DVDVR Message Board

All Things Borderlands

RIPPA

Just now, RUkered said:

Why did you have to bring up Punchout, dalmit? I still have functioning NES and play that shit. I have never even SEEN Tyson (I'm not counting the emulator version I have on PC where I can cheat to skip levels) because I suck so much at it.

I played far too many NES games growing up, and maybe that's why I hate tedium. The ONLY game I ever beat on NES was something called Guerrilla Warfare, and the only reason I did was because the game cartridge had the ability to save progress. As I'm talking through this, I'm kind of starting to realize I've never had the patience to finish hard games, and I've been playing since 5 years old on a hand-me-down Atari my cousin gave me.

I tried playing Punch-Out on my NES Classic when I finally got it. I got all the way to Bald Bull the second time around (the one where the ONLY way you can beat him is by countering the Bull Charge), and I just don't have the timing down anymore. Tried it a few times, got tired of getting knocked on my ass, and haven't gone back to it since.

5 minutes ago, Gonzo said:

I tried playing Punch-Out on my NES Classic when I finally got it. I got all the way to Bald Bull the second time around (the one where the ONLY way you can beat him is by countering the Bull Charge), and I just don't have the timing down anymore. Tried it a few times, got tired of getting knocked on my ass, and haven't gone back to it since.

The second Bald Bull has a tricky timing, because sometimes he'd back up three steps and sometimes he'd only back up two steps.  

5 minutes ago, Gonzo said:

That's about where I could make it to, if I remember right. All I can remember for sure is that when you started fighting guys for the second time, that was about the end of my run.

That fat asshole with the bandage on his stomach was pure hell for me.

On the subject of Borderlands, I hopped on for a little while earlier and Mel was on. Joining his game was a mistake. He said he's pretty sure it was glitched and I agree. It was the Hammerlock rescue mission.

I have never seen so many enemies, and a ton of Anointed that were immune to even regular bullets for some reason.

I bet we collectively lost a kid's college tuition in respawn money.

• Like 1

I finally cleared out Eden 6.  Since I've spent half the week moaning about boss fights, and I've jumped around in the story with melraz off and on, my reward was three boss fights in a row.  I got the two at the end of Eden 6, followed directly by Troy.  I'm probably over leveled at 40, so I was never in much danger.  Except the guardian did manage to dump me off the platform on Eden 6.  After I realized that could happen, it was just a matter of whittling down the bullet sponges.  Now I get to run around reading all the Eridian symbols that I found earlier.

5 minutes ago, Robert C said:

Now I get to run around reading all the Eridian symbols that I found earlier.

I am happy that I am now at that point in the game where I can just hit up the Eridian writings in the same run as everything else.   I think it took about two hours to go back and hit up all of the sites I had discovered when I was chasing down the Calypsos.

Tooling around Eden-6 a bit. Went back and did a couple of side missions on other planets that I wanted to clear out, including stomping a hole in Killavolt. Amazing how much easier that guy is to beat when you're eight levels above him rather than two levels below him. Still, fuck that guy.

Also had to do the "Ratch'd Up" mission, which was. . .interesting.

So far I've collected all of the pre-Eden-6 dead Claptraps, Typhon Dead Drops, and Crimson Radio locations. Haven't hit any of the Targets of Opportunity and only done one of the Hammerlock Hunts. Could probably go back and clear those off for something to do, too.

Since I've been moaning about bosses, I've found a new one for the list.  Bosses that, as soon as you kill them, immediately pop up with full health, immunity to how you killed em the first time, and a hard to avoid new attack that insta-kills both you and all the available second wind targets.

3 hours ago, Robert C said:

Since I've been moaning about bosses, I've found a new one for the list.  Bosses that, as soon as you kill them, immediately pop up with full health, immunity to how you killed em the first time, and a hard to avoid new attack that insta-kills both you and all the available second wind targets.

I don't think I've run into one yet, but I certainly enjoyed the "constantly leveling up until it got to god mode" thing Mel was fighting the other day.

DALMIT!!

MY MONKEY IS DEAD!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, RUkered said:

I don't think I've run into one yet, but I certainly enjoyed the "constantly leveling up until it got to god mode" thing Mel was fighting the other day.

DALMIT!!

MY MONKEY IS DEAD!!!!

That was the most fun I've had with this game, and all I did was sit on the edge of that precipice in case I needed to do a quick run in to prevent that thing from resetting.  I never even saw what he was fighting.  I desperately wanted it to go godlike, and I wasn't disappointed.

• Haha 1

The best summation I read of the Katagawa Ball fight is that "it's hard until it's easy." That's exactly what happened to me last night when I fought it. Thing killed me 15 times in a row without me even being able to get his yellow bar down. A couple of times he blasted me as soon as I dropped down the elevator shoot and put me in fight for my life immediately. Then I finally got into that spot behind the pipe where he can't hit you and used my drone and a corrosive SMG and a shock sniper rifle to kill him in about 4 or 5 minutes.

Things I learned last night (ok I already knew the second one, it just got reinforced).

1.)  If you ask somebody "do you want to go fight a T-Rex with machine guns?", it's best to clarify which side of the fight will have the machine guns.

2.)  Whoever came up with the idea of legendary weapon trinkets should probably find a new line of work.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Robert C said:

Things I learned last night (ok I already knew the second one, it just got reinforced).

1.)  If you ask somebody "do you want to go fight a T-Rex with machine guns?", it's best to clarify which side of the fight will have the machine guns.

2.)  Whoever came up with the idea of legendary weapon trinkets should probably find a new line of work.

I'm pretty sure my first legendary was a weapon trinket.  That's one of the least satisfying gaming moments in my entire life.

I got a weapon trinket from beating the Agonizer.  Pissed me off to no end.

I finally cleaned up all the side stuff and made it to Nekrotafeyo.  I'm 10-15 levels above everything I run into, so stuff dies quick if I bother to shoot at it.  I'm just running past most of the smaller stuff.

I'm through with the main game and clearing out side missions now, and I have found the most annoying one of all time. "Transaction Packed," where you're playing a beta version of a game and protecting Lana.

While I totally understand that they're parodying shitty game releases and microtransactions, I almost turned the Xbox off three times before I could finish it. Holy balls, was that woman annoying.

I'll be hearing THEY'RE ATTACKING in my sleep tonight. 

• Like 1

On 10/16/2019 at 6:01 PM, BrianS81177 said:

You can equip trinkets any time. Just select the little box to the left of your equipped weapons

My mistake. I was referring to the Artifact slot.

Just looked it up and I'm not far enough along in the game to have unlocked it yet.

21 hours ago, Robert C said:

.I'm just running past most of the smaller stuff.

I like playing the slot machines at Moxxi's since you can get Gold upgrades at your level when you hit jackpots, so I pretty much kill everything I can and grab all the loot I can so I will always have plenty of cash on hand since the cost of playing slots goes up exponentially as you level up.

Edited by J.T.

Has anyone else done the Buff Film Buff side mission?

I'm fairly sure it was glitched. It just kept respawning shit every time I'd take two steps. I had to fight two Super Raging Badass Daddy Goliaths, and - no shit - at least nine Anointed something or others. Hell, there was yet another one stalking around after I turned the mission in. I just ran away.

It was beyond ridiculous. At least I got some decent loot out of it.

• Like 1

On 10/19/2019 at 2:14 PM, Robert C said:

Finished it.  Last fight was kinda underwhelming.

I think Gearbox has made a conscious effort to reel in final boss fights after the combined obscenities of the boss fights at the end of the B1 regular campaign and that Claptrap's Robo Revolution abortion.

Crawmerax can also eat a bag of barbequed rat testicles.

On 10/18/2019 at 3:20 PM, RUkered said:

Has anyone else done the Buff Film Buff side mission?

Weird.  I finished that mission with no problems.  I even cheated a little because you can clear out some of the areas where enemies spawn with a vehicle.

I never fight Goliaths head on.  I try to dome them to knock off their helmets first while there are still a lot of enemies around and then let them run around and massacre anything that moves. 

Once they're done doing my dirty work for me, I use my Special to kill them and then reap the rewards.  If the bad guys murder the Goliath before he strangles everyone with their own intestines, I mosey up and pick off the wounded survivors.

Edited by J.T.