DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2019 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

On 4/5/2019 at 9:26 AM, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I'm probably starting to sound like the resident Kliq apologist here, but I watched a KC shoot with Hall some years ago and I recall him talking about getting Dusty into that role as a thank you for all Dusty did for him when he broke in-- not saying you're wrong whatsoever, just throwing it out there

https://dai.ly/x2t8uz

I watched this again and there's nowhere near as much Dusty/Sting interaction as I remembered and while Hall sells a little over exaggerated like an asshole early on, he doesn't appear messed up.  I must've conflated this with some other Hall match.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MORELOCK said:

Hindsight. It's 20/20!

I don't think "no ECW fan would question the booking" is a valid defense, as ECW fans have been putting over everything the company ever did as flawless for 20 years now.

This is a textbook example of a strawman. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Has there ever been a better worked boxing match in wrestling than Johnny B Badd vs Scotty Flamingo at Clash XXI? It's so much fun, goes less than two rounds, the boxing doesn't look terrible and ends with some hilarious heel chicanery? The whole "One Punch Bingo" Flamingo bit is great

4 minutes ago, Sky Blue Sam said:

Has there ever been a better worked boxing match in wrestling than Johnny B Badd vs Scotty Flamingo at Clash XXI? It's so much fun, goes less than two rounds, the boxing doesn't look terrible and ends with some hilarious heel chicanery? The whole "One Punch Bingo" Flamingo bit is great

The Badd/Anderson one is quite good too.

• Like 1

UK People: MLW Battle Riot is on Freesports at 10pm until midnight tonight. If you have a TV, you have the channel - it's on Freeview, Freesat, SKY, Virgin and BT TV. Then Fusion (their weekly one hour TV show) will be every Monday at 9. Give it a try, they've got a solid roster. And Salina De Le Renta.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

RevPro finished ages ago, they only did like ten episodes. I ended up reviewing all of them in Theoretical Number Two. Probably a page or two back now though. Hopefully it comes back, or they repeat it. ITV's been repeating World of Sport 2018 and that was barely watchable, never mind rewatchable. RevPro was much better.

I've also been watching Defiant on YouTube. David Starr gets babyface chants while facing Pac in Newcastle. Kanji is shockingly good for someone so green, or has great carriers. Maybe a bit of both.

Match rec: the Session Moth Martina vs Meiko Satomura match from Scrappermania is good. Even better is the pre-match video about Martina wanting to prove herself as more than just a party girl. I'd say the promo video not far off from the Starr/Devlin stuff. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, HumanChessgame said:

Maybe Lacey Evans does something besides walk out and waste a minute of our time. Or maybe she goes back into manager role with a new team?

You were right but I still feel the best use of Lacey Evans is to send her back to NXT and wrestle on the Florida loop for another year or two. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

You were right but I still feel the best use of Lacey Evans is to send her back to NXT and wrestle on the Florida loop for another year or two. 

You're probably right but that does lead to a bigger discussion of is it better to get experience working with more experienced wrestlers on the regular WWE schedule or do the Largo Loop against people like Jesse and the Horsewomen? I know there's a lot of good experienced wrestlers down there like Io and Kairi and Candace but there's also a disconnect that a lot of NXT style isn't really WWE house style. 

2 minutes ago, Hagan said:

You're probably right but that does lead to a bigger discussion of is it better to get experience working with more experienced wrestlers on the regular WWE schedule or do the Largo Loop against people like Jesse and the Horsewomen? I know there's a lot of good experienced wrestlers down there like Io and Kairi and Candace but there's also a disconnect that a lot of NXT style isn't really WWE house style. 

She could work house shows with Mickie for a few months and that'd be fine.  Her being on TV while trying to figure it out isn't fine. 

• Like 2

If we do ever get the advanced metrics on wrestling - I need someone to go back and figure out how many times when a champion kisses their belt before a defense, they lose it

Meltzer joked on Twitter during Mania after one of the Revival kissed the belt that "well they are definitely losing"

(I was reminded of this due to the current boo boo face discussion)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oyaji said:

Didn't Bret kiss the belt in every defense?

1) bounce through ropes

2) remove belt

3) kiss belt

4) give belt to ref

5) go back out and give glasses to a kid in the front row

the other five moves of doom

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Was thinking that when Tommy Dreamer inevitably is a mystery partner in AEW in a hardcore rules streetfight he'll be one of the only wrestlers to have competed in every major North American promotion since the end of WCW/ECW.

Have been trying to think all morning about the guys that have done the loop of major wrestling companies over the last few decades. Obviously a ton of guys have TNA/ROH/WWE but wondering who is still active that has performed at the most places. Dreamer really has to be up there. Bully Ray too. 

This might be a terrible question because I'm sure there's like a hundred that have wrestled everywhere. 

Edit: I have Dreamer being in TNA/ROH/WWE/MLW/Lucha Underground. 

Edited by Hagan