DVDVR Message Board

2019 Q2 MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

So I watched Eliminators (2016), a WWE studios film starring Scott Adkins and Wade Barrett. It's like a supermarket own brand Jason Bourne movie if Matt Damon was carved from oak, with a low budget and a short run time, and they keep doing Wrestling moves in the fight scenes. And Stu is the villain, so the hero gets to kick out of his finish... Not exactly, but Bennett does hit the Wasteland on Adkins and then dies seconds later.

The boss villain is played by that guy who was the Old Bear in GoT and the crooked Priest in SoA (and Ewan McGregor's dad in Trainspotting)EDIT: James Cosmo. He has his usual presence, but he seems like he can't really be arsed. All in all, mostly interesting to wonder why half the Wrestlers who Vince casts in movies end up leaving (Wade, Ambrose, Dibiase Jr, Cena eventually). And why he never put Cody Rhodey in a movie even though he actually had acting ambitions, and skills.

Edited by AxB
Remembered his name

Because Vince never had the talent to be a successful movie producer no matter how much he always wanted to be. But anyway, the title of that movie just reminded me of this

43850_2_front.jpg

EDIT: HOLY FUCK HOW DO I KNOW ABOUT THIS MOVIE BUT I'VE NEVER SEEN IT?!?!

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

You'd think if they were making a movie called Eliminators and it was to do with Wrestling, it would be about a short intense guy, who kidnapped a natural athlete with learning disabilities, took him to Memphis and forced him to be his partner. Then dumped him to go to a big company, wear a dress and become a drug addict.

• Haha 4

I was just thinking about Once Upon A Time In The West, and how originally Clint Eastwood was going to play Harmonica. I wonder how that would’ve worked. Like I don’t think Eastwood would’ve played a Native American, so that little character trait wouldn’t have been there. But would’ve he have been just “The Man with No Name” with a new name, and gimmick, or would’ve he worn a completely different outfit?

3 hours ago, AxB said:

You'd think if they were making a movie called Eliminators and it was to do with Wrestling, it would be about a short intense guy, who kidnapped a natural athlete with learning disabilities, took him to Memphis and forced him to be his partner. Then dumped him to go to a big company, wear a dress and become a drug addict.

The best and, at the same time, worst part of the whole Eliminators saga is how it gave us the expression "shoot retarded."

Edited by Technico Support
  • Haha 2

Guest The Magnificent 7
On 4/23/2019 at 4:19 PM, Swiftian said:

I hated it the first time I watched it, yet it stuck in my head and I'd find myself thinking about it months later. I watched it again about a year later and loved it. One of my favourite films of the last decade.

Cool. I have youtubed the tent scene more than a few times since I watched it as it was awe inducing. I can see the film as a whole being a different experience if I watch it in a few years. Better or worse I have no idea. 

This was released without much (any?) fanfare, but heads up that Tarantino re-edited The Hateful Eight for Netflix and they just released it this weekend in an episodic format. Having not seen it since its theatrical release, I'm not sure I'd pick up on it but there is some additional footage and different editing and alternate takes of scenes used.

• Thanks 1

In a moment of "separate the art from the artist", I watched "Chinatown" today. I hadn't seen it in years and it's still fucking awesome. It came up on the Undpooled podcast last week and there it was on Amazon prime. This time watching it, the score really stood out to me. The trumpet just bringing it lower and lower as the darkness of the ending arrived is fucking brilliant.

I just wanted to briefly mention that I rewatched The Mighty Ducks with my kids the other night. Like most kids, I loved it as a kid and wanted to play hockey because of it. I hadn't seen it in over 20 years.

I'm sad to say that on this recent rewatch I discovered that The Mighty Ducks is a fucking awful movie. 

Major Payne does it better. Waaaaaay better.

I saw this movie called Chaos the other day, it's not the one with Jason Statham, its a random independent movie.  Its almost a beat for beat remake of Last House on the Left, except it was trying to up the ante on the brutality.  But it's a terrible movie.  The actual remake was better

19 hours ago, John Austin said:

I saw this movie called Chaos the other day, it's not the one with Jason Statham, its a random independent movie.  Its almost a beat for beat remake of Last House on the Left, except it was trying to up the ante on the brutality.  But it's a terrible movie.  The actual remake was better

Yep the film made by wrestler David Defalco. Has Sage Stallone as one of Krugs gahg. 

Defalco use to claim he had never seen LHotL.

3 hours ago, bobholly138 said:

Yep the film made by wrestler David Defalco. Has Sage Stallone as one of Krugs gahg. 

Defalco use to claim he had never seen LHotL.

Never saw it my butt lol Was it Sage's last role before he died?

I read a little more on it. Found out he was mad Ebert gave it 0 stars. Didn't the original I Spit on Your Grave get 0 stars too?

I don't think I ever want to rewatch I Spit On Your Grave/Day of the Woman, but I do highly disagree with Ebert's take on it.

(Though, if memory serves, half his review was about the audience cheering and laughing, which... Is valid)

Dragged Across Concrete is really good. At 2 hours and 40 minutes it's a lot to get through and the pacing is quite slow at times, though I'd say it's more deliberate than anything. They really give all the characters all their own nuances and quirks that makes them feel more like actual people. Many of the scenes with Vaughn and Gibson's characters honestly made me feel like I was watching a season of True Detective that was never made. It's not as good as Heat or The Town in terms of long movies centering around heists and morally compromised individuals but it's worth watching. 

Edited by HumanChessgame

On 5/4/2019 at 1:19 AM, Brian Fowler said:

(Though, if memory serves, half his review was about the audience cheering and laughing, which... Is valid)

My friend was telling me that as well. Like you, he didnt think it was as bad as they said. 

On another controversial movie, The Bunny Game is on YouTube so I watched it. It was kinda boring and long for 70 something minutes. They put the hooker through hell but didnt really give us any character development for her, other than she's a hooker and does these things. I was kinda bored throughout. Very eh

I rewatched ‘Four Lions’ yesterday and it’s still incredible.  Every time I watch it, I can’t help but wonder how much upset there would be if more people knew it existed: “Jews invented spark plugs to control global traffic.”

• Like 2

On 5/3/2019 at 2:48 PM, odessasteps said:

Um hell yes thanks for the heads up.

I go right by the Petersen every Monday driving down Wilshire, looks like I'll be making a stop next week. 

On 5/6/2019 at 8:27 PM, caley said:

I rewatched ‘Four Lions’ yesterday and it’s still incredible.  Every time I watch it, I can’t help but wonder how much upset there would be if more people knew it existed: “Jews invented spark plugs to control global traffic.”

Such a dark ballsy comedy. Please check Four Lions out. My favourite scene:

"Is he a martyr or is he a fucking jalfrezi?"

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2