DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2019 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

29 minutes ago, Dewar said:

Did something amazing happen on Raw last week that turned Rollins into a red hot world champion?

Oh, I see we're still in denial about Rollins being one of the most over members of the roster. Got it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Casey said:

Oh, I see we're still in denial about Rollins being one of the most over members of the roster. Got it.

I swear this is one of those things that I only see here. Rollins is probably the most over babyface on the men's roster and the most over babyface champion on the Raw side in a long time. Since, what, Goldberg?!

• Like 1

See in early January, there was the AEW rally in Jacksonville, across the way from Smackdown? If Luke Harper had gone and stood in the crowd for that, he'd be a free agent now. But instead, he tried to leave the right way.

Independent Contractors Yeah?

4 hours ago, AxB said:

See in early January, there was the AEW rally in Jacksonville, across the way from Smackdown? If Luke Harper had gone and stood in the crowd for that, he'd be a free agent now. But instead, he tried to leave the right way.

Independent Contractors Yeah?

Yeah, Yeah, Yeah

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

WWE Hall of Famer turned AEW employee Jim Ross mentioned in an interview that WWE had re-signed an undercard performer who isn't even on television to a $500,000 deal. In digging around to find out who the talent was, Fightful learned that another offer was made -- but not yet accepted -- to another act.

Fightful Select sources informed us that Scott Dawson and Dash Wilder of the Revival were offered five year, $500,000 per year deals each in which weren't accepted, at least as of yet. The duo recently dropped the WWE Raw Tag Team Championships to Zack Ryder and Curt Hawkins after a brief run as champions.

Fightful reported back in January that Dawson and Wilder expressed discontent about their position within WWE, and asked for their releases. We were told that the company asked them to ride things out and see where they stood in the weeks that followed. A tag team title reign and WrestleMania appearance later, and things look like they remain the same.

WWE has experienced some of the heaviest roster and employee turnover ever in recent months. The writing team has lost Kazeem Famuyide, Dave Schilling, RD Evans and Road Dogg (at least temporarily) for various reasons. Luke Harper, Tye Dillinger, Mike Kanellis & Maria, Sasha Banks, Dean Ambrose, Hideo Itami, and numerous others have expressed frustration, asked or have been granted their releases.

It's worth noting that the situation could always change, but as of Monday afternoon, it didn't look like Revival had plans to accept the deal. The team was set for a meeting with the company Monday afternoon.

On 4/28/2019 at 7:23 AM, MORELOCK said:

Because Vince is paranoid? AEW? They aren't? Who knows, but it isn't because they're lacking revenue streams. I think you're still just digging your heels in about the fact that you are helping the company by watching their YouTube videos.

The issue is not revenue streams. Also I am sure that percentage of a penny from watching a Youtube video  is keeping them alive. 

So since you are as knowledgeable about business as you are wrestling, I am going to help you again. 

If you run a business, you do not wait until you are bleeding money to worry. You try to put fires out before they start. Losing TV viewers when you are primarily a TV company is a reason to worry. Do you understand that? I really hope WWE is not wasting money getting you to defend them. 

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

I still can't believe they haven't remade those.

They had to have lost the recipe or something.  I don't give a shit if they're WWE superstars on them or not - in fact, when they brought them back as Rugrats ice cream bars around 2000-2001 I bought so many boxes of them.  They were the exact same bars but with Tommy Pickles and Reptar and shit instead of Brutus Beefcake.  They had one up on the WWF bars because you could buy them in four packs at the grocery store - I only ever saw them in single packs in California, and hardly ever.  My ice cream man never carried those ones.  Sometimes if you were lucky 7-11 would get them, but I almost only ever had them at actual matches.  I saw a kid get brained by one at Wrestlemania 7 it was awesome.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Honestly, if the number on the table is 500k a year, this goes further to "Stupidity over everything".

If you have a million dollar-plus contract on the table, and you're willing to ignore that in order to get the chance to prance around with a pretty belt, then you are the biggest mark on the planet. 

Even considering money isn't important to everyone- if someone at your workplace was offered a big raise, and they said "I don't want the raise- but in exchange, you HAVE TO make me the Employee of the Month this month so my picture's on the wall and I can show it to my family", then everyone would have to ask "what a pathetic loser." 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, SorceressKnight said:

If you have a million dollar-plus contract on the table, and you're willing to ignore that in order to get the chance to prance around with a pretty belt, then you are the biggest mark on the planet. 

There is at least one other possibility: that they place a lot of value on being able to perform at a high level and be appreciated for it.

I guess if we define a mark as someone who takes wrestling seriously, then that would make them marks. But it doesn't seem that stupid to me, considering there are other opportunities to make good money in wrestling out there.

• Like 2

It could make your name more valuable in the long run. Anybody who says they do not want to be champion is full of shit. No kid grew up watching and thought "Boy I want to be like Duane Gill when I grow up."

Guys like Duane are important to wrestling. Without jobbers we don't have champions, but we want to be champions and then we settle.

Nobody watches T2 and wants to be the biker Arnold beat up and stripped. You want to be Arnold or Robert Patrick. 

Look at sports, the Buffalo Bills for a few years were one of the greatest teams ever. They went to the Super Bowl four times vs three teams. But because they never won the big one, they were treated like losers. 

So good on the Revival and even Sasha Banks for wanting to be winners. They might regret the money in a few years, but we are not guaranteed our next breath, live for now. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, MapRef41N93W said:

There is at least one other possibility: that they place a lot of value on being able to perform at a high level and be appreciated for it.

I guess if we define a mark as someone who takes wrestling seriously, then that would make them marks. But it doesn't seem that stupid to me, considering there are other opportunities to make good money in wrestling out there.

That's the problem. You can perform at a high level and be appreciated for it without being in the title picture.

Ultimately, that's the difference. If you take wrestling seriously, you take your job seriously. If you would rather the writers script it so you're a champion than tangibly be a millionaire, you're a mark. 

Since @Victator went through, the same thing is there.

Yes, people wanted to be Hogan and not Duane Gill, or the biker Arnold Schwarzenegger beat up at T2. 

But Hogan and Schwarzenegger also MADE FAR MORE MONEY than Duane Gill or the biker as well.

That's the point. If you're so dedicated to having an honor in a fake fight that you'll leave money on the table just because you want to be scripted to have a fake honor on a TV show, then you're an idiot. (I'd think someone focusing on the business side of why WWE sucks is worse.) 

Edited by SorceressKnight

2 minutes ago, SorceressKnight said:

That's the problem. You can perform at a high level and be appreciated for it without being in the title picture.

Ultimately, that's the difference. If you take wrestling seriously, you take your job seriously. If you would rather the writers script it so you're a champion than tangibly be a millionaire, you're a mark. 

If you are in the title picture,  you make more money.  That's what is lost on some people when debating this topic.  People like Alvarez can talk about "the titles are fake! who cares!" it's a stupid ass argument to make because if you are at the top of the card you are making MORE money...   so while simpletons may think it's all about the titles and "wins"..  maybe it's not,  maybe it's about being in a higher position where you will make more on houses and on merch than you will when you are barely featured or stuck in the midcard. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, SorceressKnight said:

If you would rather the writers script it so you're a champion than tangibly be a millionaire, you're a mark. 

If their only grievance with WWE is that they don't get to be tag team champions often enough or for long enough, then sure, that seems silly. But the story wasn't specific about what their problem is--it only suggested that whatever it is, it persisted even after being made champions.

I would bet that it has less to do with the tag titles specifically and more to do with wanting to be given positions on the show commensurate with their abilities. For a tag team as good as theirs, that probably would involve the tag titles, but they could also have the tag titles and still be unsatisfied. And that does seem to be what happened. But admittedly I am speculating.