DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2019 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

2 hours ago, Eivion said:

Wow, I kind of regret watching that clip. Roberts was just savage. Not sure why he thought any of that was a good idea.

because as much as he seemingly loves wrestling, or least WWE, he doesn't truly get it

Pretty much what Dolfan said

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Thanks 1

Reminder - this is the same exact gimmick that Roberts starting doing on the NXT kickoff shows (mainly with him going after Bianca Bel Air for the last two shows)

So clearly SOMEONE in the company (whether that just be Sam himself, Michael Cole or someone else) thinks it is a good idea

6 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Sam Roberts: Lady Killer? 

If you mean Roberts might strangle prostitutes and/or runaways "working" to support drug addictions, then yes.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

Ok, here's something I don't know.

In matches, especially older ones, when someone's in a headlock, they'll often tap the side of their opponent a few times with an open hand before they do a rope running spot. Likewise when they're in a chinlock, but they'll tap the arm. Is this part of the calling of the spot or some sort of selling or what?

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

In matches, especially older ones, when someone's in a headlock, they'll often tap the side of their opponent a few times with an open hand before they do a rope running spot. Likewise when they're in a chinlock, but they'll tap the arm. Is this part of the calling of the spot or some sort of selling or what?

I have always wondered what that meant. Like Flair, when he is grounded on the mat in a side-headlock, will do it repeatedly but it never seems to go anywhere. 

Edited by Execproducer

14 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

You know the fundamental thing he doesn't get about heel commentary, is that you need to believe what you're saying is right, even though everyone knows you're wrong. You have to be able to say that the reason Dana isn't going to win is because she's dumb, NOT that she sucks.  You need to be able to build sympathy for the face, while getting people to hate the heel (THE ONE IN THE RING, not yourself). Corey is also *extremely* guilty of this. 

You're not Jesse Ventura, you're not Bobby Heenan, you're not Michael PS Hayes - because they fucking got it.  

Is Dana Brooke going to light the world on fire all of the sudden?  No, probably not.   But she's certainly not going to do it by having one of the commentators say she's fucking terrible and sapping the viewer of any reason to want to watch.   

This is so goddamned easy.  My lord is this frustrating. 

It reminded me of heel Michael Cole to a degree. He didn't put any heat on the heels, it was all on him and the promotion. He was basically telling us that we're stupid for watching the show and that we're all a bunch of nerds. Why would I want to watch that?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Matt D said:

Combination of acknowledging the called spot/calling a spot and "loosen up a tad or I'm gonna pass out"

• Like 2

I think the heel announcer is a trope that just probably needs to be retired, unless it's an active heel wrestler doing a guest turn. It just doesn't really make much sense, because you don't come off as a 'heel', you just come off as a twat. And why would you hire/want to work with a twat?

The best way to approach it for someone like Graves, is for him to offer the perspective of the heel, as someone who's been in the ring and knows what it takes to succeed. But the full on heel shtick is terrible.

• Like 1

I would say the tenets of heel announcing are as follows:

• It's the referee's job to enforce the rules, not the Wrestler's job to follow them.
  • Cheating in pursuit of victory is justifiable if you get away with it.
  • The babyface wrestles within the rules not because they have an overarching belief in fair play and honesty, but because they're an insecure egomaniac trying to curry favour with the fans.
  • If the babyface eventually breaks the rules, it just proves they are a hypocrite who doesn't actually believe in fair play and honesty like they claim. However, the heel commentator is not a hypocrite for condemning one wrestler for cheating (whilst praising the other), because he says he isn't.
  • Babyface commentators are just corporate puppets who unquestioningly accept things they're told, and need to be educated out of that mindset.
  • If the heel wins through any means, it's a clean win. If the bayface wins, he obviously cheated somehow (even if he didn't).

Just follow those, and you're within the Ventura/ Heenan playbook. People who think that being the heel announcer is as simple as just being a dick and nothing else don't get it.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Matt D said:

It also happens on most DDT moves.  The idea that the move would be more devastating if you slap the guys back before hand doesn't really work.  Unless you are assuming that that is what is causing the momentum and not actually dropping down 

Any time there's weird out of place clapping or slapping stuff from wrestlers, I always assume it's a timing thing or related to whatever they called.

16 hours ago, Ace said:

Sam Roberts has no redeeming qualities.

FTFY

For WWE to still be full-throttle for the women's evolution in pro wrestling, having a commentator who's blatantly sexist is insane. Some of us were pointing that out in January with the Bianca Belair debacle (and in that case, with racial overtones).

• Like 1

I am just mentioning this here since not everyone ventures to the AEW thread

Dustin Rhodes is officially done with the WWE and in the least shocking news ever, will work AEW (for at least one event)

THE WWE ROSTER PURGE IS HAPPENING~! (not really but I do miss the post Mania roster culling)

6 minutes ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

They just played Becky Lynch's music to hype the crowd during the Carolina/ Washington game.

TON of WWE themes throughout the NHL playoffs. Have heard Angle, Austin, Rollins, Lynch, Warrior, Roode just off the top of my head this past week. Sure there's been others too.

• Like 3