DVDVR Message Board

2019 Q2 TV DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

2 hours ago, supremebve said:

Except they aren't rich as fuck, they are merely rich.  If they were rich as fuck, they could have done this the legal way and had a library or dorm built.  They were just rich enough to pay half a million out of pocket to get their kid in school, but to spend the type of money it would take to get a building with your name on it...that takes wealth. 

My Dad, who went school at USC, made a joke in the same vein when I talked to him about this of why didn't they just donate money for a new library or gym like normal rich people do then they're trying to get their kids into the school. 

10 hours ago, supremebve said:

Except they aren't rich as fuck, they are merely rich.  If they were rich as fuck, they could have done this the legal way and had a library or dorm built.  They were just rich enough to pay half a million out of pocket to get their kid in school, but to spend the type of money it would take to get a building with your name on it...that takes wealth.  They're estimated at around $88 million, a new library probably costs over $10,000,000 just to build.  Then they'd have to buy the books, computers, and everything else...they don't have that kind of money to spend.  For instance, remember when Dr. Dre posted that pic of his daughter saying he didn't do anything illegal to get her into UCLA.  What he did was 100% legal, but he and Jimmy Iovine gave UCLA $70 million.  Being rich as fuck is extremely relative, but if you have less than $100 million, you are just rich.  I heard that the average millionaire doesn't see themselves as wealthy, and while that is absurd based on the fact that anyone who makes about $450,000 is more wealthy than 99% of the population, they aren't wrong.  If you have a million in the bank, you are doing great, but that isn't the kind of money that gets your dumb ass, good for nothing kids into school.  You'd have to not only have tens of millions of dollars to do that, but you'd need tens of millions of dollars IN CASH to spend which is a whole different level of rich.  

Jeff Bezos can give his wife 5 billion dollars in a divorce settlement and still be on his way to being a trillionaire.

As an aside, it's hilarious when these "entrepreneurs" and IG public figures repost the picture of Bezos sitting in that shitty office from the early days of Amazon as an inspirational way to say never give up. These people clearly don't understand in vivo wealth transfers. He got 250k from his parents. I guarantee you that Dr. Dre as an African-American in the World Class Wreckin' Cru days wasn't going to get a quarter million from his mom to start a record label. Also, how much of that 70 million was Iovine's money and how much of that was Dre's?

16 hours ago, Craig H said:

Oh my fucking goodness. To go along with the massive YTTV increase, Netflix is increasing their price yet again. I swear this is the 2nd or 3rd time they've increased their rates in the last year or two.

Man, a good way for Disney+ to eat everyone's lunch would be to launch at a $5 to $8 price point.

Guess what? $6.99 at launch, and there will be a Hulu/Disney+ bundle (at a different price point, though).

Edited by Casey
  • Like 1

My Netflix plan for a while has been to cash in the free month offer i constantly receive, watch a few months worth of content and cancel before the month is up. Then repeat a year or so later. 

Paying for Amazon Prime (since it’s combined with the free shipping I get) and YouTube premium and NBC Sports Gold and now MLB AT Bat and the Criterion Channel is prob more than enough content for me. 

According to estimates, Dre is a little shy of being a billionaire, fwiw. Somewhere between 750-800 million. That Beats by Dre sale to Apple was massive. 

Iovine is estimated at between 900 and a billion, so they could build several libraries.

Of course, the legal bribes at least do benefit the school and the student body to some extent, rather than just the crew coach. It's not fair by any stretch of the imagination, but you can at least understand why it gets tolerated.

21 hours ago, J.T. said:

I'm not sure what will get her put in jail faster: the entitlement arrogance or plain ol' stupidity.

As far as Olivia Jade being stupid, she was at least smart enough to know that college wasn't for her and tried to make a career out of peddling her persona on the YouTubes..... until her parents fucked that gig up.

The thing is getting their daughter into USC was just a status thing to them! The dad is on tape freaking out about Olivia Jade possibly going to Arizona State which is a pretty good school.

18 hours ago, odessasteps said:

My Netflix plan for a while has been to cash in the free month offer i constantly receive, watch a few months worth of content and cancel before the month is up. Then repeat a year or so later. 

Paying for Amazon Prime (since it’s combined with the free shipping I get) and YouTube premium and NBC Sports Gold and now MLB AT Bat and the Criterion Channel is prob more than enough content for me. 

If you're a T Mobile customer, you get MLB.TV for free every year. Too late for that now but worth remembering for next year (if it applies). 

On 4/12/2019 at 6:39 AM, happjack said:

The thing is getting their daughter into USC was just a status thing to them! The dad is on tape freaking out about Olivia Jade possibly going to Arizona State which is a pretty good school.

Not being snarky at all, but I've seen a lot of Arizona State jokes on American Dad over the years. Not that I, being an alum and grad student at Idaho State University have anything to snicker at.(And yes its not a bad school either). 

Why didn't 30 Rock ever get a complete series boxset like Parks & Rec did? I think there was one released in the UK or something, but I can't find anything US based, so I'll have to buy the individual seasons I guess?

That said - the Parks & Rec set is like $30 right now so count me in (just in case it ever gets pulled from Netflix)

So Magicians anyone?

Don't click unless you've seen it.

The song was a hell of a thing, especially since we've already made it through the song episode. I've read the first two books, so I came into this show basically loathing Q. He's the sort of character you relate to at age 17 and resent for the rest of your life. The show had long outgrew him and now it gets the chance to. Getting Elliot back is a great trade. But the execution of all of it was excellent, down to Quentin just completely fucking up his talk with Penny 40 and everyone else making it all work.

On 4/16/2019 at 3:02 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

Teaser for THE LOUDEST VOICE

Showtime mini-series bio on Roger Ailes.  

Starring Russel Crowe, Naomi Watts, Sienna Miller, and Seth McFarlane

Premieres 6/30

I confused this with the Roger Ailes film coming out later this year (or next year). Can never have too much Roger Ailes.

4 hours ago, Matt D said:

So Magicians anyone?

Don't click unless you've seen it.

Hide contents

The song was a hell of a thing, especially since we've already made it through the song episode. I've read the first two books, so I came into this show basically loathing Q. He's the sort of character you relate to at age 17 and resent for the rest of your life. The show had long outgrew him and now it gets the chance to. Getting Elliot back is a great trade. But the execution of all of it was excellent, down to Quentin just completely fucking up his talk with Penny 40 and everyone else making it all work.

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

Never read the books, but I liked Quentin. Had his annoying moments, but so does everyone else. I liked how he grew in the show. and this was good a way to go out for him. Made sense and it will be interesting to see where the show goes.

• Like 1

Has anyone here seen the latest Orville episode? It will be interesting to see where they are going after the last scene.

For those of have seen the episode:

There are two obvious ways to go on:

(1) The easy way - treating the end as starting of a different timeline, which they could revisit in a later episode.

(2) The hard way - treating it as a changing of their timeline.

Slight spoiler for the season finale (answering the question in my spoiler above):

Considering the name of the next episode I assume they go for option two. If they do so I am curious how big the butterfly effect will be and how they will get back to the status quo. (I would be shocked if getting back to the status quo would not be the endgame.)

7 hours ago, Robert s said:

Has anyone here seen the latest Orville episode? It will be interesting to see where they are going after the last scene.

For those of have seen the episode:

Reveal hidden contents

There are two obvious ways to go on:

(1) The easy way - treating the end as starting of a different timeline, which they could revisit in a later episode.

(2) The hard way - treating it as a changing of their timeline.

Slight spoiler for the season finale (answering the question in my spoiler above):

Reveal hidden contents

Considering the name of the next episode I assume they go for option two. If they do so I am curious how big the butterfly effect will be and how they will get back to the status quo. (I would be shocked if getting back to the status quo would not be the endgame.)

I think it'll all work out ala Voyager's "Year of Hell" two parter.