DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2019 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Ric Flair and Ricky Steamboat on their classic 1989 trilogy:

https://www.wwe.com/amp/classics/wcw/ric-flair-ricky-steamboat-trilogy-interview

Which order do you have them?

Mine:

1. Clash of the Champions VI. *****. 

2. Chi-Town Rumble.  *****. 

3. WrestleWar. *****. 

Always felt the 2 out of 3 falls match at Clash of the Champions VI is the best of them.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

Catching up..   I think that was Ambrose best promo tonight from his entire time in WWE.   Also,  Bayley and Ember over huge tonight I think the Bayley boo birds are contained to smarky cities.  Also,  I love the announcers being right on top of the ring. 

Edited by Niners Fan in CT

5 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Also,  Bayley and Ember over huge tonight I think the Bayley boo birds are contained to smarky cities. 

I think the people who boo Bayley for being a kid's wrestler are the same ones who booed Cena for being a kid's wrestler. As opposed to the ones who booed him because they were too damn cool to cheer the hero.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, AxB said:

I think the people who boo Bayley for being a kid's wrestler are the same ones who booed Cena for being a kid's wrestler. As opposed to the ones who booed him because they were too damn cool to cheer the hero.

Aren't those things kind of one and the same, though?

If you're booing someone for being a kids' wrestler, that's kind  of another part of "you're booing them because you're just too cool to cheer the hero because that might mean you're one of...THOSE...wrestling fans" (not to be confused with one of THOSE wrestling fans who openly cheer the heels and boo the faces because think it's 2002 and still think the Heel Section in TNA was a great concept.)

Well, all wrestling fans are naturally defensive because of the non-fan condescension you inherently encounter. But then add that to being at a WWE show, which is basically a children's wrestling promotion and always has been (the Attitude Era was aimed at 13 year olds, rather than the 8 year olds WWE usually targets), and the fact that it's a televised show where people might see you... the desire to make a show of separating yourself, to make a display of not being a child brained moron, it makes sense.

Not as much sense as not going to the show in the first place, supporting local indies instead or something, but I think a lot of WWE fans are institutionalised at this point.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, SorceressKnight said:

Aren't those things kind of one and the same, though?

If you're booing someone for being a kids' wrestler, that's kind  of another part of "you're booing them because you're just too cool to cheer the hero because that might mean you're one of...THOSE...wrestling fans" (not to be confused with one of THOSE wrestling fans who openly cheer the heels and boo the faces because think it's 2002 and still think the Heel Section in TNA was a great concept.)

As a Lucha watcher, don’t see the problem of a rude/heel section. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

As a Lucha watcher, don’t see the problem of a rude/heel section. 

Well, being fair. There's a world of difference between the two.

Lucha libre rudo section: "We cheer the rudos, but we still buy into the show as we see it- we just treat the rudos as the heroes and the tecnicos as the villains."  

TNA Heel Section: "We're smarks and we won't let you FORGET that we're smarks. We ostensibly claim to cheer the heels, but only to show you how fucking special and cool and smarky we are and to use this as our platform to get ourselves over and make ourselves the show."

One of the highlights from ROH vs. CZW in 2006 were separate sections for ROH and CZW fans. A memorable rivalry. The Cage of Death match between the two promotions was fucking perfect. 

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 4

50 minutes ago, joseph2112 said:

The average age of a Raw viewer is like 40 something, IIRC.

The audience you aim for, and the audience you get can be two very different things. And presumably a decent number of those 40 somethings are watching with their children.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, The Natural said:

One of the highlights from ROH vs. CZW in 2006 were separate sections for ROH and CZW fans. A memorable rivalry. The Cage of Death match between the two promotions was fucking perfect. 

It was awesome being there for it. CZW Chris Hero was such a heat magnet. The Pennsylvania National Guard Armory exploded when Homicide's music hit.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, SorceressKnight said:

Well, being fair. There's a world of difference between the two.

Lucha libre rudo section: "We cheer the rudos, but we still buy into the show as we see it- we just treat the rudos as the heroes and the tecnicos as the villains."  

TNA Heel Section: "We're smarks and we won't let you FORGET that we're smarks. We ostensibly claim to cheer the heels, but only to show you how fucking special and cool and smarky we are and to use this as our platform to get ourselves over and make ourselves the show."

I should have said “in theory.” ? 

smarks ruin everything. 

• Like 3

The biggest thing I remember from the CZW vs ROH feud was Naylor's enthusiasm with describing Super Dragon hitting a shoot sunset flip on a fan and then all of us debating afterwards of it was an actual shoot, why a sunset flip if it was a shoot, and then we all kinda settled on Super Dragon just being a cock.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, AxB said:

There was nothing wrong with Cena being a "kids wrestler". The only problem I had with him was he was booked the same exact way Hogan was booked in the 80's which is all Vince really knows how to do for his superfaces. Have a new big bad come in for a feud, Cena eventually would slay the dragon. Rinse and repeat. It wasn't until Roman became Vince's guy that Cena suddenly became awesome for everyone.

• Like 1

It recently occurred to me that as of G1 Supercard, I've now seen the following World heavyweight titles change hands live. What you got?

• WWF
  • WCW
  • ECW
  • NWA
  • ROH
  • IWGP

8 minutes ago, Pete said:

It recently occurred to me that as of G1 Supercard, I've now seen the following World heavyweight titles change hands live. What you got?

• WWF
  • WCW
  • ECW
  • NWA
  • ROH
  • IWGP

I got all those minus the WCW.  I got a couple Indy Primary titles live too, but nothing I would put near National level, let alone world.

1 hour ago, Pete said:

• WWF
  • WCW
  • ECW
  • NWA
  • ROH
  • IWGP

Saw Flair beat Sting in 91 for the NWA title at the Meadowlands. 

Diesel beat Backlund at MSG for the WWF Title in 94

Taven win the ROH Title and Okada win the IWGP Title at MSG. 

Only ones I never saw in person were ECW or WCW.