DVDVR Message Board

2019 Q2 TV DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

The Snowpiercer TV show has been moved from TNT to TBS and has already been renewed for a second season (It will not premiere until Spring of 2020)

EDIT - This was slightly mentioned in the AEW thread but basically they are doing away with TBS is for comedy, TNT is for drama that is currently going on an Snowpiercer is the first in TBS adding more drama type shows

19 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I am always fast forwarding through the commercials when we are catching up on The Voice so I knew they existed

Fuck, but I hate it when my boo calls me on the phone when she wants me to see something on The Voice.  It always manages to happen just as I get a Ruthless medal in the Crucible.

YOU'RE NOT REALLY WATCHING, ARE YOU~?? YOU'RE PLAYING THAT STUPID GAME~!!

Fucking hell.

19 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Just like that show all about the lady who sold out the US to save her daughter

Ah, The Enemy Within.

It was a good premise, but that show is hot garbage.  Jennifer Carpenter playing the part of the best batshit insane mom ever is the spit and duct tape that keeps that train wreck together.

I caught a couple of episodes and then quit out on it.  I'm done.

30 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

The Snowpiercer TV show has been moved from TNT to TBS and has already been renewed for a second season (It will not premiere until Spring of 2020).

Television has gotten so analytics driven that they are renewing shows that haven't even premiered yet?

Fuck.

But wait.  Daveed Diggs, Shaun Toub,, and Stephen Ogg are in the cast?  I'M ALL IN~!

Edited by J.T.

The Voice got really good this year when they seemingly realized that all the blind auditions/battle rounds were the best part of the show, added the cross battles and are only doing 4 weeks of the traditional music show elimination model

Also Kim Cherry.

Edited by CSC

On 5/15/2019 at 2:52 PM, J.H. said:

Most of th main West Wing cast are doing quite well right now. Schiff isd on The Good Doctor, Janney on Mom, Rob Lowe on that medical show I can never remember the name of, Sheen on Grace & Frankie. Heck Whitford had a recurring role on Brooklyn 99 until this came along. I think the only one not in anything right now is Dule Hill and he is probably making royalties off of West Wing and Psych

James

While not a main cast member, Elisabeth Moss is doing pretty good as well.

And I should not have checked her Wikipedia page, I did not realize, that she is a Scientologist.

On 5/15/2019 at 8:52 AM, J.H. said:

Most of th main West Wing cast are doing quite well right now. Schiff isd on The Good Doctor, Janney on Mom, Rob Lowe on that medical show I can never remember the name of, Sheen on Grace & Frankie. Heck Whitford had a recurring role on Brooklyn 99 until this came along. I think the only one not in anything right now is Dule Hill and he is probably making royalties off of West Wing and Psych

James

Since Psych ended, Dule Hill has done some guest shots, had a recurring role on Ballers, had a starring role on Doubt (legal drama which lasted one season on CBS) and joined the cast of Suits for the post-Mike seasons.

"That "medical show I can never remember the name of" was Code Black.  CBS canceled it a year ago.

I dunno.. I mean shane is a piece of shit as a human being so he kinda deserves what he gets. Luther has elements of Andy in him but Andy in those first few episodes of NYPD Blue nearly dies in episode one, spends the entire first season struggling with sobriety (falling of the wagon early on, then dealing with his sponsor getting murdered), has to deal with his partner/best friend having to quit the force due to IAD investigation, has a brief moment of happiness getting married to Sylvia (what ever happened to Sharon Lawrence after she left Blue the second time?) and then seeing his 2nd son botrn only to have that blown apart when his first son get killed breaking up a robbvery. Then Sylvia gets gunned down... shit ?I'm getting depressed just typing this

James

The answer is Shane Vendrell. It doesn't matter if he was a dick to others or racist or whatever, dude had demons that built up and up and up throughout the series to finally do what he did in the series finale.

The other thing you have to remember is the flashback episode to when the Strike Team first meets each other. Shane wasn't always like this. Vic molded and shaped Shane and Shane ultimately collapsed under all of that shaping. He wouldn't have done any of the despicable things he did if not for Vic. He would have just been another racist and dickhead cop.

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I'll do my duty and throw Jimmy McNulty out there.

Eh, Jimmy wasn't that tortured. He was a drunk at times and other times not. He did want to do the right thing though, and didn't want to juke stats to make it look like the police were doing more than they actually were.

It's not like he murdered a partner and later killed his girlfriend, her kids, and himself.

10 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Shane blew up a friend with a grenade and that might not crack the top five worse thing he's done. And he was so guilty over it that he rushed blind into a hostage situation and didn't care if he lived or died.

He really is the clear answer. 

Jesus. When you put it like that, he may not be the most tortured cop ever, he might just be the biggest monster ever on tv. Only box he never checked was being a rapist and even, who knows.

BTW, re-watched the series finale of Veep in a better mindset where I wasn't exhausted and half-asleep.

Fucking amazing. Selina was at her absolute worst, just a total monster, but she did deliver a really warm moment with Ben. It had maybe the funniest exchange ever between Furlong and Will, and just some of the funniest jokes ever. I think I wound up re-watching every episode because I would watch it by myself, paying half-attention, and then watch it again with my wife and catch everything. On re-watch, everything was really great. Only episode I didn't like was Oslo, the second to last episode.

I'm going to miss this series.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Jesus. When you put it like that, he may not be the most tortured cop ever, he might just be the biggest monster ever on tv. 

I don't know about that. Surely we can all think of some warlords, people who have oppressed masses and destabilized regions, or people whose machinations have caused much worse harm than tiny, weak Shane Vendrell could ever hope to inflict. 

Shane's garbage who made one bad choice after another and drew a lot of people into his bullshit, some complicit and some not. But he couldn't tie Tywin Lannister's boots. 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy

But that id thing about Shane, he was beyond redemption. You knew what he was and knew he really wasn't going to change.

I can sympathize with Andy Sipowicz because he is tortured in his journey to redemption. He isa flawed but ultimately good man who struggles with the person he was at episode one and he smacked in the face with so much tragedy in those first 6 seasons of Blue. It felt liek after that the writers were like "we seriously cannot torture this poor guy anymore. Let's just focus on him doing the job"

James

3 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I'll do my duty in this one too and throw Marlo Stanfield into the mix ( and be shot down again)

On a micro level, Marlo is about as evil as one person can be.  He pretty much terrorized an entire city through brutal, uncompromising violence.  

Is Marlo really "tortured?" Dude seemed to revel in being an evil piece of shit, had no qualms about it, looked to go legit, and found that wasn't the life for him. That's not exactly tortured. He's just a bad dude.