DVDVR Message Board

2019 Q2 TV DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

I have so little memory of those years though I recall watching Aeon Flux, Daria, & the Maxx the most. I remember and liked the Daria best.

3 hours ago, Casey said:

How does CBS All Access work? If I do the free trial, can I burn through the new Twilight Zone episodes, or are they being the anti-Netflix and releasing new episodes a week at a time because "lol CBS"?

Episodes drop weekly. Wait until they finish the season up. I'm waiting to use my next free trial week for it and Star Trek Discovery. You can check out the first Twilight Zone episode on youtube.

Not sure why they didn't cast the only known Asian character with an Asian actress. Cho is probably a better than Reeves, but still not a good choice. I like Shakir, but he feels too young for Jet.

4 hours ago, Eivion said:

Not sure why they didn't cast the only known Asian character with an Asian actress. 

I am glad that someone remembered that Faye was born to a rich family in Singapore before she went into cryo sleep, but if you've ever seen Daniella Pineda you might mistake her for Asian at first glance. 

I can see why they cast her as Faye even though I don't really agree with it.  What did Victoria Loke (who is actually from fucking Singapore....) and Fan Bingbing have going on that Netflix did not give them a call?

I'm sure Daniella will do just fine, but it would've been nice to see an Asian actress in the role since we're all about ethnic groups seeing their individual fair share of representation in movie and television.

Cho is probably a better than Reeves, but still not a good choice. 

I'd have said the same before John Wick came out, but not anymore.

I wouldn't be surprised if Keanu ever came out and said that John Wick was pretty much a glorified rebuttal to the detractors that thought he didn't have the action chops to pull off Spike's badassery in a live adaptation of Cowboy Bebop.

I like Shakir, but he feels too young for Jet.

Me, too.

And yeah, I have no idea who they will get to play Ed.  They'd better not have Ed wearing any sort of footwear for the entire movie or I will be pissed off. 

One of the reasons I love the Karl Urban / Dredd movie is because Karl insisted that he never have a scene where he'd have to remove the trademark helmet.

Ed should always be barefoot.  period..

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, J.T. said:

What did... Fan Bingbing have going on that Netflix did not give them a call?

Tax Evasion, mostly.

• Haha 1

On 4/4/2019 at 2:14 PM, Cliff Hanger said:

Netflix have announced most of the core cast of live-ac Cowboy Bebop: John Cho as Spike, Daniella Pineda as Faye, Mustafa Shakir as Jet and Alex Hassell as Vicious. No word on Ed.

Literally nothing about that makes me want to see it.

Shakir was great in Luke Cage S2, but yeah, too young.  Everyone else is just...no.  No.

• Like 1

Dallas Season 4 continues!

- Well this Mitch Cooper/Lucy Ewing thing is doomed. Mitch is super not cool with Lucy's coming from privilege and no matter what Lucy does she seems to shit gold. This pisses off poor Mitch off no end

- Pam finding her birth mother has so many starts and stops it kills the flow of the story most times. Of course Pam has other issues this season what with Alex Ward making it clear he wants to steal her from Bobby. Things are going to get so much worse for Pam toward the end of season 4 going into season 5.

- Hey Bobby did a pretty bang up job as president of Ewing Oil. He even took some big risks when The Cartel offered him that sweet development buy-in. Still, JR had to come back into the fold to lead and lead he does...

- JR legit funds a revolution to get the oilfields is Asia back and make nice with the Cartel again after the Asian deal went stupid in season 3. They bring in Susan Flannery as Leslie Stewart to be the PR woman for Ewing Oil but her insistence on being kept informed on everything JR has his hands in was never going to work. It doesn't help that JH is JR and wants to get in her pants. Its weird because even in early 1980, Susan Flannery looks like JR's grandmother. Of course Cliff Barnes sticks his nose in this but it's Cliff and we know how he gets in his own way

- Jock and Miss Ellie are at odds over the Takapa land development and Miss Ellie is equally pissed after Jock adds Ray Krebbs to The Ewing Trust in Jock's will. With Ray being outed as Jock's son the trust gets split 4 ways instead of 3 (JR, Bobby, Gary and now Ray). Add to that Jock is training Ray in how to run business deal.  It gets so bad between Ellie and Jock that they spend most of season 4 not talking to each other. Hell Ellie is downright disgusted by both Jock and JR and straight up tells them so. She was so pissed she kicks Jock off of Southfork. This really is the main story of Season 4 and wraps up right before...

- Sue Ellen has had enough JR and realizes that raising John Ross on Southfork is just going ot lead him to be like his father. So the last few episodes deal with Sue Ellen escaping Southfork with John Ross in tow (with Pam's help). This story was so weird because we'd gotten to a point where BOTH JR and Sue Ellen were philandering and neither seemed to care. Then sudddenly Sue Ellen wants to be mother of the year? I mean for 3/4 of this season the two of them were back to being in love and schemeing against Bobby and Pam again. Of course  The revelation that Sue Ellen's Rodeo lovin' boyfriend Dusty Farlow didn't die at the end of season 3 like we were told and his daddy Clayton Farlow just happens to be a wealthy oil magnate (which is important for Season 5).

- Overall season 4 starts strong and stays that way until Sue Ellen and Pam kidnap John Ross. Kristin also returns at the nd of Season 4 and ends up dead in the Southfork pool but it really was more of a closing of the on that character. In fact her death and who killed her really is less important than the Sue Ellen story at the end. The Ellie/Jock Feud ends with Bobby coming up with a compromise for Takapa for Jock's investors and Ellie and the DOA. Jock and Ellie end season 4 taking a second Honeymoon in Europe and sadly it is the last we physically see of Jock as actor Jim Davis passed away during the hiatus. Anytime Jock is needed when season 5 starts it always a phone call from Washington DC.

- BREAKING NEWS!!! Cliff Barnes is still a schmuck, even after he is given the info he needs to finallybeat JR. Of course Cliff fucks it all up because its Cliff Barnes and fucking things up is what he does best!

- Character Actor ALERT! Len birman (Simon of the Captain America TV Movie) and Joanna Cassidy show up throuhgout this season and I'm pretty sure Alex Cord (Archangel from Airwolf) appears as a guy working for Weststar Oil asked to keep tabs on both Cliff and JR

James

Edited by J.H.
  • Like 1

I guess I completely missed the news last year that Disney+ was remaking High Fidelity into a TV series with Zoe Kravitz as the lead. That's... interesting. I'll give it a try, but the movie is one of my favorites so I don't know how I feel about this yet.

Digging Fosse/Verdon. I've never been much of a Sam Rockwell fan but he's great in this. I've never been much of a musical fan either (as the musical thread attests) but I read up about Bob Fosse's life, found out he directed fucking Star 80, and realized I had to see this. 

Oh, and Michelle Williams was on Colbert tonight and wow does she look totally different than in this 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

This weeks (UK) American Dad completely tipped me over the edge with the return of 

Spoiler

Ricky Spanish

as well as Principal Lewis giving Steve PEDs to up his Jazz scat game, Francine's "Cheque, please!" comment and Rogu, Roger's cute tumour.

I completely forgot that Counterpart season 2 aired so I went to go watch it on Starz on demand and...it wasn't there. I did some searching and found that Starz wouldn't carry it's 3rd season, but they gave a bullshit excuse for removing it from on demand, which was that they always rotate content.

This itself is a blatant lie because their on demand has all of their old and cancelled series. It's just really weird for them to remove all of season 2, but still leave season 1 on there and season 2 just ended in February.

And YouTube TV just motherfucked their subscribers. Price increase from $35 to $50 because they're adding a bunch of shit I don't want and didn't ask for, like Discovery, Oprah, and HGTV. 

Fuck them. There's literally no point to having it now.

Oh my fucking goodness. To go along with the massive YTTV increase, Netflix is increasing their price yet again. I swear this is the 2nd or 3rd time they've increased their rates in the last year or two.

Man, a good way for Disney+ to eat everyone's lunch would be to launch at a $5 to $8 price point.

12 hours ago, Craig H said:

And YouTube TV just motherfucked their subscribers. Price increase from $35 to $50 because they're adding a bunch of shit I don't want and didn't ask for, like Discovery, Oprah, and HGTV. 

Fuck them. There's literally no point to having it now.

It seems cord cutting services are fucking themselves and everyone else and possibly sending the whole thing into an early grave.  I was going to switch from  Sling to DirectTV Now and save a few bucks a month, but I noticed DTV overhauled ALL their packages to the point where it's now something like 15 per month more than I pay for Sling.  And most of their packages are now more expensive than cable.  WTF dudes.

• Like 1

Yeah, they're totally shooting themselves in the foot. I priced out how much it would cost to add TV with Comcast in addition to my internet connection and it's the same price. What's the point in even cutting the cord?

13 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Aunt Becky is apparently as dumb as her daughter.

I'm not sure what will get her put in jail faster: the entitlement arrogance or plain ol' stupidity.

As far as Olivia Jade being stupid, she was at least smart enough to know that college wasn't for her and tried to make a career out of peddling her persona on the YouTubes..... until her parents fucked that gig up.

Edited by J.T.

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

Yeah, they're totally shooting themselves in the foot. I priced out how much it would cost to add TV with Comcast in addition to my internet connection and it's the same price. What's the point in even cutting the cord?

I had HBO, Showtime, and some other premium stuff, so my monthly cable and Internet bill was something like $180.  I dropped everything but Internet, built my own router so I wasn't renting theirs (it's Verizon, so I had to ask their guy to work some cabling magic as well), and then got Sling and the premium channels' apps, and it came out to like $120.  It's a decent savings but I can see the margin getting thinner.  After seeing DTV's increases, I researched other TV replacement services and only Sling was still in that $20-30 price range...so these guys are starting to see dollar signs and are missing the point of why people turn to them in the first place.  This would be like the Goodwill Store approaching Nordstrom's prices.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Wall Street Journal had a photo of one of the other ladies that got busted next to one of Laughlin. The other lady looks STRESSED. Laughlin, instead is SMILING FOR THE CAMERA. And her husband who's standing behind her? The dude Mossimo who runs Mossimo, the clothing brand. They must be rich as fuck and they STILL pulled this shit?! 

17 minutes ago, Bustronaut said:

It's *because* they're rich as fuck that they assumed they COULD pull this shit and not have any consequences.

Except they aren't rich as fuck, they are merely rich.  If they were rich as fuck, they could have done this the legal way and had a library or dorm built.  They were just rich enough to pay half a million out of pocket to get their kid in school, but to spend the type of money it would take to get a building with your name on it...that takes wealth.  They're estimated at around $88 million, a new library probably costs over $10,000,000 just to build.  Then they'd have to buy the books, computers, and everything else...they don't have that kind of money to spend.  For instance, remember when Dr. Dre posted that pic of his daughter saying he didn't do anything illegal to get her into UCLA.  What he did was 100% legal, but he and Jimmy Iovine gave UCLA $70 million.  Being rich as fuck is extremely relative, but if you have less than $100 million, you are just rich.  I heard that the average millionaire doesn't see themselves as wealthy, and while that is absurd based on the fact that anyone who makes about $450,000 is more wealthy than 99% of the population, they aren't wrong.  If you have a million in the bank, you are doing great, but that isn't the kind of money that gets your dumb ass, good for nothing kids into school.  You'd have to not only have tens of millions of dollars to do that, but you'd need tens of millions of dollars IN CASH to spend which is a whole different level of rich.  

• Thanks 1