DVDVR Message Board

2019 Q2 MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

All of you are idiots for not giving any love to the Matrix callback in the John Wick 3 trailer where Winston asks John what he needs and he replies, "Guns.  Lots of guns."

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

@LoneWolf&Subs already spoke on the MI franchise.  I can tell you Wick is amazing and I kind of envy you getting to see it cold for the first time.  The world building and the action are both amazing.  I found Wick 2 a little trying at times (jesus, another flying armbar into multiple gunshots!) and somewhat over-reaching but still very good.  The first one is lean and badass.  You'll love it.

Cheers, @Technico Support

5 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I gotta watch these, because currently I’ve binge watched the Mission:Impossible film franchise, and this to me is the greatest American action franchise ever.

I love the recent M:I films, but I can't give that title to a franchise with M:I 2 and 3 in it.

21 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

I love the recent M:I films, but I can't give that title to a franchise with M:I 2 and 3 in it.

M:I 3 may not be great like the others, but it’s a damn good setup for the rest of the franchise. Just a little too dark, and melodramatic.

M:I 2 is a piece of shit, and a massive blemish to John Woo’s career. It is though very important to the future of how the franchise ended up so great.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

I mean damn, the stable fight alone had me giggling in glee and it just didn't stop from there. Everythign just kept gettign more and more awesome  as the movie went on. Hell even Mark Dacascos was good (despite me making eseveral declarations of "Aleez Cuisine!" whenever he'd score a big move). I wish Mark Musashi would get in  nthis for a speaking part and fight  scenes because Mark Musashi is awesome!

James

Edited by J.H.

14 hours ago, J.T. said:

All of you are idiots for not giving any love to the Matrix callback in the John Wick 3 trailer where Winston asks John what he needs and he replies, "Guns.  Lots of guns."

No. I'm an idiot because I haven't found time to catch the latest one yet. 

Even after Chapter 2, Keanu has to rank high on the all time American action star list. Between these, Matrix, and Point Break, he's sitting on a bunch of stone classics.

No, I don't rate Speed and never will. 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy

16 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

M:I 3 may not be great like the others, but it’s a damn good setup for the rest of the franchise. Just a little too dark, and melodramatic.

M:I 2 is a piece of shit, and a massive blemish to John Woo’s career. It is though very important to the future of how the franchise ended up so great.

Agreed. I watched a fan edit of MI2 in the lead up to Fallout and despite the fact it had 140 edits and 38 minutes cut and toned down the excessive John Woo style (slow motion, corny one liners, doves, etc.) it still sucked. Proof that you can't polish a turd

• Like 1

7 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

On that same note, it's a shame Hugo Weaving has decided he's too good to be in things that are cool. 

He was in Mortal Engines, so his standards can't be that high.

• Haha 1

M:I 3 is awesome. I like it more than most, but it was what would happen if we got an Alias movie. PSH was awesome and a kick ass villain when people shit on the idea of him being the villain before the movie came out. Not all villains need to be super buff. Sometimes you just need to say ultra dark shit like "Do you have a wife or girlfriend? Because you know what I'm going to do next? Whoever she is, I'm going to find her and I'm going to hurt her. I'm going to make her bleed and cry and call out your name and you're not going to be able to shit. And you know why? Because you're going to be close to dead and then I'm going to kill you right in front of her."

COOOOOOOLD BLOOOOOOOODED

My main complaint that I can remember from M:I 3 was the very ending of it. I thought it was leading up to a nice ending, but then there was the whole sequence with the bomb implanted in Ethan Hunt's brain that lasted what felt like another 15 to 20 minutes. Also, the Rabbit's Foot was kinda whatever as a Macguffin too.

M:I 3 resurrected the franchise. YMMV depending on how much you like Alias or JJ, but it's without a doubt a good movie and it brought the franchise back from the dead where M:I 2 left it. 3 introduced Simon Pegg in what was basically the Flinkman role

And if M:I 3 brought it back from the dead, then Ghost Protocol was basically the franchise shaking off the stiffness and running again. From then on the series became just batshit insane and so fucking good.

I didn't think you could really top the insanity in Rogue Nation, but then Fallout was like BAM, here's one of the best action movies of all time, cue the Kenny Powers gif of him doing the suck it sign with fireworks going off behind him.

M:I and the Fast series almost have this kinda sorta arms build up between them for which franchise can go bigger and crazier. I didn't think anything could steal my heart away from the Fast series, but Fallout did that and I don't think Fast 9 is going to be able to steal it back.

• Like 3

Just got around to The Predator. I watched it on a whim and I’m glad I took a chance on it. There’s some choppy editing and the ending definitely has that studio reshoot feel, but it’s not a total mess. The cast is really fun and it’s got enough enjoyable stuff with Shane Black’s fingerprints on it that I wouldn’t call it a missed opportunity.

The unfortunate part is that Fred Dekker and Black are dinosaurs who give superficial treatment to characters with PTSD and autism that’s patronizing and dated.  There’s also Olivia Munn’s character, whose general competence levels change from scene to scene, presumably because the writers were afraid of some dopes online calling her a Mary Sue. 

On 5/21/2019 at 9:33 AM, J.T. said:

If only Knights in White Satin were playing it could have been a nod to Split Second. 

The prior John Wicks have been running on the Paramount Network a lot recently, but I refuse to watch them because they're probably edited. Anybody know about that? I should probably just go rent them (because of course I haven't seen them like an idiot. Well, actually, I did watch some of 2 once but it was too far in so I stopped)

EDIT: Heh. Coincidentally they're on right now... and they're rated TV-14. Nope. (Also coincidentally, all three Matrix movies are airing on WGN in a row)

Edited by Curt McGirt

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

The prior John Wicks have been running on the Paramount Network a lot recently, but I refuse to watch them because they're probably edited. Anybody know about that? I should probably just go rent them (because of course I haven't seen them like an idiot. Well, actually, I did watch some of 2 once but it was too far in so I stopped)

EDIT: Heh. Coincidentally they're on right now... and they're rated TV-14. Nope. (Also coincidentally, all three Matrix movies are airing on WGN in a row)

You should go buy them.

• Like 1