DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2019 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

9 hours ago, SorceressKnight said:

The worst problem with a lot of these things is that WWE may have bad shows and make fans angry, but ultimately at the same time, WWE has cracked a cheat code in the modern-day TV viewing.

WWE's big value for Fox and USA isn't just "they made them believe they're live sports", but more specifically, WWE is the only live sporting event that people will still watch on DVR after the fact. Any other sports event- you don't watch it live, you pretty much are going to be spoiled for the result- but with WWE, their +3, +5, and +7 are still really good from "okay, now I can watch them" viewers.

Even with bad shows, the Nielsen social media ranking cracked the code for WWE, because the social media ratings don't care if you like or hate something, just you TALK about it...and wrestling fans will keep talking about WWE. Even if they hate it, even if they stopped watching, people will still talk about it- and the ratings do better.

That’s why I find it hilarious that Vince for years has tried to get the show further, and further away from the “fake sports” show vibe, and into the “We are a live drama, and deserve to nominated for an Emmy” route. 

Fans get tired of the purely scripted season driven dramas. As shown what happened with Lucha Underground. The right balance between both is always the right way. It’s easier to sucker them in with a product that blurs the line. Though, I’ve been able snap out of that appointment viewing habit by WWE’s more dramatic TV push. I think a mix of watching old episodes of Nitro, behind the scenes issues, plus kayfabe breaking YouTube videos, and charity segments on RAW started killing my interest.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

12 hours ago, Victator said:

How does that translate to money beyond scamming the networks? Also WWE seems pretty worried right now?

The big ways to translate to money: The Nielsen ratings determine advertiser money as well.

WWE with high social media rankings not only is high on those ratings, but also says "go to this show and you'll get a younger, more technology-aware audience". That equals money, and neither the Nielsens or advertisers realize "I love WWE , best show ever!" and "WWE is terrible, I'm never watching again!" both count as "WWE- two votes." ...and when people who stopped watching STILL talk about WWE all the time, it's even better- WWE is so big in that they can succeed even if people stop watching because wrestling fans are obsessed, and really to quit WWE cold turkey is effectively to give up wrestling entirely. In all forms. Stop watching any wrestling, stop posting on message boards, possibly even throw all your wrestling friends by the wayside and start a new life.

In addition, even if the DVR form is there, WWE does serve a big purpose. Live television is big for networks because it's DVR-proof, but by and large, the problem with sporting events is that it's  so DVR-proof that it's worthless to watch if you don't watch it live. WWE plays both sides- it's live sporting events and DVR-proof, but it's also NOT DVR-proof and people will still gladly watch it later, even after the results are known.  It's something ONLY pro wrestling can give you. 

• Like 1

I’ll be honest with you guys, I’ve watched and been a cheerleader of Impact for years, and all that time I had to read how crap the stuffing over potatoes was, I enjoyed it almost every week, Beer Money, Joe etc, I loved Chikara at its pre-hiatus prime.

When Lucha Underground started I became  a diehard fan and even forgave Vampiro for his crimes against wrestling. 

Currently I love MLW (see the Random Indie Thread). I go out my way to watch GCW shows and (still) watch Impact every week.

There are so many alternatives that WWE should count its lucky stars that WM is an “event”.  Wrestling was here before Vince and will be here after Vince. Just find what you like and support it.

Fuck Vince (whole board cheers and lifts Necro onto their shoulders)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

NECRO DE-SERVES IT! *clap clap clapclapclap*

NECRO DE-SERVES IT! *clap clap clapclapclap*

Edited by Smelly McUgly
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, SorceressKnight said:

WWE is so big in that they can succeed even if people stop watching because wrestling fans are obsessed, and really to quit WWE cold turkey is effectively to give up wrestling entirely. In all forms.

This statement is the opposite of true.

It's like saying "If you don't like Harley Davidsons, you don't like Motorbikes". I'm sure Harley would love for people to think that, but let's face it, most people who really know their bikes think Harleys are a load of shit.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, MORELOCK said:

It doesn't have to. It's a billion dollars.

So why is WWE worried?

7 hours ago, SorceressKnight said:

it's even better- WWE is so big in that they can succeed even if people stop watching because wrestling fans are obsessed, and really to quit WWE cold turkey is effectively to give up wrestling entirely. In all forms. Stop watching any wrestling, stop posting on message boards, possibly even throw all your wrestling friends by the wayside and start a new life.

This makes no sense. There was a part in the novel First Blood, where Teasel panics and charges at Rambo. It made so little sense, Rambo had no idea how to defend against it. That is what this argument is. 

Maybe you meant that WWE owns so much old footage, that watching old material still helps WWE. But even then, I could be very content watching Memphis and Alabama. 

As pointed out above, there are more indy alternatives than anytime since 2001. 

2 hours ago, AxB said:

This statement is the opposite of true.

It's like saying "If you don't like Harley Davidsons, you don't like Motorbikes". I'm sure Harley would love for people to think that, but let's face it, most people who really know their bikes think Harleys are a load of shit.

Such a grey area. Does this mean Harley’s have great parts and mechanics it’s just the people in charge that don’t know what their doing? 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Zartan said:

Such a grey area. Does this mean Harley’s have great parts and mechanics it’s just the people in charge that don’t know what their doing? 

Harley gave way too much in his matches. You want to see him kicking people's asses and he just gives and gives and gives. 

Wait, I don't feel like we're talking about the same thing here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

15 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Harley gave way too much in his matches. You want to see him kicking people's asses and he just gives and gives and gives. 

Wait, I don't feel like we're talking about the same thing here.

Hey, want to get into guys who didn’t wrestle like the way they looked. Rick Rude  is #1 with a bullet. 

Looked like the toughest dude out of a military boot camp, but gave a shit ton to his opponents, and sold like his ass cheeks were on fire.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Hey, want to get into guys who didn’t wrestle like the way they looked. Rick Rude  is #1 with a bullet. 

Looked like the toughest dude out of a military boot camp, but gave a shit ton to his opponents, and sold like his ass cheeks were on fire.

6PQ9dYu.gif

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 6

8 hours ago, Zartan said:

Honestly, this ties into the reasoning for my claim.

Yes, there's a lot of good indy alternatives...but that's still the reasoning. 

No matter if you are an indy fan, the WWE is always going to be hanging over the shadows of the indies: They're the biggest name, with the most money and prestige, possible for a wrestler...and honestly, the amount of money and prestige is so different between WWE and pretty much any other that it goes from ""well, it's possible to trade a little bit of money and prestige for more artistic freedom or the chance of having a starring role in a company",  and goes straight to "...you're comparing a six-figure income to 40 bucks, a hot dog, and a handshake. If you REALLY love that indy star, you should root for them to sign with WWE, even if they inevitably render them a jobber"...and if that's the case and you do, it also becomes "...you'll be back. You'll ALWAYS be back."

9 hours ago, Victator said:

So why is WWE worried?

Because Vince is paranoid? AEW? They aren't? Who knows, but it isn't because they're lacking revenue streams. I think you're still just digging your heels in about the fact that you are helping the company by watching their YouTube videos.

11 hours ago, Victator said:

So why is WWE worried?

Because any company in any endeavor worries if they lose money quarter over quarter. And they lost a bunch of money last quarter. Their metrics also say that interest in their live products is down, which should concern anyone. Yes, they are getting money next quarter that will make everyone forget about all of this, but they wouldn't be in the position they are if they weren't concerned about the trends. 

• Like 2

Even with the "interest is down", there's a few big problems there: Ultimately, you're not going to get interest back up until you have a boom period...and WWE just lost their best chance to have one.  They wasted Ronda Rousey as the chance of a boom period. If there IS one way to determine a boom period, it tends to go:

1. Get all your shit together booking-wise.

2. Once you're SURE you have your shit together and you have a good top star, throw a celebrity into the mix so that non-fans will be willing to sample the product.

3. If you did it right, watch as those non-fans come for the celebrity and stick around for your top star.

WWE didn't 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SorceressKnight said:

This ... 

... and no one put a cap on the new "chosen one" getting said top star all up in her shoot fee-fees*.  However big a thing or not all that Twitter horseshit was, it contributed.

*Supposedly.  But shoot or fake, that whole thing was a debacle.

Edited by nate
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Hagan said:

Cody’s promo in the new Road to Double or Nothing is aces

It is... A little bit on the Shane Douglas “Shitting on the old generation” side, but better written, and a little heartfelt.

Edit:For those who haven’t seen it.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 4