DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2019 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

6 hours ago, BobbyWhioux said:

Although I guess this explains “The Viking Experience”: coming up with a Norse mythos/Viking sounding team name that doesn’t yet sound too much like a white supremacist organization is pretty difficult ?

at least they just sound like a cruise line this way 

I don't understand why people just left good chunks of Norse themes and symbols to fucking Nazis. Cultural sphere occupied by Nazis grows bigger every time someone thinks that something sounds like white supremacy thing and as such that name/image/idea/whatever should be left alone. At some point we'll get to situation where even having Viking characters on screen will be too controversial due to white supremacy.

And obviously I understand that this "taking Norse culture back from Nazis" thing shouldn't start, or probably happen at all, in WWE, but it has to start somewhere.

2 hours ago, Archibald said:

Cultural sphere occupied by Nazis grows bigger every time someone thinks that something sounds like white supremacy thing and as such that name/image/idea/whatever should be left alone.

?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Thank you Dolfan. This hasn't been a good day so far, so I could use a few laughs.

Sorry to hear that. I'm not having the best either. Here if you wanna natter.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Reading Larry Matysik's book on St. Louis wrestling and it really is kind of a Bible on promoting wrestling the right way. Not that a lot of the old fashioned booking would work in this day and age but reading the book I get why a lot of people look at the rules of St. Louis still applying.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

@The Natural @Nice Guy Eddie hang in there dudes, hope things look up

Re: the trashcan thing, it's cute, but it's no Okada as Ice Cream 

Things aren't as bad as they seemed before. Still not great, but I don't think I'm looking at donating my biological father's remains to the mortuary school I went to as soon as I thought.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Hagan said:

Reading Larry Matysik's book on St. Louis wrestling and it really is kind of a Bible on promoting wrestling the right way. Not that a lot of the old fashioned booking would work in this day and age but reading the book I get why a lot of people look at the rules of St. Louis still applying.

I'd like to check that out, the library in my city just got into this cool state wide program where they'll order books for you from elsewhere. I don't know shit about STL wrestling outside of what was in that Bob Costas Wrestling at the Chase doc that came out maybe 99, 2000

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I'd like to check that out, the library in my city just got into this cool state wide program where they'll order books for you from elsewhere. I don't know shit about STL wrestling outside of what was in that Bob Costas Wrestling at the Chase doc that came out maybe 99, 2000

Wrestling at the Chase is an awesome book indeed, definitely read it if you can get ahold of it. It's also one of the few wrestling books that aside from the inevitability of what happened to Brody (who has a big part of the book as Larry was very close with him) it's relatively devoid of sad stuff. It stands more as a celebration of a bygone era. Excellent read.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MarcosLoura said:

I really don't even care about wrestling but New Day makes me happy.

I literally just got a text from a former co-worker who used to roll her eyes anytime me and another co-worker would talk about wrestling about how she's getting into watching the WWE now because of Xavier Woods being awesome. 

• Like 4

You know the fundamental thing he doesn't get about heel commentary, is that you need to believe what you're saying is right, even though everyone knows you're wrong. You have to be able to say that the reason Dana isn't going to win is because she's dumb, NOT that she sucks.  You need to be able to build sympathy for the face, while getting people to hate the heel (THE ONE IN THE RING, not yourself). Corey is also *extremely* guilty of this. 

You're not Jesse Ventura, you're not Bobby Heenan, you're not Michael PS Hayes - because they fucking got it.  

Is Dana Brooke going to light the world on fire all of the sudden?  No, probably not.   But she's certainly not going to do it by having one of the commentators say she's fucking terrible and sapping the viewer of any reason to want to watch.   

This is so goddamned easy.  My lord is this frustrating. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2