DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2019 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

If I were a big league ballplayer, I think I'd use the Bullet Club theme or Marty Scurll's theme as my walk up song. Of course, I guess the best answer would be Kaze Ni Nare.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Ryan said:

Imperium isn't going to help namewise with the idiots who immediately think Walter's in the SS and a Nazi gimmick based on...being German and not knowing what kampf means, so assuming it's Hitler. First thing you get are results from that Radcliffe film about White Supremacists.

Walter is Austrian, but that does not really contradict your point (maybe it even helps). Maybe they should have gone with Holy Roman Empire, because that is the most fitting historical construct where all would be on the same team. Though I must say that always when I see Barthel teaming with Aichner I have to think of the phrase "von der Etsch bis an den Belt" ("from the Etsch (river rising in Souther Tyrol, where Aichner is from) to the Belt (straight in southern Denmark; Aichner is from northern Germany)" from the first stanza (which is nowadays identified with Nazi Germany) of the "Deutschlandlied" (approx. "Song of Germany") describing the claimed northern and southern boundaries of German speaking people).

• Thanks 1

So apparently Backlash has been cancelled (and I completely trust the source)

The Backlash pay-per-view WWE had scheduled for San Diego on June 16, 2019, has been canceled. The reason for the cancellation is due to the promotion’s next Saudi Arabia event being moved to June 7, 2019, and not wanting to have pay-per-view events nine days apart according to a source in WWE.

It was also mentioned to us that some people didn’t think the optics of having a pay-per-view called Backlash immediately following what is likely to be another controversial event in Saudi Arabia would be good.

The Backlash pay-per-view was never officially announced by WWE but it was listed on the promotion’s touring schedule, on court paperwork WWE filed, and San Diego’s Pechanga Arena had listed it on their event calendar with updated graphics. WWE also created a webpage for it at wwe.com/wwe-backlash-san-diego which now leads to an “access denied” message rather than a page not found message.

The Saudi Arabia event on June 7 has not been officially announced by WWE yet, but Dave Meltzer of the Wrestling Observer reports that The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar are both scheduled for it.

Originally WWE was scheduled to have Smackdown brand house show events the weekend of June 7-8 in Denver and Salt Lake City, but with the Saudi Arabia date change those events were pushed back a week to June 15 and 16 respectively.

Also scheduled around the Backlash pay-per-view are a house show in Anaheim on June 15, Raw in Los Angeles on June 17, a house show in Palm Springs on June 17, and Smackdown in Ontario on June 18. None of those events have been officially announced yet despite being less than two months away, but they are all still scheduled at this time. It is possible there will be a Raw brand house show in San Diego on June 16, as WWE still holds that date on the arena.

There is also talk about possibly switching the dates of the Southern California events with the next week’s Pacific Northwest events (that also have not been officially announced), but there are several scheduling conflicts in both areas.

Backlash would have been the first WWE pay-per-view to take place in San Diego since One Night Stand on June 1, 2008, and only the fourth WWE pay-per-view to take place in the city. The last wrestling pay-per-view to take place in San Diego was Impact’s Bound For Glory on October 20, 2013.

An announcement in regards to the June 17, 18, 24, and 25 Raw and Smackdowns should be coming soon, as WWE will need time to promote the events. As always with WWE events, until they are officially announced the dates are subject to change.

http://socaluncensored.com/2019/04/20/wwe-backlash-pay-per-view-scheduled-for-san-diego-has-been-canceled/

C'mon Vince rename the show to SuperWrestlemania in Saudi Arabia. Seems Undertaker is too big now to show up for Wrestlemania, I'm guessing they're doing Taker vs Elias there. Maybe Brock vs Rollins 3 as well.

Also going to be interesting to see what they do with Takeover San Jose since that was scheduled for that weekend too.

Too late for them to move it to be with Money in the Bank so most likely it means the 5th Takeover doesn't happen till post Summerslam

35 minutes ago, D.Z said:

C'mon Vince rename the show to SuperWrestlemania in Saudi Arabia. Seems Undertaker is too big now to show up for Wrestlemania, I'm guessing they're doing Taker vs Elias there. Maybe Brock vs Rollins 3 as well.

It will always be Saudi Blood Money to me. The next one is Saudi Blood Money III: Season of the Witch.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Also going to be interesting to see what they do with Takeover San Jose since that was scheduled for that weekend too.

Too late for them to move it to be with Money in the Bank so most likely it means the 5th Takeover doesn't happen till post Summerslam

That would be super disappointing, I’ve been really looking forward to that. They still haven’t announced tickets yet and it’s 7 weeks out. I assume we’ll find out this week one way or the other. 

Meltzer had confirmed the Backlash news earlier on his radio show but this is the blurb posted as part of the daily update

At this point, regarding WWE and the June PPV, the only thing we do know is the 6/16 Backlash PPV show scheduled for San Diego has been canceled. The presumption is that it's being pulled because of the 6/7 show in Saudi Arabia, which hasn't been announced, but that is the date scheduled. They are selling tickets for shows that weekend in the U.S. for both the Raw and Smackdown tours. We still don't know anything conclusively regarding the planned 6/8 Takeover show in San Jose. WWE has shows scheduled for 6/7 in Salt Lake City, 6/8 in Denver, Boise and Takeover in San Jose, and 6/9 in Oakland and Fresno.  

3 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

crazy to see but Vince followed CM Punk and AJ Lee on twitter this week also. He's only following 50 or so people . Maybe he is trolling but maybe he is reaching out to get them before AEW does? Would be huge for both to show up on the first Smackdown shown on Fox.

''Vince'' has been following them since they were both in the company.

Also I miss CM Punk

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Robert s said:

Walter is Austrian, but that does not really contradict your point (maybe it even helps). Maybe they should have gone with Holy Roman Empire, because that is the most fitting historical construct where all would be on the same team. Though I must say that always when I see Barthel teaming with Aichner I have to think of the phrase "von der Etsch bis an den Belt" ("from the Etsch (river rising in Souther Tyrol, where Aichner is from) to the Belt (straight in southern Denmark; Aichner is from northern Germany)" from the first stanza (which is nowadays identified with Nazi Germany) of the "Deutschlandlied" (approx. "Song of Germany") describing the claimed northern and southern boundaries of German speaking people).

I know he's Austrian, I just always forget when talking about it because of the German language cross-over.