DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2019 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

7 minutes ago, Hagan said:

Not defending the rule or the reaction but this also breaks down to "here'a rule to follow." *ignores it* *gets fired.*

Pretty much life. It's a dumb rule but apparently an important one. 

There seems to be this reflexive thing where no WWE firing is ever justified. Vince is famously touchy about being thanked because, apparently, he assumes people will assume the night is all about getting his ego stroked. If Evans decided to ignore that or think that it was a rule that wasn't serious, kind of on him. 

To be fair - in this specific instance - the criticism appears to lean more towards the inequity in that Evans got fired but DX jokingly did and even said "we can't get punished" and didn't

• Like 4

I hate linking to shit I saw on Reddit, but I figure it's worth talking about here. Anyone see this video below yet?

Scott Hall looks wasted. Did he fall off the wagon recently or something. I thought he had stayed clean this whole time.

39 minutes ago, Hagan said:

There seems to be this reflexive thing where no WWE firing is ever justified. Vince is famously touchy about being thanked because, apparently, he assumes people will assume the night is all about getting his ego stroked. If Evans decided to ignore that or think that it was a rule that wasn't serious, kind of on him. 

That's a perfectly reasonable request actually, at least when put that way.  But this being Vince and company I imagine the order was phrased in a way that didn't get that particular point across.  I also wonder if it was something that Evans either forgot to take into account or if he chose to ignore it.  Unless I missed it I didn't see any indication one way or another on that.

Edited by NikoBaltimore

And more confirmation that Drew isn't hurt

By Mike Johnson on 2019-04-11 13:03:00
As those of you watching Smackdown this past Tuesday know, Drew McIntyre disappeared towards the end of his six man tag team match with The Bar against The New Day. 

PWInsider.com readers who were live in Brooklyn sent along that McIntyre exited via the timekeeper's area from ringside and returned to the back.  This spurred on concern that perhaps McIntyre had been injured over the course of the match.  We are told that was not the case and he is not injured.

What did happen, according to a source who was backstage during the main event, was that time was cut from the bout.  Since the finishing sequence was to focus on New Day beating the Bar, there was no time to explain taking Drew out of the equation.  So, Drew was instructed to return to the back.   

2:05 PM Update: Earlier I wrote, "One might wonder why they even booked McIntyre in the bout to begin with then, but we don't have any answer for that."  Well, now we do.  The original pitched main event for Smackdown this past Tuesday at WWE Champion Kofi Kingston vs. Drew McIntyre.  It was changed into a six man tag as the day progressed.

So, there's no injury issue.

34 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I hate linking to shit I saw on Reddit, but I figure it's worth talking about here. Anyone see this video below yet?

Scott Hall looks wasted. Did he fall off the wagon recently or something. I thought he had stayed clean this whole time.

I haven't watched the video yet cause I'm at work, but in others I've seen, he answers that question with something like "I'm not where I wanna be, but thank God I'm not where I was at." So it seems like that's probably code for "I still get fucked up, just not on the daily"

1 minute ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I haven't watched the video yet cause I'm at work, but in others I've seen, he answers that question with something like "I'm not where I wanna be, but thank God I'm not where I was at." So it seems like that's probably code for "I still get fucked up, just not on the daily"

Fuck. That's really sad. That's similar to shit Anthonoy Bourdain used to say. He would go on about how "I'm not doing drugs anymore, but I'm still going to enjoy alcohol because I can manage it and it's better than where I used to be."

• Sad 1

I wonder if DX saying “Vince” thing was them trying to save RD’s job. Like saying “Look we said it, now fucking lighten up, Boss”. Also I can understand Stan Hansen not thanking Vince because “what the fuck did Jr. do for him”, but Bret’s biggest success was under VKM Jr., and no one else. It’s hard not to mention him in a speech. Especially for a Hall of Fame that is voted on by one man.

• Like 2

The other big question in my mind: Did Evans script Bret to say Vince? Did he even know Bret was going to do it? Or did he just have the misfortune of being the producer when Bret happened to go off script a bit?

Because if it's the former, then he did break company rules. If it's the latter, then the reaction is really bullshit.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

On the subject of WWE injuries

FUCK! Nooooooooooooo! Man, this is the most shit timing. Hopefully, like when Kofi was injured, they still have him coming out with the New Day.

7 hours ago, Craig H said:

Fuck. That's really sad. That's similar to shit Anthonoy Bourdain used to say. He would go on about how "I'm not doing drugs anymore, but I'm still going to enjoy alcohol because I can manage it and it's better than where I used to be."

It's happened to me too many times. I can have a few drinks because I'm not a alcoholic. My problem was coke. Next thing I know, I'm going to see Mr. White.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

The other big question in my mind: Did Evans script Bret to say Vince? Did he even know Bret was going to do it? Or did he just have the misfortune of being the producer when Bret happened to go off script a bit?

Because if it's the former, then he did break company rules. If it's the latter, then the reaction is really bullshit.

Maybe Evans wanted out, like Jimmy Jacobs did, so he did it intentionally.

2 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Maybe Evans wanted out, like Jimmy Jacobs did, so he did it intentionally.

I've been wondering about this as well. He's still young and can presumably find work wherever. One of these days a writer or someone else is going to pull one of these on their way out:

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I've been wondering about this as well. He's still young and can presumably find work wherever. One of these days a writer or someone else is going to pull one of these on their way out:

Sounds like Pat McAfee almost did

With what has been reported as Vince seeing just about everything as a sign of weakness, I'm shocked Lars Sullivan wasn't given a major depressive disorder & anxiety disorder gimmick. 

For example, Lars doesn't show up for matches because he's so depressed he can't drag himself out of bed and do basic things like shower, brush his teeth, etc. When he can get to work, he comes down the aisle, only to turn around and run backstage due to anxiety. That or he has a panic attack in the ring.

I could totally see Vince having to be talked out of it by Steph and HHH.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

With what has been reported as Vince seeing just about everything as a sign of weakness, I'm shocked Lars Sullivan wasn't given a major depressive disorder & anxiety disorder gimmick. 

For example, Lars doesn't show up for matches because he's so depressed he can't drag himself out of bed and do basic things like shower, brush his teeth, etc. When he can get to work, he comes down the aisle, only to turn around and run backstage due to anxiety. That or he has a panic attack in the ring.

I could totally see Vince having to be talked out it by Steph and HHH.

As someone who is keeping their anxiety under wraps with medication after a pretty brutal introduction to panic attacks in 2017... Nah I actually would find this pretty funny. It's only fair Vince come for us after I've spent years (and money!) watching him shit all over everyone else. Shit, I was more offended by Santino's accent.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

For example, Lars doesn't show up for matches because he's so depressed he can't drag himself out of bed and do basic things like shower, brush his teeth, etc. When he can get to work, he comes down the aisle, only to turn around and run backstage due to anxiety.

Sounds like Tuesday.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

As someone who is keeping their anxiety under wraps with medication after a pretty brutal introduction to panic attacks in 2017... Nah I actually would find this pretty funny. It's only fair Vince come for us after I've spent years (and money!) watching him shit all over everyone else. Shit, I was more offended by Santino's accent.

I've been very open about my struggles with both for 20+ years, but I think a gimmick making fun of it would be the final straw for me with WWE.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 5