DVDVR Message Board

2019 Q2 TV DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

1 hour ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Coming out on the last day of eligibility for the 2019 Primetime Emmys. That's clever cause it's going to be nominated for a shitload of the Miniseries/TV Film awards if not win most of them.

On 4/23/2019 at 11:21 PM, Craig H said:

If none of you are watching Barry, then WTF are you even doing?

I'm waiting to binge watch the whole season. But if it's as good as last year, I can't wait.

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

I'm waiting to binge watch the whole season. But if it's as good as last year, I can't wait.

Dude. It might already be better. I can't believe how funny and dramatic it is.

Bill Hader was always my favorite SNL cast member in decades and I always thought he could have a great post-SNL career, but I never saw him having this in him. He's acting his ass off in every episode and he has a hand in the creative process too.

Same for Alec Berg. I love Silicon Valley, but I would never think the guy responsible for SV would wind up making something as good as this.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Craig H said:

Dude. It might already be better. I can't believe how funny and dramatic it is.

Bill Hader was always my favorite SNL cast member in decades and I always thought he could have a great post-SNL career, but I never saw him having this in him. He's acting his ass off in every episode and he has a hand in the creative process too.

Same for Alec Berg. I love Silicon Valley, but I would never think the guy responsible for SV would wind up making something as good as this.

100% agreed. I loved the absolute shit out of last season but this one could most definitely be better if it keeps going the way it's going. Bill Hader is knocking it out of the fucking park and Hank (aka THE KING OF SUCK BALLS MOUNTAIN) continues to be one of the funniest characters on TV. I laughed for about 14 hours straight at the '50/50' rooftop scene from the last episode ('what do you want me to do, go to John Wick assassin hotel with help wanted sign?'). Between it, Killing Eve, Veep and Game of Thrones, weekend TV is the dog's proverbials right now.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fuzzy Dunlop said:

100% agreed. I loved the absolute shit out of last season but this one could most definitely be better if it keeps going the way it's going. Bill Hader is knocking it out of the fucking park and Hank (aka THE KING OF SUCK BALLS MOUNTAIN) continues to be one of the funniest characters on TV. I laughed for about 14 hours straight at the '50/50' rooftop scene from the last episode ('what do you want me to do, go to John Wick assassin hotel with help wanted sign?'). Between it, Killing Eve, Veep and Game of Thrones, weekend TV is the dog's proverbials right now.

Here's how good the writing is. As goofy as Hank is, he had a really scary moment at the end if either episode 1 or 2. Like the writing and that guy both flipped a switch and completely turned. It was the first time I took him seriously.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Craig H said:

Fuck that. This shit with Netflix is getting really annoying. 

Last season of Santa Clarita Diet was good too and ended on an interesting cliff hanger.

Not that this will calm your rage but the reports are that (similar to a lot of the other shows Netflix recently cancelled) it became too expensive to produce

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Not that this will calm your rage but the reports are that (similar to a lot of the other shows Netflix recently cancelled) it became too expensive to produce

Eh, I already moved on. I do wish that maybe Netflix would give some of these productions a heads up that they might be on the chopping block because they're too expensive. It would at least let these shows wrap up, but maybe leave open the possibility for another season.

Then again, maybe whoever is running these shows doesn't even care about creating an ending.

What's wrong with you all? Why is no one talking about the greatness that is the final season of Veep? I recently saw an interview with Gary Cole and he meant that they went so far that no joke is off-limits, and how right he was. This season has jokes (or rather plotlines) about abortion and incest. Just as a teaser a couple of jokes from the latest episode:

Spoiler

Selina: "What's our play moving forward here?"

Kent: "The Joseph Goebbels playbook. Accuse the other side of that which you are guilty."

Selina: "Steal from the best."

Amy: "Your particular brand of crazy is polling very high here in Florida, especially with melanoma-loving swamp fuckers, storm-ravaged climate deniers, and deadbeat dads... and deadbeat moms."

Jonah: "Those are my peeps."

Keith: "The Houston Chronicle is reporting that Kemi voters have somehow got the idea that if they vote in the primaries, they're gonna get an IRS audit."

Selina: "Keith, I don't want to know how you did that."

Keith: "Well, Facebook'll walk you through it step by step.".

• Like 1

Veep has been good, but it's just been overshadowed by GoT and Barry for me. That and I don't like how they're basically just ripping off 2016 for us. There was a time when Veep's writing was so sharp and good where it was about shit we the people wouldn't see and hadn't seen. And then actors on the show or others with the show would be approached by politicians and aides who would be like, "how did you know this happened?!" because shit on the show was basically reflecting real life, but it was stuff that wasn't public. The writers were just that good at coming up with fucked up stuff that would happen in Washington without knowing it was actually happening.

For this season, it feels more reactionary. It's still good and last night's episode was probably the funniest of the season.