for him to pull in immortal customers is to blow up the earth and everyone with it.

32 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

And Harry Potter is trying to convince him otherwise 

And Dopinder from Deadpool 1 and 2.

Apparently the petitioners also weren't fond of an angel being portrayed by an Indian-American.  I guess they assume he's a practicing Hindu.  I don't know him like that to know whether or not that's true and I don't want to make dumb assumptions based on his ethnicity.

Edited by J.T.

Man, Big Little Lies is really fucking terrible and I can't look away. Each week I wonder if it can possibly get worse and each week they show me that yes, oh yes, it can get worse. True Detective Season 2 was really terrible too, but that wasn't watchable like this is. I think what is most fascinating is that this cast of hugely talented and outspoken women looked at all of these scripts that make women look like complete idiots and caricatures and thought, "heck yeah, bring on season 2!"

I mean, in the first 5 minutes while Ed and Madeline are sitting in a therapy session where Madeline has cheated on Ed by having sex with another man, committed emotional infidelity, and betrayed absolutely every shred of trust Ed has ever had, the writers thought it would be a sweet idea to have the therapist, also a woman, turn to Ed and say, "Let's talk about your betrayal." Ed, I'm assuming represents us as the audience because he sat there dumbstruck and basically responded with, "uh, what? My betrayal? I've been 100% loyal and have supported my crazy, lunatic wife in a myriad of ways. I'm constantly empathetic to her and don't look to solve her problems. She's the one who destroyed our marriage..." It's one of those moments where I was like, fuck this show.

On 6/22/2019 at 2:30 AM, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Alert for me as well. Love Angel. More consistent than Buffy. Second best TV finale this century, behind only The Shield.

I really enjoyed the show at the time, though I didn't like seasons 1 and 5 as much.  Thought season one was kinda clunky  and, allegedly, the network asked producers to make the show less serialized in season five in an attempt to draw in viewers.  Didn't work.

don't remember the last few eps well enough to comment on how good the finale was.  I kinda want to go back and watch a couple seasons (2-4), but I'm afraid it wouldn't hold up well.  Buffy has aged badly, imo.

Hard to believe David Boreanaz had starred in a show every year for 20+ years (he went from Buffy to Angel to Bones to Seal Team without much of a break.

Edited by Doc Townsend