DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2019 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

17 minutes ago, Victator said:

I know everybody LOVES fantasy booking, so here goes.

Start of the night Jim Ross says "If Ric Flair is not here by the end of the night, he will forfeit the World Championship to Lex Luger." Lex comes to the ring and sounds heelish and starts burying Flair as a coward and how he would have tore him apart. This brings out Barry Windham who defends Flair as his friend and a better man than Luger. Lex cheap shots Barry and they fight around the ring. Its announced if Flair does not appear, Luger will defend his World Title against Barry Windham. 

This would hopefully put the heat on Lex, who was turning heel anyway and get Barry over.

That would have been better than what we got.  Hell, Ross coming out and saying, "Ric has decided to not re-sign his contract. The title is vacant.  Because of these unusual circumstances, we've changed tonight's card and will feature an eight man tournament to determine your new WCW champion." 

I mean shit, it was a 12 match show.  An 8 man tourney with no double eliminations is only 7 matches.  Do that and keep the non-tourney guys for tag matches.  Sure, there'd be a lot of midcarders in the tournament but shit, maybe that would elevate guys and it's not like Mania 4 didn't have  midcard guys in the tournament. 

Anything would have been better than Luger (who had already had 1000 title shots and people didn't really care about) going in cold against unpushed tag wrestler Windham.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 1

You could do a strong tourney with everyone on the show. Have Sting and Nikita eliminate each other so Lex gets a bye. You can establish Barry with strong matches during the night. 

I think Lex was still over, but they screwed him so many times against Flair. The cage match ending in a DQ at Capital Combat was so much bullshit. If Lex could not lose and you are saving the belt for Sting, just don't book it.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Victator said:

The cage match ending in a DQ at Capital Combat was so much bullshit. If Lex could not lose and you are saving the belt for Sting, just don't book it.

Well, the problem was at the time that there was literally NOBODY else for Flair to defend against that would have been credible.  Spring 1990 there was so many people who left or were injured, I think the #2 face was Norman the Lunatic.  It was so bad they ended up bringing back Junkyard Dog and gave him a main event push.

• Thanks 1

"Stan" is a song from 2000.

19 years later, we are using it to describe extreme fandom, even though the song is about sociopathic fandom & a somewhat shallow dive into mental illness.

Goddamn millennials.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

it's not like Mania 4 didn't have  midcard guys in the tournament. 

Are you saying Butch Reed didn't have a realistic chance at walking out with the title?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Victator said:

I think Lex was still over, but they screwed him so many times against Flair. The cage match ending in a DQ at Capital Combat was so much bullshit. If Lex could not lose and you are saving the belt for Sting, just don't book it.

34 minutes ago, sydneybrown said:

Well, the problem was at the time that there was literally NOBODY else for Flair to defend against that would have been credible.  Spring 1990 there was so many people who left or were injured, I think the #2 face was Norman the Lunatic.  It was so bad they ended up bringing back Junkyard Dog and gave him a main event push.

All this.  People still treated Luger like a star but his time to be champion had long passed.  Shit, he'd been screwed out of the title due to a dumb blood stoppage (who the hell thought that would be a good finish?) in the same building in a PPV main event three years prior. That is when he should have had a title run.  1988.  Sting's injury forced more Flair/Luger matches with bad finishes to the point where they made Luger so played out and stale.

Edited by Technico Support

6 minutes ago, nate said:

19 years later, we are using it to describe extreme fandom, even though the song is about sociopathic fandom & a somewhat shallow dive into mental illness.

Goddamn millennials.

There's a fine line between extreme fandom and sociopathic fandom.

1 minute ago, Technico Support said:

Yes and yes.  People still treated Luger like a star but his time to be champion had long passed.  Shit, he'd been screwed out of the title due to a dumb blood stoppage (who the hell thought that would be a good finish?) in the same building in a PPV main event three years prior. That is when he should have had a title run.  1988.  Sting's injury forced more Flair/Luger matches with bad finishes to the point where they made Luger so played out and stale.

dusty_rhodes.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

30 minutes ago, nate said:

Goddamn millennials.

I only saw this shit start last year. First time in some stupid Becky Lynch tweet. Which is funny considering her fan base.

• Like 1

Maybe the reason Kevin Owens turned on Kofi & Woods so quickly was because they were worried people would hear his Canadian accent and think he wad saying "Nude, eh?"

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

All this.  People still treated Luger like a star but his time to be champion had long passed.  Shit, he'd been screwed out of the title due to a dumb blood stoppage (who the hell thought that would be a good finish?) in the same building in a PPV main event three years prior. That is when he should have had a title run.  1988.  Sting's injury forced more Flair/Luger matches with bad finishes to the point where they made Luger so played out and stale.

People would have bought Pillman as a challenger and Muta was still around. 

The blood stoppage looked worse because Lex had never bladed before. He was suppose to be drenched in blood, but only got a trickle. The finish did lead to a hot house show run with Lex vs Flair. He really should have won the title at Starrcade or had Flair cheat more. He bashed Lex's leg with a chair to give him an out for losing, but I don't think it was enough. 

So some more fantasy booking Starrcade 88. 

The card was not really set until fairly close to the show. 

Lex and Sting vs the Road Warriors was drawing well on the house shows.

Eddie Gilbert vs Barry Windham had happened a week before Starrcade and the fans believed in Eddie. It was the main event program leading up to Steamboat being Eddie's mystery opponent. 

Flair vs Bam Bam Bigelow was a new match and they were already sorta feuding. Bam Bam could take the loss.

Dusty could have replaced Nikita and teamed with Ivan Koloff vs the Russian Assassins.

54 minutes ago, nate said:

Goddamn millennials.

Hip-Hop heads been usin this term since right around the time the song came out tho, so it aint exactly new. Jay and Nas fans were callin each other Stans back in 2001 when "Takeover" and "Ether" dropped...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Phantom Lord said:

I think the WWE is the only company on earth that keeps people on the payroll just to probably spite them.

What? You want to go somewhere else and be productive? The hell with that. Sit at home and do nothing.

Considering how little they probably have to pay them to do nothing I'm not really surprised.  

1 minute ago, Tromatagon said:

Do they if they already hit their downside numbers?

Their downside number is spread over the life of the contract and counted seperately from the incentive bonuses, so they still get paid.  The other bonuses show up when met.  There's a zero chance WWE could get away with locking them in with no pay because they hit the magic number over the course and make them sit.

33 minutes ago, Phantom Lord said:

I think the WWE is the only company on earth that keeps people on the payroll just to probably spite them.

What? You want to go somewhere else and be productive? The hell with that. Sit at home and do nothing.

It seems even more insidious, now that you say that:

"Sit at home, and accumulate ring rust; you won't be in front of fans or wrestling competitively for a long time.  Then you'll go somewhere else missing that step or two you showed here, and then you'll see that HERE is the only place you were able to shine!"

• Like 2

Especially when you consider there's Raw, Smackdown, Main Event, Superstars, NXT, NXT:UK, Progress, two performance centres... Plenty of places to do something. Plenty of places to contribute somehow. But no, sit home... It's like WCW without the million dollar salaries.

53 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Many people were saying Luke "handled things the right way" which is hard to argue he was definitely professional and couldn't have been nicer about it but look where it got him. 

Except he didn't. Instead of actually talking to WWE first, he chose to make a post about wanting to leave. It doesn't matter if he was nice in said post. He told the world he was unhappy and wanted out before his actual employers. Not saying at all WWE is right to keep him (they aren't), but he didn't handle things the right way either.

• Like 2

Okay - I wanna tell this little story about who clearly are the two most hated people by WWE right now

So I play that stupid WWE Champions mobile game (if you watch the programming you probably have seen a commercial)

Well the just announced they were adding Authors of Pain to the game. Okay fine - the reason I am telling this story is for how they are getting added

They are replacing two people who are no longer with the WWE. Like they will get the same moves, bonuses, etc. as the old people. Basically just switching names and graphics. This is the first time they are ever doing that.

There are plenty of other people no longer with the fed who might not be the most favorite people of the fed (Stardust, Big Cass, Neville) but they remain just fine.

The two people getting replaced because no one was allowed to ever have them again: Enzo and Alberto del Rio

• Haha 3

15 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Okay - I wanna tell this little story about who clearly are the two most hated people by WWE right now

So I play that stupid WWE Champions mobile game (if you watch the programming you probably have seen a commercial)

Well the just announced they were adding Authors of Pain to the game. Okay fine - the reason I am telling this story is for how they are getting added

They are replacing two people who are no longer with the WWE. Like they will get the same moves, bonuses, etc. as the old people. Basically just switching names and graphics. This is the first time they are ever doing that.

There are plenty of other people no longer with the fed who might not be the most favorite people of the fed (Stardust, Big Cass, Neville) but they remain just fine.

The two people getting replaced because no one was allowed to ever have them again: Enzo and Alberto del Rio

I play Champions too! A guilty pleasure lol