DVDVR Message Board

2019 Q2 TV DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

Pretty sure Barney Fife was the most haunted, tortured character out there. Just picture Constable Bob with a meth addiction and repressed memories of a horrific childhood. There was a reason he carried only one bullet, and it wasn't because he was incompetent with his weapon, it's because he was always on the verge of eating his service revolver muzzle first.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Craig H said:

His Dark Materials looks awesome. It looks way more SciFi than I remember and I hope it winds up being better than the third book.

It looks much more faithful to the books than that Golden Compass dreck I am loathe to mention.

• Like 1

On 5/17/2019 at 9:33 PM, Craig H said:

Is Marlo really "tortured?" Dude seemed to revel in being an evil piece of shit, had no qualms about it, looked to go legit, and found that wasn't the life for him. That's not exactly tortured. He's just a bad dude.

The question was "biggest monster on TV" though. 

3 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

The question was "biggest monster on TV" though. 

Thought it was about most tortured cop.

On 5/16/2019 at 11:28 PM, J.H. said:

Well the talk of the new NYPDD Blue led to me binging the first few seasons and holy fuck, is there a more tortured TV cop than Andy Sipowicz?

James

On 5/17/2019 at 6:57 PM, Curt McGirt said:

I'll do my duty and throw Jimmy McNulty out there.

Thinking about it, Lester Freamon might be more tortured that McNulty. He spent years of his career basically sat in a cupboard and ordered not to work - to the point that when the Major Crimes Unit first started, he was so cynical and apathetic that he spent weeks not getting involved with the case at all, just sitting at his desk making Dollhouse furniture. And when he eventually gets back in the game, he only has the MCU for a couple of years before he gets fired from the police entirely.

I am still catching up on trailers for new Fall shows. And this ties in with the cop discussion. Can't imagine why FOX picked this up.

Deputy

12 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Broke

So So much wrong with this - mainly starting with Pauley Perrette not being on NCIS

At least she is fighting against typecasting by wearing that horrible G&R t-shirt.

Edited by J.T.

The Unicorn

Walton Goggins alert

Also I have never related more to a phrase than "That's all I do to my kids - drive them places and lie"

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

The Unicorn

Walton Goggins alert

Also I have never related more to a phrase than "That's all I do to my kids - drive them places and lie"

Me too.

I am a divorcee and not a widower, but I can totally relate to Walter's character's awkwardness and fears about returning to single life.

I await the inevitable episode where he starts dating a hot soccer mom who also has kids.  It should be hilarious.

Been there, done that.  Hasn't ended yet since I am now ten years into my current relationship.

We've thought about getting married but her ex-husband's retirement check really comes in handy right now.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

The Unicorn

Walton Goggins alert

There's so much weird going on with this...There's a weird Ballers reunion type vibe going on with actors from that show working on this one, there's Goggins playing a really good guy, Goggins playing a family man, the material doesn't look completely terrible, and it's on network TV.

I also can't tell if Goggins got hair plugs or is on some kind of hair regrowth drug or what.

In any event, dude is always working. He has this, that Invincible TV series, Righteous Gemstones, Deep State, and whatever movies he's doing.

11 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I also can't tell if Goggins got hair plugs or is on some kind of hair regrowth drug or what.

Yes, his forehead is bordering on eighthead / Grey Alien / The Leader status.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I am still catching up on trailers for new Fall shows. And this ties in with the cop discussion. Can't imagine why FOX picked this up.

Deputy

Someone heard about Dorff in True Detective and decided he's a hard ass cop type for at least the next five years.

I'm just kidding. That'll be canned before the first batch of episodes have all aired.

I'm getting "video unavailable" on The Unicorn. Probably for the best.

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Broke

So So much wrong with this - mainly starting with Pauley Perrette not being on NCIS

1, it's REALLY weird not seeing Perrette not wearing Goth stuff.

2. Did Jamie Camil just go straight from the Jane the Virgin set to this one right after it wrapped, without even really changing characters?

My wife has been watching CSI (neither one of us watched it though I was ob-sessed with CSI Miami for awhile just for the audacious insanity of every aspect of it).  For awhile I was not that impressed...just a competent procedural with fantasy elements and a very "scare old people" view of the world (Hello, CBS!).

But they just hit the episode where a member of a sequestered jury is murdered by someone else on the jury and I think I'm now on board. I'm not a person who likes human beings very much and I tend to have a very pessimistic view of humanity...and they basically used this as an excuse to create a jury where every single person was a different brand of spiteful, lazy, gluttonnish, insane asshole. It's like a trading card deck of every variety of scum on earth.

I am genuinely loving listening to this over her shoulder while pretending not to be into it. I think this is one slight difference between the worlds of the two main CSIs. On CSI MIAMI the world is strictly divided into pure assholes and pure perfect hero/victims. On Regular CSI the pure perfect hero victims are very rare and pretty much every human outside of the CSI squad is a scumbag and/or maniac. Realizing this, and pretending how much fun it would be in a writer's room to just write scumbag after scumbag week after week is giving me a renewed interest in this show.

Update: Their kind of blowing this by even having a B story. It's really boring. They should have dumped that convention when they have a concept so delicious as asshole murder jury.

Edited by piranesi
  • Haha 1