DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night on ESPN 2: Barboza vs. Gaethje (3/30/2019) - Philadelphia, PA (Wells Fargo Center)

Elsalvajeloco

D1K0zu5WsAEKBfw.jpg?1552083465

UFC Fight Night on ESPN 2: Barboza vs. Gaethje 
March 30, 2019
Philadelphia, PA (Wells Fargo Center)

Edson Barboza (155.5) vs. Justin Gaethje (155.5) - Gaethje, KO (punch), R1 (2:30)
David Branch (185.5) vs. Jack Hermansson (185) - Hermansson, SUB (guillotine choke), R1 (0:49)
Josh Emmett (145.75) vs. Michael Johnson (146) - Emmett, KO (punch), R3 (4:14)
Karolina Kowalkiewicz (114.75) vs. Michelle Waterson (115.5) - Waterson, DEC (unanimous)
Paul Craig (205) vs. Kennedy Nzechukwu (205.5) - Craig, SUB (triangle choke), R3 (4:20)
Sheymon Moraes (145) vs. Sodiq Yusuff (145.5) - Yusuff, DEC (unanimous)

ESPN Preliminary Card:
Jessica Aguilar (115.25) vs. Marina Rodriguez (114.75) - Rodriguez, DEC (unanimous)
Ross Pearson (155.25) vs. Desmond Green (155) - Green, TKO (punches), R2 (2:52)
Enrique Barzola (145) vs. Kevin Aguilar (145) - Aguilar, DEC (unanimous)
Kevin Holland (185) vs. Gerald Meerschaert (185.5) - Holland, DEC (split)

ESPN+ Preliminary Card:
Ray Borg (137.75)* vs. Casey Kenney (135.5) - Kenney, DEC (unanimous)
Maryna Moroz (125.25) vs. Sabina Mazo (125.5) - Moroz, DEC (unanimous)
Alex Perez (135.5) vs. Mark De La Rosa (135.25) - Perez, DEC (unanimous)

*Forfeits 30% of purse for missing weight

Event Bonuses ($50,000)
Performance of the Night: Paul Craig
Performance of the Night: Jack Hermansson
Fight of the Night: Edson Barboza vs. Justin Gaethje

Attendance: 11,123
Gate: $1.1 million
Rating: 828,000 viewers

Cancelled Fights:
Ray Borg vs. Liu Pingyuan  - Injury to Pingyuan
Alexa Grasso vs. Marina Rodriguez - Injury to Grasso
Ray Borg vs. Kyler Phillips - Injury to Phillips

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

Why are the shows on so much earlier in the day now? I get that it's probably an ESPN decision, but is it just wanting them closer to prime time to get more eyes on it?

Also, the one real production change I've noticed since they went to ESPN. The traditional 'back from commercial' shot of the Octagon Girl putting the round card back, sitting down and waving to the camera? Gone. Hasn't happened this year. Might be a PPV exclusive now, might be gone from there as well. Arriany Celeste and the other ones are now a live event exclusive.

3 hours ago, AxB said:

Why are the shows on so much earlier in the day now? I get that it's probably an ESPN decision, but is it just wanting them closer to prime time to get more eyes on it?

Top Rank boxing is doing a show at 10 p.m. ET from the old ECW arena. So ironically, "homosexual skinhead fighting" is the lead in for Bob Arum now. I just saw that Lomachenko vs. Crolla is on ESPN+ to coincide with the one year anniversary of the service (why they didn't just put it on the next day and have the 236 prelims as the lead in is beyond me). Crawford is fighting on PPV the very next week. So with the way Top Rank ratings are trending, they need it.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

Yusuff-Moraes was a fun scrap. Yusuff called out Kron afterwards. Gracie Jiu-Jitsu vs. Lloyd Irvin BJJ, yall.

Tim Bradley came across town to do the hard sell for the Top Rank card later tonight. Never thought I would see that.

Couldn't believe Aguilar survived round 2, that was a war. Rodriguez was killer.

Karolina/Michelle was fun, love both so that was a hard one to call. Awesome win for Paul Craig.

"Emmett looks real good, but coming up a bit short from getting the win... so far" BOOM. holy shit. Great stuff.

That was one of the most savage one punch KOs I've ever seen. Fuck, Michael Johnson is the Charlie Brown of MMA. Somebody yanks the football away from him just as he's about to put some good shit together.

• Like 3

Welp, there's another one, yeah. ?

Awesome violence while it lasted but Barbosa galloping away with his hands down has always concerned me. I didn't think Gaethje's footwork would allow him to abuse Barbosa like that but here we are.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Man, Jessica Aguilar took a BEATING in round 2.

JAG channeled Rocky with the amount of punishment she took in that fight! It seemed Rodriguez was trying to paint a blood painting with JAG's shirt. 

6 minutes ago, Hail Sabin said:

JAG channeled Rocky with the amount of punishment she took in that fight! It seemed Rodriguez was trying to paint a blood painting with JAG's shirt. 

Do you have a choice of rashguard/shirt color as a female fighter? White might not be the best choice. By the end of the fight, it look like the bed during the final scene of Star 80.

4 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

At this rate, we might have 50 legit contenders for KO of the year before summer starts.

Yeah, we're racking those KO of the Year contenders up:

Henry Corales on Aaron Pico.

Jorge Masvidal to Darren Till.

Anthony Pettis the first man to finish Stephen Thompson.

Josh Emmett vs. Michael Johnson.

Justin Gaethje vs. Edson Barboza.

I'd suggest Henry Cejudo to TJ Dillashaw as well. Nobody thought it would be over so quickly. That was my most satisfying one.

Edited by The Natural