DVDVR Message Board

All Things Borderlands

RIPPA

22 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Yeah, I hate cycling through my guns with the A button.

If you are trying to use A to cycle through your weapons, you have bigger issues

(It's the Y button)

At least on PS4 there's a classic control mode where guns are mapped to the d-pad.  I used it for a while and then went back to the new way since it remaps switch weapon mode to a long press on triangle so I kept switching guns when I was trying to change modes.  Now I just try to keep my guns in order from longest to shortest range.

I'm midway through the Killowatt quest and I hate listening to him so much.  I can't wait to murder this dude.  I don't think  any of the bosses have taken me more than 2-3 tries so far.  Having a pet to tank for you really helps playing solo.

I hate that the legendary weapons are at the level of the planet you are on not at the level your character is on.  I went back and did a bunch of challenges and got 3 different legendary weapons...and had to sell them.  What am I going to do with a level 7 legendary pistol when I'm a level 21?  It really doesn't help that the game doesn't tell you, "hey, those challenges you found when you pressed the wrong button on the map, you can get really good gear from them."  

2 minutes ago, supremebve said:

I hate that the legendary weapons are at the level of the planet you are on not at the level your character is on.  I went back and did a bunch of challenges and got 3 different legendary weapons...and had to sell them.  What am I going to do with a level 7 legendary pistol when I'm a level 21?  It really doesn't help that the game doesn't tell you, "hey, those challenges you found when you pressed the wrong button on the map, you can get really good gear from them."  

I used a level 21 Legendary weapon effectively until I was nearly 30th.  It takes a long time before Legendary weapons are no longer viable because they are out-leveled by enemies.

And for God's sake, don't sell them.  Toss them into the vault on Sanctuary so that any new characters can have access to them once you unlock access to Sanctuary for those characters.

Edited by J.T.
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

I'm midway through the Killowatt quest and I hate listening to him so much.  I can't wait to murder this dude.  I don't think  any of the bosses have taken me more than 2-3 tries so far.  Having a pet to tank for you really helps playing solo.

I was able to kill KillaVolt in one go, but it took two Second Winds to get me to victory.   You have to keep moving as much as possible since he's able to shatter your shields almost at will. 

It also does not help that the encounter is counterintuitive.  Normally you'd think that Shock weapons would be useful against a boss with a shield, but KillaVold is very resistant to the Shock property.  I found Radiation weapons to be effective as a DoT to counter his Shield and Fire weapons were naturally effective in damaging his health,

In the event that you are downed, do your best to kill one of the wandering Psycho minions as fast as you can to get a Second Wind.

Edited by J.T.

3 hours ago, J.T. said:

I used a level 21 Legendary weapon effectively until I was nearly 30th.  It takes a long time before Legendary weapons are no longer viable because they are out-leveled by enemies.

And for God's sake, don't sell them.  Toss them into the vault on Sanctuary so that any new characters can have access to them once you unlock access to Sanctuary for those characters.

A thousand times this.  Are the cover weapons apart of the weapons rewards achievement?

So, this might be a stupid question but I'm playing as Zane and I picked the Sentl and the ability to throw grenades as my two action skills. I don't seem to be able to change that and equip a 2nd action skill instead of grenades. I thought it was one of those things where you had the choice to switch back and forth between having 2 skills or 1 skill and a grenade. Am I missing something or will I need to respec my skills in order to have 2 action skills?

So, yeah.  My new favorite character is Clay.  Duh..

Troy and his new Anointed who are selectively immune to almost everything can fuck right off.  Nothing is worse than speccing Iron Bear to do Corrosive and Cryo damage and then noting that the mini-boss I'm fighting is resistant to both of those element types.

I also hate the Anointed because I keep forgetting to shatter them after they're dead so that they drop loot.

I finally tipped Moxxi enough cash to get a weapon in the mail.  It's a pretty badass purple Shock SMG and it should come in handy later on.

Moze is around 30th level now and I am up to The Family Jewel mission.  The age of the Gearbox developers is beginning to show since the side mission I got from the Sanctuary IIII bounty board that's associated with me exploring this lost starship is a callback to the Disney sci-fi cult classic, The Black Hole.

RIP, Chadd.  Swamp Bro was a hilarious mission.

Chadd makes telephone noices.

Game prompts me to *Answer the Call of Danger*

"Uh. Hello, Danger.  This is Moze."

FUCK YEAH~!

I am a bit annoyed that I only got a new color scheme for the runner for doing the Get Quick, Slick mission, but the Grog Lube paint job is quite nice.  If you REALLY want to experience how poorly the vehicles handle, do this mission and the burger delivery mission at Reliance.

Edited by J.T.

And I HATE the added gunsight sway I get when I try to use a sniper rifle.

Yes, I understand.  If I want to get the best performance out of a sniper rifle, I should be playing FL4K instead of Moze.

Fuck you, Gearbox.  You said I'd be decent with any weapon regardless of class.

Edited by J.T.

12 minutes ago, Robert C said:

That Killavolt fight would've sucked if I hadn't been over leveled.  Gearbox sure does love their elemental damage floors right about now.

Yes, KillVolt and Katagawa Ball are similarly annoying in their ability to deny you the ability to stand your ground and kill them to death.

Their AoE DoT ground attacks can go fuck right off.

The only good thing about the KillaVolt fight over the Katagawa Ball fight is at least you don't have to cheese KillaVolt to win.  

Running and jumping to avoid damage will suffice and you get lots of opportunities to get a Second Wind if you are downed.

I have never been able to beat Katagawa Ball without going to the HVAC hidey spot to cheese him and there is like one support enemy around to kill for a Second Wind, but he runs away like a bitch if you get too close to him.

Edited by J.T.

21 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Yes, KillVolt and Katagawa Ball are similarly annoying in their ability to deny you the ability to stand your ground and kill them to death.

Their AoE DoT ground attacks can go fuck right off.

The only good thing about the KillaVolt fight over the Katagawa Ball fight is at least you don't have to cheese KillaVolt to win.  

Running and jumping to avoid damage will suffice and you get lots of opportunities to get a Second Wind if you are downed.

I have never been able to beat Katagawa Ball without going to the HVAC hidey spot to cheese him and there is like one support enemy around to kill for a Second Wind, but he runs away like a bitch if you get too close to him.

There is another one later (maybe 2 planets after Killavolt) that is worse.  Much, much worse.  Gotta level up some more before trying him again.

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

Anything worse than the Katagawa Ball fight will probably turn me into a raging alcoholic.

I hated that fight.  It didn't help that I didn't have a legendary during that fight but ended up with 3 within the next hour and a half after I beat it.  

I really really don't understand the design of that fight.

Like how there aren't things around that you can kill to get out of FFYL is beyond me.

At least at the vault - random guardians popped up. Fuck you could even shoot the clouds and get revived. (Granted that one also had an ally that may or may not revive depending on if she is glitching out or not)

9 minutes ago, supremebve said:

I hated that fight.  It didn't help that I didn't have a legendary during that fight but ended up with 3 within the next hour and a half after I beat it.  

A good corrosive weapon is all you really need for that fight and not even that if you are patient and have plenty of ammo.   Once you get rid of the yellow bar, the blue bar is not as difficult to destroy as most Shields are.

The problem is that the fucking boss has loads of cheesy AoE attacks that it can use without warning cues.  One minute you're fine and the next your barrier is smashed and you're sitting at like 30 red if you're lucky.

The cheese spots in that area will spare you from the worst of the attacks, but the boss can still drop an AoE DoT back there to force you to move.  

The key to winning is not to panic if you're low on health as long as you're repositioning to keep your Shield up and keep bug biting the fucking boss until it dies.  The video I posted a page or two back was a big help to me.

1 minute ago, RIPPA said:

I really really don't understand the design of that fight.

Like how there aren't things around that you can kill to get out of FFYL is beyond me.

At least at the vault - random guardians popped up. Fuck you could even shoot the clouds and get revived. (Granted that one also had an ally that may or may not revive depending on if she is glitching out or not).

Yeah, the design of that encounter is baffling because it's not like the others.

As you say, even in the worst and most tedious boss fights after that, there are still Second Wind opportunities if you are downed. 

Billie The Anointed and his fucking Blink Smash put me down three times, but I still managed to smoke an overly aggressive Psycho for a Second Wind.

If Katagawa Ball downs you, you're going to spend New U revive money whether you like it or not.

Edited by J.T.

14 minutes ago, J.T. said:

A good corrosive weapon is all you really need for that fight and not even that if you are patient and have plenty of ammo.   Once you get rid of the yellow bar, the blue bar is not as difficult to destroy as most Shields are.

The problem is that the fucking boss has loads of cheesy AoE attacks that it can use without warning cues.  One minute you're fine and the next your barrier is smashed and you're sitting at like 30 red if you're lucky.

The cheese spots in that area will spare you from the worst of the attacks, but the boss can still drop an AoE DoT back there to force you to move.  

The key to winning is not to panic if you're low on health as long as you're repositioning to keep your Shield up and keep bug biting the fucking boss until it dies.  The video I posted a page or two back was a big help to me.

My biggest issue is that I was running out of ammo for my corrosive weapon before I was anywhere close to killing the boss.  My best corrosive was a pistol that didn't do nearly enough damage outside of the corrosive effect.  It wouldn't be so bad if there wasn't a crazy firefight right before that left most of the ammo boxes empty.  I was just switching from gun to gun hoping to have enough ammo to get through.  My best gun at the time was an incendiary pistol which was no help at all, but I got a sweet ass legendary electrical pistol when I beat it which has got me through a lot of fights since.  

I realize this is a stupid complaint when this is a looting game, but I always hated opening chests in 2. This time around, I'm flipping them open like a crackhead because I'm always running out of ammo and it is expensive as shit.

Also, is it just me, or are the vehicles made out of paper mache in this one?

Anyway, if it sounds like I'm doing nothing but bitching, I love the game. Having a sidekick with FL4K makes me way too brave because I figure he'll revive me most of the time.

Edit: OH SHIT! Just got to the prison break. Robert, he ain't kidding.

Edited by RUkered
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RUkered said:

I realize this is a stupid complaint when this is a looting game, but I always hated opening chests in 2. This time around, I'm flipping them open like a crackhead because I'm always running out of ammo and it is expensive as shit.

Also, is it just me, or are the vehicles made out of paper mache in this one?

Anyway, if it sounds like I'm doing nothing but bitching, I love the game. Having a sidekick with FL4K makes me way too brave because I figure he'll revive me most of the time.

Edit: OH SHIT! Just got to the prison break. Robert, he ain't kidding.

Damnit, I need to power through to see some of this stuff.  I have a hard time believing it's gonna top (not really a spoiler, just one line of dialog):

Spoiler

Took ya long enough piss-breath!  I got shit elves earnin time and a half buildin log cabins in my colon!

Really got irritated last night as where I was inside a building and you would respawn and instantly be killed because all the enemies were standing in front of the respawn point

So fucking annoying