DVDVR Message Board

2019 Q2 TV DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

1 minute ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I was fine up until a couple of the facts at the end. That one dude working in a nuclear plant after he served his sentence and the official death count both made me want to punch something.

I actually started sweating while Legasov was detailing how the explosion happened and seeing the explosion. Some of you might know this whenever things in the world get heated or when Fukushima melted down, but I've been afraid of anything nuclear since I was a kid. I wound up being exposed to knowledge about that stuff at way too young of an age. Anyway, so yeah, I was particularly frightened before just wanting to cry for everyone involved.

And then anger was added to that mix at the very, very end. I can't fucking believe they let him resume working at a nuclear power plant. I can't think of his name, but I know exactly who you're talking about. And Dyatlov living until 1995 while thousands died before him is one of those cruel joke type things. I don't wish pain or death or anyone, but I almost wish that him living that long just meant he suffered ever longer. Man, that guy was just the biggest prick. 

I've watched so many Chernobyl documentaries and have read a couple books about it and I was still surprised to learn some stuff from the last few minutes of the series. I was mainly surprised about the people still alive today. I think one of the people still alive today was one of the three men who emptied the bubbler tanks. That was shocking.

I else got teary eyed learning that the wife who lost her husband and baby was able to have a son and they're both alive today.

The death bridge stuff wasn't surprising because I knew about that already, but it's still a gut punch to see it again.

One thing they didn't go into was the amount of Strontium-90 that wound up being dispersed and the effect of seeing it (some people thought it was magic or something supernatural, like ghosts, because it appeared as these bright ball like flashes of light). They did do well with showing off the Cherenkov radiation and the haunting blue glow from it.

In a sentence I should have suspected

Soleil Moon Frye will be reprising her Punky Brewster role in an upcoming sequel series from Universal Content Productions, TVLine has confirmed.

The new season of Black Mirror is out. Miley Cyrus covering Nine Inch Nails is my favorite thing to happen in any of these episodes.

San Junipero still sucks, three years later. Just thought I'd throw that in there.

44 minutes ago, J.H. said:

The Wife and I power watched Abby's and are really bummed it got canned as we liked the characters and thought it had legs. NBC thought otherwise!

James

Same here, my wife and I really liked it and are sad to see it get the ax.

Hulu has all of Hill Street Blues and I forgot how really good it is. So many great characters that get fleshed out in those first 13 episodes (that's right, it was a mid-season show at debut) and you can already see prototypes for later Bochco characters (and not just the Buntz/Sipowicz connection).  Howard Hunter might be the the most serious comic character in a cop show as he is so right wing Ihe thinks Reagan is soft on crime with "candy ass foreign policy". I also like how offended he gets when people call him out on being racist. Also, Bruce Weitz is a fuckin GOD~!

James

• Like 2

Finished Good Omens last night, and I loved it. The non-book parts were pretty seamless with the rest. I only wish Christopher Lee was still alive to voice death, because anyone else is a poor substitute. . . .

19 hours ago, J.T. said:

@odessasteps l know you probably have all of the episodes on DVD or something, but there's a marathon of The Prisoner on Comet today starting at 10 AM EDT.

I caught a few episodes despite owning the series on DVD.

The show still stands up for me.

It's tough to watch it compressed, though.

Amazon must have the remastered prints the Blu-Ray was made from because they look great.

On 6/7/2019 at 7:23 PM, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

How is there only one more episode left of Billions? The next season better have my Becky Lynch cameo!

bill11-phone.gif?w=637&zoom=2 

Aw shit. Really? Feels like there's too much ground to cover for the finale, but I haven't finished watching last week's episode and I need to watch last night's episode.

BTW, can we talk about Big Little Lies? Watching the first episode last night made it feel like it confirmed many of my fears. I fucking hate Meryl Streep's character. I hate how Celeste can't tell her to fuck off and mind her own business. I hate that Celeste doesn't outright tell her that Perry beat the shit out of her on the regular when he wasn't verbally or mentally abusing her. Meryl Streep's character is such a cartoon version of a character for this show, which is saying a lot. I hate the contrived explanation the 5 gave the police. Again, Perry was going to kill Celeste and maybe someone else too. Bonnie saved Celeste and the others. Just look at Celeste's face for fuck's sake! She looked about as bad as Donald Cerrone did after his fight on Saturday.

Contrived. That's the perfect word for all of this. Everything is really contrived and it's annoying. Adam Scott and the dude who plays Nathan are the best parts of this show now. If it was just about Adam Scott slowly realizing he's living in a really fucked up place and it's him trying to get out of this Truman Show hellscape.

EDIT: Also, the new showrunner is leaning HEAVILY into Perry's kids turning into monsters just like their dad. That's just a little too on the nose.

Edited by Craig H

I feel like all you needed to know about how little they have for this season is that the episode was under 40 minutes with about half of it being slow motion artsy spots and HBO didn't even bother doing a post-show.  Just 20 minutes of ads for better shows.  The whole "he fell" explanation is so amazingly stupid and all these women are awful for still covering for Perry being a monster because .... why exactly? 

Insinuating that women are afraid that one of them would go to jail for involuntary manslaughter while it's painfully obvious that is was self defense is pretty insulting and such an obvious shoehorned plot to scrape a 2nd season out of all this.  Meryl Streep channeling Tilda Swinton from Snowpiercer for that voice sure is something. 

Edited by CSC
  • Like 1

Its tricky finding something to watch while taking care of Princess Sandra that is appropriate and damn if The Mary Tyler Moore Show isn't the finest comedy I've ever watched. Knee-deep in Season 2 and every episode is a winner

James

• Like 1

17 hours ago, CSC said:

I feel like all you needed to know about how little they have for this season is that the episode was under 40 minutes with about half of it being slow motion artsy spots and HBO didn't even bother doing a post-show.  Just 20 minutes of ads for better shows.  The whole "he fell" explanation is so amazingly stupid and all these women are awful for still covering for Perry being a monster because .... why exactly? 

Insinuating that women are afraid that one of them would go to jail for involuntary manslaughter while it's painfully obvious that is was self defense is pretty insulting and such an obvious shoehorned plot to scrape a 2nd season out of all this.  Meryl Streep channeling Tilda Swinton from Snowpiercer for that voice sure is something. 

YEEEESSSSSSSSS. Thank you. I couldn't quite put my finger on what was really annoying me, but yeah, lying and saying Perry fell not only covers up that he was an abusive monster (again, LOOK AT CELESTE'S FACE), but it also makes all of these supposedly strong women look incredibly dumb. It really is very insulting. I mean, you have FIVE witnesses to what happened. Not one person would go to jail over this. What, Bonnie being charged with involuntary manslaughter would really put that much of a hit in a business she owns?! It's not like she's out trying to get hired anywhere else. Shit, she stepped away from her job for an entire summer to go to Tahoe.

And in that summer, a whole 3 months, you're telling me that Madeline became a great realtor? Oooook.

Now I'm remember even more dumb shit. Jane rejecting Celeste's checks because it's "rape money." The very, very clear direction that Perry's mom is why he turned out to be a monster. 

This might be the biggest drop off in quality since True Detective season 2.

58 minutes ago, Craig H said:

YEEEESSSSSSSSS. Thank you. I couldn't quite put my finger on what was really annoying me, but yeah, lying and saying Perry fell not only covers up that he was an abusive monster (again, LOOK AT CELESTE'S FACE), but it also makes all of these supposedly strong women look incredibly dumb. It really is very insulting. I mean, you have FIVE witnesses to what happened. Not one person would go to jail over this. What, Bonnie being charged with involuntary manslaughter would really put that much of a hit in a business she owns?! It's not like she's out trying to get hired anywhere else. Shit, she stepped away from her job for an entire summer to go to Tahoe.

Being a former investigator for a legal firm, I am reminded of the old saying that one corroborating witness is a slam dunk case while three or more is a cover-up.

I find your naïve belief in the criminal justice system to get it right the first time remarkably refreshing.

When someone winds up dead, then someone else usually ends up going to jail for manslaughter at the very least unless there is some form of Stand Your Ground law that helps mitigate the circumstances.

Edited by J.T.

It’s not even having to be totally honest but that there’s such an easier, better lie than just he tripped and fell. Maybe leave out that Bonnie got a 20 yard running start but no one is going to argue with 5 totally beat up women that they feared for their lives and Bonnie pushed him during the struggle.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CSC said:

It’s not even having to be totally honest but that there’s such an easier, better lie than just he tripped and fell. Maybe leave out that Bonnie got a 20 yard running start but no one is going to argue with 5 totally beat up women that they feared for their lives and Bonnie pushed him during the struggle.

I don't follow the show so were they all abused by the same man or did they all get their asses beat during the scuffle?

I realize that in real life, victims of domestic abuse rarely report out of fear of reprisal but for an idealistic and stupid television show, I would expect the television police to ask the abused if she ever reported her abuse to the proper authorities.

Edited by J.T.

4 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I don't follow the show so were they all abused by the same man or did they all get their asses beat during the scuffle?

One married to and constantly abused.  One other violently raped years ago and it’s revealed during the scuffle that he was that man as well.  The others a group of Mom frenemies basically.

Edited by CSC

11 minutes ago, CSC said:

One married to and constantly abused.  One other violently raped years ago and it’s revealed during the scuffle that he was that man as well.  The others a group of Mom frenemies basically.

So you have two women in this group that were attacked / abused by the same man and he ends up dead by being pushed? 

That's both tragic and suspicious.   Two of those women have motive for wanting him dead so I can understand them trying to keep the real circumstances of his death on the hush since there is probably no record of the domestic abuse or the sexual assault.

In real life, the cops should be able to tell whether his death was accidental or not.  It always make me laugh when I see how advanced or archaic that medical forensic science is in relation to the plot of the show.

If the plot calls for the victim getting away with the crime, forensic science is borderline neo-lithic while if it is required to track down criminals, then it is almost magical like it is in a show like CSI, Bones, or Criminal Minds.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

On 6/9/2019 at 2:28 PM, driver said:

Caught Ma this morning. Octavia Spencer really makes that movie.

I am kinda excited that driver posted this in two incorrect threads

• Like 1
  • Haha 1