DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2019 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

2 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Assuming we are on the "running at a stadium argument", while it might be cool to experience, the idea that people are going to watch the royal Rumble at Soldiers Field (or whatever it is called) in January seems unlikely.    But you could run in Detroit because Ford Field has a dome

Weather for next year isn't a factor because Houston is pretty good in January and it has a roof.

Ford Field probably won't be seeing January football any time soon either lol

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

WWE.com's list of the 35 best Mania matches ever. These are always... fun?

https://www.wwe.com/shows/wrestlemania/article/35-best-wrestlemania-matches

I feel like these lists are getting worse. Some highlights:

• No Hogan vs Andre, Hogan vs Savage, or Flair vs Savage
  • Shane vs AJ at 35 because Shane needs to be on here somewhere
  • Undertaker vs Brock at 30, because historical significance = great match; Taker's Mania 23 and Mania 27 matches, darlings of some on this board, are nowhere to be found
  • Perhaps the most alarming thing on the list, Triple H vs Jericho at Mania 18 is included
  • The Mania 2000 ladder match is absent 
  • Savage vs Warrior way low at 15
  • Your best Mania match of all time is HBK vs Taker at Mania 25

And that's without touching things that I hate but other people enjoy for some reason, like Brock vs Angle at Mania 19. 

• No Hogan/Andre or Hogan/Savage matches is fine. No Savage/Flair match is bullshit.
  • Shane/AJ was good and is fine in its place.
  • Brock/Taker for historical significance would be fine if they had those other two matches I mentioned not being on their as well. As its it having it on there makes absolutely no damn sense. Its not even a top ten WM Taker match and is actively bad.
  • Asuka/Charlotte not being on there as one of the few women's matches is ridiculous.
  • HBK/Taker being on the list is fine. HBK/Taker being higher than Austin/Bret, Austin/Rock (WM 17), & Roman/Brock is complete horseshit. Taker/Shawn was a good match that helped out an otherwise meh show in 25, but it was not even in the top five discussion when it happened, let alone now.
  • Roman/Brock being outside of the top five is pure insanity. Honestly, most of the matches are just badly placed with only a handful being complete WTFs as to why they are even listed.
2 hours ago, J.H. said:

Takre/Michaels isn't even a top 20 Mania match!

Not when you've got Savage/Steamboat existing in ther multiverse!

James

Was never super fond of Savage/Steamboat from WM. The Maple Leaf Gardens match was way better. Warrior and Flair were much better WM Savage matches.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

Eddie vs Brock. Even with the dumb Goldberg run-in.

Off the board pick: Spike Dudley vs Mike Awesome. Remember watching it and it actually got my mom (who couldn't care less about wrestling) invested in the outcome because she wanted Spike to win.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, HumanChessgame said:

I was rewatching Brock/Bryan earlier today and it made me think - what are everyone's favorite Big Guy vs Small Guy matches?

Recently probably Finn/Brock. I also recall loving one of the Henry/Rey matches from SD in 06. Also would Roman vs. AJ/Finn/Bryan count? I loved all of his matches with them and they definitely played off the size difference in them.

• Like 1

Bam Bam Bigelow vs. Bret- KOTR '93

...and because it's still pretty fresh in my memory, I really enjoyed Will Ospreay vs. Lance Archer from this year's New Japan Cup. 

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Word Hoard said:

I never heard anybody in Toronto call it Rogers Centre unless they were mocking the corporate branding. 

I don't know why they couldn't just called it The Rogers Skydome. I mean in Boston, they finally gave up and renamed the TD Center to The TD Garden. I mean hell, I call Citi Field "New Shea".

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AxB said:

Sting vs Vader.

I know Vader was huge, but I can't really see calling Sting a "little guy." He was billed at 6'2" 250 which is pretty much heavyweight anywhere.

Edit: They are fucking great matches though

Edited by Brian Fowler

12 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

WWE.com's list of the 35 best Mania matches ever. These are always... fun?

https://www.wwe.com/shows/wrestlemania/article/35-best-wrestlemania-matches

I feel like these lists are getting worse. Some highlights:

• No Hogan vs Andre, Hogan vs Savage, or Flair vs Savage
  • Shane vs AJ at 35 because Shane needs to be on here somewhere
  • Undertaker vs Brock at 30, because historical significance = great match; Taker's Mania 23 and Mania 27 matches, darlings of some on this board, are nowhere to be found
  • Perhaps the most alarming thing on the list, Triple H vs Jericho at Mania 18 is included
  • The Mania 2000 ladder match is absent 
  • Savage vs Warrior way low at 15
  • Your best Mania match of all time is HBK vs Taker at Mania 25

And that's without touching things that I hate but other people enjoy for some reason, like Brock vs Angle at Mania 19. 

• Lesnar vs. Reigns at XXXI is way too low.
  • No way should Triple H vs. Jericho at WrestleMania X8 be there.
  • Ditto for Cena vs. Michaels from WrestleMania 23, it wasn't even the Match of the Night. Batista vs. The Undertaker was and it should have gone on last.
  • Rock vs. Hogan is so overrated.
  • Owen Hart vs. Bret Hart should be #2.
  • Wrong #1. Bret vs. Austin from WrestleMania 13.