DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2019 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Christ, wrestlers are dropping like flies. Looks like Daniel Bryan is injured and then I saw something about how Drew and Rey are both injured. So let's see, AJ, DB, Rey, Drew, Tanahashi, and Ronda are all injured. I'm sure there's more that I'm forgetting.

I don't think Superstar has been paying very much attentions to the business recently. Apparently Superstar Billy Graham was super nice to David Starr when Tommy Dreamer introduced them though (Dreamer did tell Graham that Starr got into the business because of Starr's fandom of Graham, which most likely endeared Starr to Graham*).

I'm not convinced that should Vince pass away or retire, and Steph and H get full control of the company, it will immediately (or even eventually) become a higher budget version of NXT. Firstly I don't think the casual audience would necessarily embrace the style, secondly I don't think the writers would know how to book a matches not stories show (yeah, fire the writers, I know), and plus, there's the 'what works in a small regional stage might not work on a huge multinational one' factor. Also, if H is such a fan of super indie technical hybrid style, why did he never try to wrestle that way himself? Why did he always squash people who did?

* This pronoun-free sentence is officially WWE approved.

19 minutes ago, Morganti said:

There was some dumb ass hot take by Superstar that Kofi needed to get on the juice and put on 50lbs to get a better look.  

Is it wrong that when I first read the story I was “happy” that Graham was bitching about the lack of roids and not race?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Just now, Craig H said:

Christ, wrestlers are dropping like flies. Looks like Daniel Bryan is injured and then I saw something about how Drew and Rey are both injured. So let's see, AJ, DB, Rey, Drew, Tanahashi, and Ronda are all injured. I'm sure there's more that I'm forgetting.

Daniel Bryan's injured?

Brie was posting happy pics of them backstage right after the match... so if he is hurt, it must not be too bad. I think Dave's just speculating based on the fact that DB went home after Mania. They probably just gave him an extra day off.

He also said Drew wasn't hurt, they just had him walk out to distance him from the loss.

Edited by steve

Drew isn’t hurt - people just assumed that because he vanished on Tuesday 

Meltzer talked about it this morning- it’s because of bizarro WWE logic they didn’t want Drew anywhere near the loss so he was told to flee before Cesaro lost

Why they put him in the match in the first place is beyond me

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, RIPPA said:

Drew isn’t hurt - people just assumed that because he vanished on Tuesday 

Meltzer talked about it this morning- it’s because of bizarro WWE logic they didn’t want Drew anywhere near the loss so he was told to flee before Cesaro lost

Why they put him in the match in the first place is beyond me

Ah ok. Usually when I listen to WOR or WOL in the morning I'm also reading other work related stuff and I wind up tuning out whatever Dave or Bryan or not-Bryan are rambling on about.

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

Are you going off of Evan's tweet saying "I quit" as him refuting the story because you would be wrong. X-Pac already talked about the Hall of Fame show and when asked about DX repeatedly mentioning Vince's name, X-Pac was like, "oooof, yeah..." and went on to talk about how they were basically walking on eggshells because Vince got super hot about Bret's speech and then fired him. So the DX guys were like, "I don't want to get in trouble" and had HBK go ask Vince if it would be ok if they used Vince's name and Vince was like, "yeah...OK."

At best, this is Evans saying "you can't fire me, I quit" or he quit because Vince was acting like a fucking lunatic.

No one can defend this Vince bullshit. You can go and fuck with someone's life all because Vince was referenced in Bret's speech and then be like, "yeah, ok" when HBK asks you if they can use your name in their speech.

Vince is a crazy asshole and WWE will be better off when he's dead.

Jesus, I guess we can't dial down the rhetoric.

You don't know what happened backstage. You heard X-Pac's take on what he heard happened backstage. Evans's tweet doesn't have subtext that only you can understand. It contradicts the story given. You don't know the whole story (none of us do), and are WAY too worked up about it.

Guest Edwin
34 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Keith Lee.

So MASKED MUTILATOR , a long lost wrestling themed slasher movie from 1994, has been found and is about to get a Blu Ray release:

The trailer is NSFW.  Don't blame me if you get fired for buttcheeks and Brick Bronsky.

• Like 2

Per Pro Wrestling Sheet

Pro Wrestling Sheet has confirmed Brian James aka Road Dogg will no longer be the head writer of SmackDown, but he’s not leaving the company. 

Sources tell us it was a mutual decision to change Brian’s position with the impending move to Fox on the horizon, and not necessarily him “stepping down.” We’re told WWE wants to keep his position flexible at this time and use him as a utility player, so they can see where he’d fit best going forward.

One source said it’s possible James could fill the role once held by Arn Anderson at live events, or maybe even lend his pipes to the commentary desk. Our sources made it clear, however, that this wasn’t a contentious decision and all parties involved thought it was best.

PWInsider first reported James would no longer be head writer of SmackDown.

No word at this time on who Road Dogg’s replacement will be. 

And since it was a point of contention earlier in the thread

By Mike Johnson on 2019-04-11 11:07:00
As noted earlier today on PWInsider.com, WWE Creative Team member Robert Evans departed World Wrestling Entertainment the night of the WWE Hall of Fame.

While the story making the rounds among those in the company over the past 48 hours is that Evans was let go after Vince McMahon's name was mentioned during a Hall of Fame speech Evans was involved in producing, it was actually a "You can't fire me, I quit" scenario.

When it became obvious the company was going to terminate Evans for the issue, he instead quit before being terminated backstage at the WWE Hall of Fame, so his statement this morning is factually correct

• Like 2

I wonder where Archibald Peck ends up. Jimmy Jacobs certainly helped improve Impact. I could see Evans going there, or of course AEW. 

It won't be the one company that probably needs him the most, ROH. They're in great hands with Delirious and Bully Ray.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Morganti said:

There was some dumb ass hot take by Superstar that Kofi needed to get on the juice and put on 50lbs to get a better look.  

because that worked out so well for Graham in the end

• Like 1

Not defending the rule or the reaction but this also breaks down to "here'a rule to follow." *ignores it* *gets fired.*

Pretty much life. It's a dumb rule but apparently an important one. 

There seems to be this reflexive thing where no WWE firing is ever justified. Vince is famously touchy about being thanked because, apparently, he assumes people will assume the night is all about getting his ego stroked. If Evans decided to ignore that or think that it was a rule that wasn't serious, kind of on him. 

• Like 1

At the same time, Vince preaches shit like grabbing for the brass ring and how it's better to ask for forgiveness than permission. Not to mention, at the same time, DX is going on mentioning Vince over and over and over again even making fun of Evans getting fired.

You're told to not be afraid of approaching Vince and then you're told never to bother Vince when he's eating, don't bother Vince when he's doing this or that or the other thing, don't sneeze in front of Vince, don't yawn in front of Vince.

There are double standards on top of double standards and all of them are completely illogical.

Ultimately, if you get fired from WWE, just take it as a blessing and move on to the next thing and work for someone who isn't a psycho.

• Like 7