DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2019 WRESTLING GIFS

2 hours ago, olythegreat89 said:

tumblr_o5b1gleNRb1ql0k28o4_250.gif

The best WWF Light heavyweight title match of all time?

I'd say so. It's ashame WWE did exactly nothing with the LHW title while Malenko was holding it.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, clintthecrippler said:

Seriously, how the hell could anyone in power look at Rowan, and look at Harper, and say that ROWAN is the one we will feature on TV every week?

I don't know, but trying to overthink WWE's decisions could cause a tumor. Be careful.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, clintthecrippler said:

Seriously, how the hell could anyone in power look at Rowan, and look at Harper, and say that ROWAN is the one we will feature on TV every week?

Seriously? Aside from the time he played the violin and was a sommelier (or whatever the fuck they had him doing), he's played the big bad bruiser to a tee. He's a spectacular thug underling for any star.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Marty Sugar said:

Seriously? Aside from the time he played the violin and was a sommelier (or whatever the fuck they had him doing), he's played the big bad bruiser to a tee. He's a spectacular thug underling for any star.

The same can be said for Harper, then he can go have a match that tears the house down. That's the difference between he and Rowan. I happen to like Rowan, but Harper is the better of the two.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1

Just now, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Harper can also give you that, then go have a match that tears the house down.

Apples and oranges. The big bully bruiser dude is not supposed to give you a MOTY match. It's like the convo in the Sasha bullshit thread about how "not everyone is supposed to be a star."  Harper is a great worker but he was only ever a monster as Brodie Lee against all the tiny ROH and Chikara guys. Harper is tallish and a good hand, but skinny as a rail. It's like when Rhyno was a monster in ECW, then walked into the WWE and looked 5 feet tall. Harper had a good few years of traveling the world and making some solid money. Now he can leave, pad his indie paydays because of his run in the WWE. Two years from now they hire him back. Such a hard life.

• Like 1

You can always fix the tallish issue with lifts. It worked for Kane. As for being a monster, I think Harper had that aura. He certainly felt like a monster during the Wyatt's initial run and the Bludgeon Brothers. If you're presented as a monster, the fans are going to buy you as one. He's not as big a Rowan, but he's still a big friggin' guy. I don't see Harper being a better in-ring performer as a negative. Would you say that Vader shouldn't have been doing the moonsault or Bam Bam Bigelow shouldn't have been using the flying headbutt or throwing dropkicks because they were monsters? To me, doing things guys that size shouldn't be doing makes you more of a monster. I never said anything about whether he has a hard life or his pay. Those aren't my concerns. I'm a fan. My concern is wanting to be entertained by what I'm watching. FWIW, I like Rowan. I have nothing against him.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

I like Harper, but I never bought the idea that he was some kind of monster aside from Bludgeon Brothers, and a lot of that was to do with Rowan. Rowan carries that type of aura way better even if he isn't as good in the ring. Even w/o that monster aura though Harper  is still a big dude who can carry himself well. He doesn't make himself feel nearly as small as say Baron Corbin. I think point though was more for what they are trying to do with Rowan at times, he makes more sense to use than Harper.

If Harper was in Rowan's current role, I am 9000% sure people would still be complaining about it not being a good enough role. Rowan's biggest hurdle with the IWC crowd has always been Not Being Harper. You can praise Harper's work without shitting all over Rowan for what amounts to no reason. 

2 hours ago, MORELOCK said:

If Harper was in Rowan's current role, I am 9000% sure people would still be complaining about it not being a good enough role. Rowan's biggest hurdle with the IWC crowd has always been Not Being Harper. You can praise Harper's work without shitting all over Rowan for what amounts to no reason. 

which nobody did

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MORELOCK said:

Except clintthecrippler, the person who brought it up. 

I wasn't referring to you, though you're also being unfair. Rowan was in those Wyatts-Shield classics too. 

Except not once has Rowan actually genuinely projected being a MONSTER other than being tall and standing in a corner.

Is Rowan a serviceable big guy that is perfectly fine during short spurts in tag matches? Sure. 

But the way Harper moves around and carries himself in the ring has always stood out as scarier and more intense than Rowan. 

Is Harper seven feet tall like Rowan? Nope. Is he still taller than the majority of the current roster, and does he present everything he does with bruising intent that would put him over as a danger with the right presentation - which happened when he was with the Wyatts? Most definitely. 

Even in terms of "which guy looks more like the member of an eco terrorist cult", Harper's look is better for that gimmick as well while still being plenty tall enough to tower over Daniel Bryan in the side by side camera shots. 

I am not going to jump on the "Luke Harper should have been WWE Champion" bandwagon, but a guy with his look and talent is someone that should be a no-brainer to program in some sort of "heavyweight gatekeeper" role. 

• Like 2

People are debating viewpoints that are not mutually exclusive. Harper (more experience, yes?) is for sure a better worker than Rowan but they both have presence and are a natural fit together, and you can prefer either one anyway without devaluing the other. Rowan makes a great monster back-up for a smaller heel. Both haven't been utilized to the best of their potential, and you can argue whether they are "top" guys or not. We are all in the same gang, DVDVRers! I am usually not this conciliatory, sorry.

the interWebs!,

RAF

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

People are debating viewpoints that are not mutually exclusive. Harper (more experience, yes?) is for sure a better worker than Rowan but they both have presence and are a natural fit together, and you can prefer either one anyway without devaluing the other. Rowan makes a great monster back-up for a smaller heel. Both haven't been utilized to the best of their potential, and you can argue whether they are "top" guys or not. We are all in the same gang, DVDVRers! I am usually not this conciliatory, sorry.

the interWebs!,

RAF

You make good points.

Personally, I felt the Bludgeon Brothers outfits exposed Harper as being less a "monster" and more just a tall and skinny dude...who was getting skinnier and skinnier every month. His "Big Rig" gear worked more to his build and added to the mystique of this kinda ratty, disheveled big man that could fucking move. Could he have had a Cactus Jack type of run...the grimy nut that instilled fear more for his persona than his build? Probably. Ultimately his injuries held him back.

Rowan has that look the WWE likes in their heels. He's big,  he's burly. He's got a weird face/beard combo. If he wrestled 40 years ago he'd have made a fortune working MSG against Bruno and he'd be in the HOF and we'd trundle his matches out as THIS IS WHAT A HOSS LOOKS LIKE!

Although Harper would've been the Killer Kowalski type and made  just as much money in a similar era, so...yeah. Yeah, yeah, yeah.

Just my two cents.

• Like 3

The thing that Harper has for him is that everything he does looks impactful.  I watched his match with Dijokovic and it was really clear that Harper's offense just looks much more vicious than just about everyone else's.  @Marty Sugar's Cactus Jack comparison is kind of spot on.  

FANTASY BOOKING TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Harper was out a while injured, and Rowan was put with Daniel Bryan while he was out, so they needed a way to introduce him once he was healthy.  Have him run in on lower card matches and beat up both guys.  Have a match between Tyler Breeze and Eric Young or somebody, and just have Harper run in, beat on both of them and just run out of the ring.  Have him do that for a couple of weeks until he runs into someone who sees him coming and it turns into a wild crazy brawl.  Can you imagine him and Joe having a blood feud where they just beat the hell out of each other all over an arena?  I can, and I'm kind of said I won't get to see it.

• Like 1