DVDVR Message Board

2019 Q2 TV DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

20 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I am still catching up on trailers for new Fall shows. And this ties in with the cop discussion. Can't imagine why FOX picked this up.

Deputy

I will watch this even though it looks cheesy as hell. Like a gritty suburban Longmire

• Like 1

I tend not to watch TV shows but I did last Sunday because the TV version of What We Do In The Shadows started on BBC2. I thought it was really good considering it had to follow the film of the same name. Hope it carries that form on. If you haven't seen the film, change it.

• Like 2

So having an 11 month old has led to me re-watching all of Fraggle Rock and holy crap this show really is timeless. Outside of a few bluescreen effects you can barely tell that it started in 82/83. As much as I love The Muppet Show and all 3 Muppet movies, Fraggle Rock and The Dark Crystal just might be Jim Henson's masterpieces!

I mean  the world building alone is staggering. Fraggle Rock being a nexus between dimensions and they actually expand upon that in the last 2 seasons. The really amazing thing is, there are very few "evil" characters in the show. McMooch might be the only really malicious creature  but the Gorgs aren't malicious, just ignorant to the worlds around them, and the true nature of the fraggles themselves.

Oh and the music, so many fun songs and some really beautiful ballads. I pretty much love every song they give to Red.

Possibly the best show HBO ever put money into.

James

Edited by J.H.
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, odessasteps said:

For those that missed it, Marla Gibbs showed up on the live episode of the Jeffersons. 

And the Hulu version bleeped the fuck out of it. Which completely flies in the face of the project. 

Also, I really liked the All In The Family except for one thing. Woody Harrelson sucked. Marisa Tomei was outstanding doing Edith but holy shit, Woody was awful. Apparently the only accent he can't do is Queens.

10 hours ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

And the Hulu version bleeped the fuck out of it. Which completely flies in the face of the project. 

Also, I really liked the All In The Family except for one thing. Woody Harrelson sucked. Marisa Tomei was outstanding doing Edith but holy shit, Woody was awful. Apparently the only accent he can't do is Queens.

They bleeped it on the live version too. I didn't like the All in the Family segment, they would have been better off doing a more Edith heavy episode since Tomei nailed the character. I loved The Jeffersons segment and totally marked out when Marla Gibbs showed up.

If they do this again I hope they stay with Norman Lear shows and do Maude and Good Times, there's a Maude episode that could easily bring in an A-list actress if ABC has the guts to air it and the JJ "VD" episode of Good Times has the right mix humor and message to work in this format.

If they did Good Times I think everyone would expect them to do "that episode" since it is pretty much the show's defining moment (though I can see whyt they wouldn't because no one could replace Essther Rolle for that moment). I'm all for Maude and maybe an episode of What's Happening? or Sandford & Son

James

On 5/23/2019 at 12:48 AM, The Natural said:

I tend not to watch TV shows but I did last Sunday because the TV version of What We Do In The Shadows started on BBC2. I thought it was really good considering it had to follow the film of the same name. Hope it carries that form on. If you haven't seen the film, change it.

It just gets better as it goes. After seeing the last two episodes I want to go back and rewatch the movie again, and might just flat out buy it to do so.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

It just gets better as it goes. After seeing the last two episodes I want to go back and rewatch the movie again, and might just flat out buy it to do so.

After the first two episodes, I've watched this again:

I also need to rewatch the movie. The movie premiered on BBC2 same day as I watched Thor: Ragnarok (2017) at the cinema.

Edited by The Natural

On 5/16/2019 at 8:28 PM, J.H. said:

Well the talk of the new NYPDD Blue led to me binging the first few seasons and holy fuck, is there a more tortured TV cop than Andy Sipowicz?

James

Tim Bayless.

5 minutes ago, Ace said:

Tim Bayless.

I don't know. He went through a lot but if you just straight listed the number of diseases each was diagnosed with, the number of addictions each had, the number of partners killed, and the number of family members dying, dead, or kidnapped, and the number of times shot or otherwise hooked up to tubes, I think the Sipowicz list would obliterate anyone else's

• Like 1

The Sipowicz List

1. Gets his case against Alphonse Giardella thrown out because of a questionable car search
2. At the recommendation of Lt. Fancy, his partner of close to a decade tells Andy they shouldn't work together anymore
3. In a drunken rage gets betrayed by his regular prostitute to Giardella, who proceeds to shoot him multiple times
4. Recovers, determines to quit drinking cold turkey. Compensates by smoking more
5. Enters AA, sees the speaker is a skel he busted a few times who is in both AA and NA. Quits AA
6. Rejoins AA, gets a hard ass for a sponsor (Peter Boyle), who pretty much tells Andy no to hooking up with Sylvia Costas let alone moving in with her
7.. Tries to help his AA sponsor who is getting beat up by his paranoid schizophreinic son. Gets him away from said son only ...
8. Has his sponsor get murdered by sponsor's son in paranoid rage
9. Contentious relationship with his son from first marriage, who gets engaged to a car saleswoman who is cheating him

This is just in season 1. Add to all this dealing with all the bulllshit John Kelly going through with the Martino/Licalsi situation. He hasn't even fallen off the wagon the first time yet!

James

2 hours ago, J.H. said:

The Sipowicz List

1. Gets his case against Alphonse Giardella thrown out because of a questionable car search
2. At the recommendation of Lt. Fancy, his partner of close to a decade tells Andy they shouldn't work together anymore
3. In a drunken rage gets betrayed by his regular prostitute to Giardella, who proceeds to shoot him multiple times
4. Recovers, determines to quit drinking cold turkey. Compensates by smoking more
5. Enters AA, sees the speaker is a skel he busted a few times who is in both AA and NA. Quits AA
6. Rejoins AA, gets a hard ass for a sponsor (Peter Boyle), who pretty much tells Andy no to hooking up with Sylvia Costas let alone moving in with her
7.. Tries to help his AA sponsor who is getting beat up by his paranoid schizophreinic son. Gets him away from said son only ...
8. Has his sponsor get murdered by sponsor's son in paranoid rage
9. Contentious relationship with his son from first marriage, who gets engaged to a car saleswoman who is cheating him

This is just in season 1. Add to all this dealing with all the bulllshit John Kelly going through with the Martino/Licalsi situation. He hasn't even fallen off the wagon the first time yet!

James

giphy.gif

Found What We Do In The Shadows on Prime yesterday and watched it again. Despite Prime having a brainfart and cutting off the audio on me 15 minutes before the end, I loved it. A bit darker than the series, but the series is funnier. I think it not being an exclusive boys' club helps in that respect. But yeah, regarding Natural's reservations, both film and series are shockingly close to each other -- they didn't miss a beat. 

• Like 1

Anyone else watch the season finale of Killing Eve? Because 

Spoiler

I think Eve has to be the dumbest character on television. First not going back with Carolyn. Then spurning Villenelle and turning her back on a sociopathic serial killer, when the only reason she hadn't killed her dumb ass before was that she loved her. Frankly I hope Eve's dead(probably not), but Jodie Comer is the show anyway, and they could fit someone else into Eve's slot).

Has anyone been watching Chernobyl? The amount of yes men and sycophants in the first two episodes was beyond infuriating! How much quicker do you think that type of incident would've been deal with if it happened anywhere other than USSR?