DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2019 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

On 4/15/2019 at 3:12 AM, Sky Blue Sam said:

I'd not heard Madden commentate in years until I decided to watch Mayhem 2000 on a whim this weekend, and the guy was truly wretched.

Amusingly, I tweeted out how bad I thought his commentary was (without @-ing anyone BTW), and was surprised when a few hours later Madden quoted the tweet to call me a mark and that I was just jealous. Which felt like an odd flex, to tell your 100k followers that you vanity searched yourself and got upset because someone thought you were a bad commentator 19 years ago.

Mark Madden is the worst commentator in the history of wrestling. He'd go into business for himself on air to get his friends over and bury people he didn't like. The Kevin Smith catchphrases were god awful; he always acted like he was too cool for wrestling and he managed to make an unwatchable WCW even worse.

The only thing even close to him was heel Cole, which was more just a really, really bad creative call and Coachman's Raw stints. 

As with most things, as awful as WWE is at times them at their worst compared to WCW seems like golden age All Japan.  

• Like 3

16 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

I can't fathom WWE having a live event the evening of Easter Sunday.  Maybe 15 yrs ago but not now.  If they did I would assume it be at MSG. I think it will just be a sit down interview

Never underestimate the desire of people to get away from their family on holidays.  Easter, Christmas, etc all the movie theaters in town are packed cause it gives people something to do other than deal with their drunk Aunts & Uncles. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hagan said:

So, Bray is coming back as a comedy act, right? No way the buzzard puppet is meant to be taken seriously and the rumor was this was a RADICAL change. I'm game for Bray Wyatt as Santino. 

Simon Phoenix sums up my thoughts exactly:

Speaking of Bray - I was thinking that he actually might be the most irrelevant WWE champion ever. I'm ignoring the various iterations of the World title (though he might be the one there, too) but as far as the lineal title goes he had the most pointless, nothing reign of anyone that has held the title only once. 

- You have transitional champs like Stasiak and Andre but they  took the belts off top stars in historic matches and transitioned the title to top babyfaces. 

- RVD's reign kind of meant nothing but he won it in a pretty high profile slot and it lead to the formation of the ECW brand.

- Jeff Hardy's WWE title was only 21 days but he was a really hot babyface and it was a high profile feud with Edge and was the culmination of this long build of him as a single star. 

- Rey Mysterio had the belt for a few hours during the Punk/Cena stuff so I guess that might be the most pointless. 

- Jinder's reign wasn't much but they gave him a run and he was focused on heavily. He won the title in a singles match main event of a PPV, too. 

- Bray wins the title in a multi-man Elimination Chamber, drops it in a horrible, nothing match at Mania to give Randy his 100th championship and then has one of the worst feuds of the decade and then that's basically it for him. He's now gonna be a puppeteer. 

The last two posts made me wonder what ever happened to Jack Swagger, so I Googled him, and he's now Lucha Underground champ? WTF? I don't have access to El Rey anymore and haven't seen a LU show since maybe halfway through the third season, but Swagger as a base for some of their smaller wrestlers sounds fun. I assumed that they would have put the belt on Cage if they wanted a muscleman tossing around sub-200 pounders though.

1 minute ago, Smelly McUgly said:

The last two posts made me wonder what ever happened to Jack Swagger, so I Googled him, and he's now Lucha Underground champ? WTF? I don't have access to El Rey anymore and haven't seen a LU show since maybe halfway through the third season, but Swagger as a base for some of their smaller wrestlers sounds fun. I assumed that they would have put the belt on Cage if they wanted a muscleman tossing around sub-200 pounders though.

Lucha Underground is dead so that doesn't even count

He is more into MMA now - he had his first fight for Bellator a couple of months ago

Due to that - he hasn't actually wrestled since Dec

2 hours ago, Hagan said:

So, Bray is coming back as a comedy act, right? No way the buzzard puppet is meant to be taken seriously and the rumor was this was a RADICAL change. I'm game for Bray Wyatt as Santino. 

A radical change would be Bray not being treated as a comedy character.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Hagan said:

I was thinking of guys with only one reign and winnowing it down to just the WWE title. The Swagger World title  reign at least gave us the Eagle.  

Even with you super strict criteria - the answer is Kane

Since his reign was one day and he just flip-flopped the title with Austin so he wasn't even transitional

AND his win is forgotten because it was the match immediately after the Taker/Mankind Cell match

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Lucha Underground is dead so that doesn't even count

He is more into MMA now - he had his first fight for Bellator a couple of months ago

Due to that - he hasn't actually wrestled since Dec

I knew about the MMA fight, but I didn't know that LU was dead. I warmed up to it eventually, and it's a shame that it's dead. Did they at least wrap up all the storylines?

1 hour ago, CSC said:

Never underestimate the desire of people to get away from their family on holidays.  Easter, Christmas, etc all the movie theaters in town are packed cause it gives people something to do other than deal with their drunk Aunts & Uncles. 

I grew up in a town with a large Jewish population. My Jewish friends told me they went to the movies and ordered Chinese food on Christmas.

• Like 2

Just now, Smelly McUgly said:

I knew about the MMA fight, but I didn't know that LU was dead. I warmed up to it eventually, and it's a shame that it's dead. Did they at least wrap up all the storylines?

No, because the producers won't admit it's dead, therefore holding everyone under an archaic contract that the Talent literally has to sue their way out of.

• Sad 2

4 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Y'all forgot about The Great Khali's 61-day reign of terror.  

He was my backup if Kane was DQed

However - I also feel like Hagan was specifically referencing one of the Championship lineages and not the other

EDIT - yeah what Raziel said