DVDVR Message Board

2019 Q2 MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

1 hour ago, Eivion said:

I thought he had already gotten called out on something a few years back.

I think that was just for general creepery. The allegations coming out now from his exes is quite horrendous. Rape, abuse, gaslighting...

Apparently Anna Akana did call him a psychopath who tortures and sexually abuses women in 2017 when Bright came out, but I don't think it got much traction, because I have zero recollection of it.

8 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Apparently Anna Akana did call him a psychopath who tortures and sexually abuses women in 2017 when Bright came out, but I don't think it got much traction, because I have zero recollection of it.

tenor.gif?itemid=5233870

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

ON A MORE POSITIVE NOTE!

Saw Joe Bob Briggs last night. He did his "How Rednecks Saved Hollywood" presentation. Had a great time.

He talked about the history of rednecks and hillbillies and terms of where in Europe the came from and how they migrated to the Appalachian Mountains(also explains why it seemed everywhere I went in my youth was called Cumberland). He then covered the cinematic redneck throughout history. From Ma and Pa Kettle to Ernest to what he considered the greatest film in history - Smokey and the Bandit. Plenty of clips and trailers from some fantastic genre/exploitation flicks abound.

Highly recommend if he comes to a town near you.

• Like 3

I haven't seen Joe Bob in person in forever.  I met him in '84 when he was on a book tour supporting Joe Bob Goes To The Drive In.

I think I still have the autographed copy of the book somewhere in my stack 'o stuff in the man cave... or what's left of the man cave now that my boo's daughter and her kid are living with us for the time being.

Saw Toy Story 4.

The first 3 are 10/10 films in my eyes. 

This was...a good straight to DVD movie? At worst, questionable for why it needed to be made. Enjoyable trip to the IMDB app to put the voices to faces afterwards. 

Overall, nothing special. Wait till a torrent turns up. 6.5/10

Finally got around to seeing Mission Impossible Fallout. So I've seen every movie in the series... but I wasn't, like, memorising every plot point. Seeing this movie, I kind of feel like I should have been, because so much of it was clearly meant to have a deeper meaning to long term fans of the series, but went right over my head. I just remember the set pieces, really, and that the plot of the first one was a convoluted mess of double crosses and fakeouts. This movie had really good set pieces, and the plot was convoluted and full of double crosses and fakeouts, but it wasn't a mess. Swerves were logical and had the "I didn't see that coming, but I could have/ should have" aspect that makes people think 'good swerve'. 

I still think Tom Cruise has a death wish though. Doing high speed motorcycle chases through oncoming traffic, and not wearing a helmet so we can see it's actually him, that's two Mission Impossibles in a row he's done that. And then the helicopter stuff, he learned to fly a chopper so he could do those stunts himself. So either he wants to die on a movie set, or he thinks he's the shoot Captain Scarlet.

Good film though. Loved the fight scene soundtracked only by the sounds of impacts, and grunts of pain and effort.

Edited by AxB
Fallout, not Rogue Nation
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AxB said:

Finally got around to seeing Mission Impossible Rogue Nation. So I've seen every movie in the series... but I wasn't, like, memorising every plot point. Seeing this movie, I kind of feel like I should have been, because so much of it was clearly meant to have a deeper meaning to long term fans of the series, but went right over my head. I just remember the set pieces, really, and that the plot of the first one was a convoluted mess of double crosses and fakeouts. This movie had really good set pieces, and the plot was convoluted and full of double crosses and fakeouts, but it wasn't a mess. Swerves were logical and had the "I didn't see that coming, but I could have/ should have" aspect that makes people think 'good swerve'. 

I still think Tom Cruise has a death wish though. Doing high speed motorcycle chases through oncoming traffic, and not wearing a helmet so we can see it's actually him, that's two Mission Impossibles in a row he's done that. And then the helicopter stuff, he learned to fly a chopper so he could do those stunts himself. So either he wants to die on a movie set, or he thinks he's the shoot Captain Scarlet.

Good film though. Loved the fight scene soundtracked only by the sounds of impacts, and grunts of pain and effort.

Add the plane scene in the beginning of the last one to Cruise's death wish evidence. . . YIKES

And pretty much every climbing sequence in the series. They all do the 'Go in close so they can see it's really Tom, then pull right out to show how high up he is and that he's not on wires' shot.

Edited by AxB
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, AxB said:

the plot was convoluted and full of double crosses and fakeouts

At this point, I'd be disappointed if a M:I movie didn't have at least five convoluted double crosses and fakeouts. It's part of the fun. 

The last three M:I movies blow the last three Bond movies out of the water. Yes, even Skyfall. 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

At this point, I'd be disappointed if a M:I movie didn't have at least five convoluted double crosses and fakeouts. It's part of the fun. 

The last three M:I movies blow the last three Bond movies out of the water. Yes, even Skyfall. 

Oh, definitely. They are only rivaled by John Wick for best action series going. (Unless we get another Mad Max of course)

The Dead Don't Die was a lot of fun. Hilarious and prescient without being preachy, I'd put it up there with Shawn of the Dead but think it works better as a horror movie while Shawn is a better comedy, if that makes sense. I also liked how Jarmusch decided to be openly meta because he just doesn't give a fuck. It feels like at the end of the movie he said "we don't have an ending for this, who cares?" Which is kind of the point.

BTW, I tried to watch Dragged Across Concrete last night, but as soon as Mel Gibson started in on an extended edgelord-style "woe is me, the poor endangered straight white male" rant, I turned it off. I know he was playing a character but I have little doubt that he harbors similar feelings...

8 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

BTW, I tried to watch Dragged Across Concrete last night, but as soon as Mel Gibson started in on an extended edgelord-style "woe is me, the poor endangered straight white male" rant, I turned it off. I know he was playing a character but I have little doubt that he harbors similar feelings...

To me that was like the 15th most grotesque thing about the movie.

Since the Natural brought him up, I thought The Mule was the most poor endangered straight white male movie I've seen recently. You're helping the helpless late Generation X/older millennial black dude fix his tire because really what he needs is a feeble octogenarian. That won't embarrass him in front of his wife and daughter. Thanks, Clint.

I think Mel's character develops somewhere (not to spoil it if you plan to continue) while Vaughn's character does not. That may be where Mel is really in life. Sidebar: Apparently, Mel is trying to cast Jamie Foxx, Dinklage, and Michael Fassbender in his contemporary (neo Western?) adaptation of The Wild Bunch. I put Dragged Across Concrete mostly on Zahler. Going from interviews, that is his perspective. I'm going to put The Wild Bunch 100% on old Mel.

Fast and Furious was the only other franchise I thought rivaled M:I or was better than it until Fate of the Furious came out and that movie wasn't that good. And that's me speaking as someone who fucking loves that series more than anyone should. I even like Tokyo Drift.

The only M:I movie I don't like is 2. I think from 3 on each one has been better than the one before it. I didn't think anything would be better than Rogue Nation and then Fallout came along and Fallout is damn near perfect as an action movie. It's easily the best in the entire series.

It's also weird, but I went from not being able to stand Tom Cruise to really appreciating how he's basically willing to die or cripple himself for all of us. I said it before, but he's the American Jackie Chan. This dude won't stop until he's broken enough to be forced to stop. Hell, I bet Tom Cruise still has one of these left in him even though he's in his 50s:

Obviously skip to the end for the really insane stunt, but the one near the beginning where he just takes a dive onto the floor from the floor above is crazy too.

36 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Fast and Furious was the only other franchise I thought rivaled M:I or was better than it until Fate of the Furious came out and that movie wasn't that good. And that's me speaking as someone who fucking loves that series more than anyone should. I even like Tokyo Drift.

The only M:I movie I don't like is 2. I think from 3 on each one has been better than the one before it. I didn't think anything would be better than Rogue Nation and then Fallout came along and Fallout is damn near perfect as an action movie. It's easily the best in the entire series.

It's also weird, but I went from not being able to stand Tom Cruise to really appreciating how he's basically willing to die or cripple himself for all of us. I said it before, but he's the American Jackie Chan. This dude won't stop until he's broken enough to be forced to stop. Hell, I bet Tom Cruise still has one of these left in him even though he's in his 50s:

Obviously skip to the end for the really insane stunt, but the one near the beginning where he just takes a dive onto the floor from the floor above is crazy too.

He is Paramount now. The last two times Paramount was in the top 10 highest grossing movies worldwide? Rogue Nation and Fallout. The next two times they will probably be in the top ten? Top Gun 2 in 2020 (Minions 2 will cut into that but it has an outside shot) and the next Mission: Impossible movie in 2021. Their best non-Tom Cruise hope is a SpongeBob movie. You know what it's going against the same day? Fast & Furious 9. With Sumner Redstone (who fired him in 2006 and axed Cruise/Wagner productions also) gone, he can do virtually what he wants for a ton of money including crazy, insane stunts. All hail crazy Scientology man.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco