DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2019 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Full disclosure: I was pretty drunk last night. I thought they had similar faces but I see now that their eyes are very different. Sheamus's eyes squint a tad more and Big Boss Man's eyes seem to be fairly more circular.

• Like 1

In between ROH/NWA stealth booking the NXT washout/domestic abuser, Impact putting Elgin in a main event feud for the strap, and my continued embargo on all things WWE I’m starting to wonder if this shit is for me anymore.

Basically all American wrestling is bad at this point.

36 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

This doesn't necessarily help the case but Bryan Alvarez is a big "Sheamus is sloppy and always hurts people" believer too.

I’m not going to scour through newsletters, but there was a period of time where wrestlers were walking out of matches with Sheamus with an injury because he worked too snug. Like how wrestlers were walking out of matches with Rollins with an injury for a while. It’s just something I specifically remember that sort of kept pushing Sheamus’s singles career further down the card for a bit. Besides that Sheamus, and Big Bubba are completely different wrestlers. They don’t have similar   physiques, promos, gimmicks, and in ring style. The only thing you can compare is The Great White’s finisher, and that time The Guardian Angel tried to asphyxiate Mr. JL with a bicycle.

I can’t really think of anybody that Sheamus reminds me of from the past. Maybe Nikita? But Nikita was never dull. Barbarian? But Sheamus is a wayyyyy better worker than him. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

Stan Hansen nearly cost Vader his eye. Owen Hart broke Steve Austin's neck. Austin broke Masa Chono's neck. Chris Benoit broke Sabu's neck. Dean Malenko and 2 Cold Scorpio broke Taz's neck. Y'all gonna try and tell me that they're all bad workers like Sheamus?

• Like 6

At the risk of looking like a hypocrite, let me put it out there: I was anti-Sheamus for quite some time, but it was never about his ring work. He just got stuck doing things that either didn't play to his strengths, or just personally didn't interest me. That title run and the League of Nations thing was just so crappy I honestly just needed a little bit of a break. The Bar has been nothing short of awesome, however, and I'll be bummed when he hangs it up.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

Stan Hansen nearly cost Vader his eye. Owen Hart broke Steve Austin's neck. Austin broke Masa Chono's neck. Chris Benoit broke Sabu's neck. Dean Malenko and 2 Cold Scorpio broke Taz's neck. Y'all gonna try and tell me that they're all bad workers like Sheamus?

I’m not calling Sheamus a bad worker. I’m just saying Boss Man’s whole thing was that he was a safe big dude to work with, and great at selling/bumping. I mean that’s why he went from a jobber, to a guy who main evented with Dusty from town to town before Vince signed him. Sheamus on the other hand can have good matches on the average, is a good workout buddy, and can be super snug. They don’t compare at all.

Bad workers are people like the Warlord, or Wrath. Guys who don’t bring anything to the table except a great look. Because you can’t base an entire career out of a look. Sheamus definitely does bring something, and shouldn’t be considered a bad worker. He’s just been miscast from the start, and the WWE has been bad at hiding his weaknesses, just like Baron Corbin. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

31 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

At the risk of looking like a hypocrite, let me put it out there: I was anti-Sheamus for quite some time, but it was never about his ring work. He just got stuck doing things that either didn't play to his strengths, or just personally didn't interest me. That title run and the League of Nations thing was just so crappy I honestly just needed a little bit of a break. The Bar has been nothing short of awesome, however, and I'll be bummed when he hangs it up.

I think Sheamus was a perfect tag guy. In the era before a dozen titles, he would have be fine as an IC champion that occasionally got opportunities at the World title, but never won. Unfortunately, he came along in the era of too main titles where a number of guys that shouldn't have had a reign did. I don't think he was ever over enough as a heel or a face to justify the WWE or big gold belt reign. 

For the snarky poster that said Sheamus would be loved for doing flips and working PWG, he would have been a bad fit for a promotion like PWG with his style. If others love him, that's your choice. I find his wrestling to be solid, albeit on the boring side and his character to very boring and stale beyond belief.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 2

To follow up regarding the schedule changes at the beginning of June

We don't have details as to when or where the next NXT Takeover show will be, past that the 6/8 show in San Jose is off because of the Saudi Arabia show the day before. Several ideas have been thrown out but nothing is confirmed, but the decision has to be made by Wednesday, which is the date of the NXT tapings at Full Sail University.

That was the blurb in the WON update

Then on the radio show - Dave said the Takeover will not be in San Jose

2 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I can’t really think of anybody that Sheamus reminds me of from the past. Maybe Nikita? But Nikita was never dull. Barbarian? But Sheamus is a wayyyyy better worker than him. 

When Sheanus started, he reminded me a lot of Hernandez from LAX (OG'z). Because he copied all of his moves, mostly.

32 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I think Sheamus was a perfect tag guy. In the era before a dozen titles, he would have be fine as an IC champion that occasionally got opportunities at the World title, but never won. Unfortunately, he came along in the era of too main titles where a number of guys that shouldn't have had a reign did. I don't think he was ever over enough as a heel or a face to justify the WWE or big gold belt reign. 

For the snarky poster that said Sheamus would be loved for doing flips and working PWG, he would have been a bad fit for a promotion like PWG with his style. If others love him, that's your choice. I find his wrestling to be solid, albeit on the boring side and his character to very boring and stale beyond belief.

Agree about him as a perfect tag guy, but to be fair, at the time, the big gold belt was pretty much at the level where we would probably traditionally have the IC. Wasn't watching as heavy during his first WWE title reign, but I kinda remember people liked his WWECW stuff before he got saddled with the "HHH workout buddy" criticism-- but again, I barely saw any of it so I might be talking nonsense

1 hour ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Agree about him as a perfect tag guy, but to be fair, at the time, the big gold belt was pretty much at the level where we would probably traditionally have the IC. Wasn't watching as heavy during his first WWE title reign, but I kinda remember people liked his WWECW stuff before he got saddled with the "HHH workout buddy" criticism-- but again, I barely saw any of it so I might be talking nonsense

I barely saw his WWECW stuff. That period was a real low point in my WWE viewing. I was only really watching for CM Punk. I started to tune back into WWE with Bryan Danielson's signing, The Shield, Claudio Castagnoli's signing, and the Wyatt's.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

31 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Haven’t watched it in a long time, but I remember him just wrestling Goldust in the same good match every single week. Which was an issue I had with that program. Great stuff by the wrestlers the first couple of weeks, but what’s the  incentive to watch Paul Birchhill Vs The Hurricane 5?

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Super Ape said:

In between ROH/NWA stealth booking the NXT washout/domestic abuser, Impact putting Elgin in a main event feud for the strap, and my continued embargo on all things WWE I’m starting to wonder if this shit is for me anymore.

Basically all American wrestling is bad at this point.

I’m out of the loop. Who’s the “NXT washout/domestic abuser”?

1 minute ago, Log said:

I’m out of the loop. Who’s the “NXT washout/domestic abuser”?

In this specific case - Ape I believe is talking about Bram

Though the phrase you quote also applies to Sami Callihan

17 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

In this specific case - Ape I believe is talking about Bram

Though the phrase you quote also applies to Sami Callihan

Can you be considered a washout when you ask for your release and basically work for every notable indy, and most likely make more money than you were in nxt? Yes, I'm including Impact in the indy grouping. That's pretty much what they are right now, albeit one that has been putting on consistently good shows. I definitely don't think of Juice Robinson an nxt washout. He knew he was capable of more than what he was being given, so he bet on himself, asked for his release, and won.

Bull Dempsey is someone I'd consider a washout. Bram as well.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

This is really fucking douchey on my part but it is the easiest way to respond

From Merriam Webster

one that fails to measure up : FAILURE: such as
a : one who fails in a course of training or study
b : an unsuccessful enterprise or undertaking

Just because they succeeded later doesn't erase that they "washed out" of NXT

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

This is really fucking douchey on my part but it is the easiest way to respond

From Merriam Webster

Just because they succeeded later doesn't erase that they "washed out" of NXT

If I leave a job for a better paying job with more room for growth, that doesn't make me a washout. It means I had a better opportunity and took it. The WWE isn't the end all be all of professional wrestling. This isn't 2002 anymore.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

3 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

We'll just have to agree to disagree. If I leave a job for a better paying job with more room for growth, that doesn't make me a washout. It means I had a better opportunity and took it.

Yes, but then could you add more(unnecessary) slights to your narrative?

Just saw that gif of Fenix landing on his head.

Can wrestlers PLEASE stop using the fucking Spanish Fly? I've seen this move fucked up in so many different ways, this being the newest. I watched it over and over to see if Fenix's foot catches the ladder or rope and he clears both so how wasn't able to complete a rotation is beyond me. It really looks like he hit and invisible wall in midair.

But anyway, I've seen so many near misses with this move that I just don't want to see it ever again. It also, to me anyway, makes about as much sense as a Canadian destroyer. It's actually even more implausible than a Canadian Destroyer.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

That's what Juice, Callihan, and Omega did. How is that unncessary to my point? You're going defend WWE at every turn anyway, so it doesn't even really matter what I say. 

Reading comprehension dude, I was agreeing with you and tossing the more "unnecessary" arguments to Ape's narrative against Bram in 3 different threads.  

And when the fuck did *I* become a WWE defender?

Edited by Raziel

8 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Reading comprehension dude, I was agreeing with you and tossing the more "unnecessary" arguments to Ape's narrative against Bram in 3 different threads.  

And when the fuck did *I* become a WWE defender?

I thought the unnecessary line was in response to what I wrote. My apologies.

WWE defender was the wrong choice of words. Maybe more like somewhere in the middle. At least, that's the impression that I get.