Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board
RIPPA

APRIL 2019 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

Recommended Posts

Backlash is now known as Stomping Grounds

Quote

A WWE pay-per-view is officially set for Tacoma, Washington this June.

The Tacoma Dome announced today that they'll be hosting WWE Stomping Grounds on June 23. This will be the first time WWE has used the Stomping Grounds PPV name.

Backlash was originally scheduled to take place at Pechanga Arena in San Diego, California on June 16, but that was canceled and replaced by Stomping Grounds. The June 16 event in San Diego is now a house show. Dave Meltzer reported in the most recent edition of the Wrestling Observer Newsletter that the switch of dates and locations for the PPV was pretty much a done deal.

WWE's next show in Saudi Arabia is now scheduled for June 7, which would have meant Backlash would have taken place nine days after that show.

Tickets for Stomping Grounds will go on sale to the general public this Friday (May 3) at 10 a.m. Pacific time. The pre-sale will start this Wednesday (May 1) at 10 a.m. Pacific. The Tacoma Dome is advertising Roman Reigns vs. Randy Orton for the PPV, though whether that match will happen or not remains to be seen.

Everett, Washington is hosting the June 24 episode of Raw.

https://www.f4wonline.com/wwe-news/wwe-stomping-grounds-ppv-set-tacoma-washington-282651?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I thought the unnecessary line was in response to what I wrote. My apologies.

WWE defender was the wrong choice of words. Maybe more like somewhere in the middle. At least, that's the impression that I get.

Not a fan of current WWE direction and practices.  But I'm of the mindset that there's enough real provable shit they do that's horrible that people don't need to take EVERY thing they do and make logic leaps to make it sinister and detestable and that everything is done with malice.  There's a rampant "Boy who cried Wolf" syndrome, well, everywhere, but specifically on this board in regards to WWE that lessens the impact when they actually do something terrible (like, Blood Money).  The really horrible stuff they do get's buried because a lot of people scream that EVERYTHING they do is horrible.  

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gotcha. I'm glad we aired that out. I feel better about it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Butch Reed as a Sheamus comp, maybe?

Also struggling to think of a good one.  I thought of Ron Simmons, but he’s better than Ron. Thought of Windham, but he’s not as good as Barry. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What? You guys are nuts with your comparisons.

Maybe the Barbarian?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Fixed. Sorry @Zartan, I have this OCD over the two terms being used interchangeably when they're not the same. It's the funeral director in me.

It's okay, I'm sure Heidenrecih hates both

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

If Mad Dog Vachon had a baby with Test?

Edited by OctopusCinema
Hit enter too soon
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Kick of Fear vs the Brogue Kick? I don't know, I love Barb, but I don't think he's got the matches to compete with Sheamus. Also, Barbarian didn't exactly step up to the plate on his brief foray into the main event, whereas Sheamus's run as babyface ace on Smackdown in 2012 was really good. The run from the 2/3 falls Bryan match to the really great Big Show series provided some very good matches, despite being saddled with Ziggler and a heatless Del Rio.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How about Sheamus is just Sheamus? 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally, I thought the good Sheamus comparison would be "Scott Hall if you took away the personal problems, but also took away the charisma."

Really good power worker, had a lot of good moments...always one of the better guys, but never QUITE the best guy in the company.

Heck, their career trajectories may be the exact opposite as well:

Scott Hall was never the World Champion, possibly for good reasons- but because Hall was never the World Champion, his career has an aura around it that makes him seem like "one of the greatest to never win the big one".

Sheamus was the World Champion many times, but all of his big title reigns had a big knock surrounding them (the "HHH's workout buddy", the "18 seconds!",  the "League of Nations" stuff) , that eventually Sheamus is almost considered worse because he was World Champion than he would be if he never won the big one. 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WWE_Slideshow_2019-05e98deb1b.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I was also thinking Scott Hall minus the personal problems and charisma, then looked up and saw @SorceressKnight's post.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

lol the "Being Roman Reigns" Championship is the most important one.

Only kinda joking. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bossman was a much better promo than Sheamus that's for sure.  In-ring Sheamus was really good until about a couple years ago.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, SorceressKnight said:

Personally, I thought the good Sheamus comparison would be "Scott Hall if you took away the personal problems, but also took away the charisma."

Really good power worker, had a lot of good moments...always one of the better guys, but never QUITE the best guy in the company.

Heck, their career trajectories may be the exact opposite as well:

Scott Hall was never the World Champion, possibly for good reasons- but because Hall was never the World Champion, his career has an aura around it that makes him seem like "one of the greatest to never win the big one".

Sheamus was the World Champion many times, but all of his big title reigns had a big knock surrounding them (the "HHH's workout buddy", the "18 seconds!",  the "League of Nations" stuff) , that eventually Sheamus is almost considered worse because he was World Champion than he would be if he never won the big one. 

Good choice... Didn’t think of it since Hall’s “Prime” is when he stopped juicing, and shrunk down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

“NO SHOWING YOUR TEETH WHEN YOU SMILE, PAL”

Only Stephanie is allowed to show teeth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

“NO SHOWING YOUR TEETH WHEN YOU SMILE, PAL”

Woah. Thats, uh, weird. I didn't even notice it until you pointed it out.

Other things I noticed...None of the babyfaces are really smiling, which is weird, since Becky, Kofi, and Seth are now stuck in Smiling Babyface Champion territory.

Charlotte looks like she's waiting for direction or was caught off guard.

Braun is in the back and farted, but no one knows it yet but him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

It's okay, I'm sure Heidenrecih hates both

Yet, he liked raping Michael Cole, so who knows what was going on in his head. 

What was missing from Heidenrape was Heidenreich telling Cole he just loves to have fun.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Stomping Grounds? 

When I think of stomping grounds, I think of the phrase “Returning to my/our old stomping grounds”. 

Rey Mysterio main eventing, or is this “a phrase we copyrighted for a PPV, so dammit we need to use it, pal”?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's the " Kirby mad on USA box art"effect.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Stomping Grounds? 

When I think of stomping grounds, I think of the phrase “Returning to my/our old stomping grounds”. 

Rey Mysterio main eventing, or is this “a phrase we copyrighted for a PPV, so dammit we need to use it, pal”?

Stomping Grounds would be a perfect ppv name from MSG.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Stomping Grounds would be a perfect ppv name from MSG.

This is a great idea that literally no one from WWE even thought about. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Craig H said:

lol the "Being Roman Reigns" Championship is the most important one.

Only kinda joking. 

Hey, man, just because Roman Reigns is front and center over the woman who beat Ronda Rousey at WrestleMania and the two red-hot World champions on both brands doesn't mean he's going to be the focus of the shows and be challenging for the Smackdown title anytime soon! No sir, not anytime soon!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Casey said:

Hey, man, just because Roman Reigns is front and center over the woman who beat Ronda Rousey at WrestleMania and the two red-hot World champions on both brands doesn't mean he's going to be the focus of the shows and be challenging for the Smackdown title anytime soon! No sir, not anytime soon!

To be fair, you could put a piece of shit in front of Becky, Kofi, and Seth and it wouldn't matter because of how badly damaged all of these wrestlers are. No one draws an audience, or keeps one anyway, so it doesn't really matter if Roman is front and center.

Jesus, that's a really cynical view 😕 I probably shouldn't do that.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...