DVDVR Message Board

God Save The Queen - SDL - 3/26/2019

Dolfan in NYC

1 hour ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

And that's the problem. Charlotte being SDL champ is fine in a vacuum. But if the WM main event fails to meet expectations, they've sacrificed the entire division for nothing. And if you're the other women, you can't feel confident that Vince or Triple H or whoever is booking you will course-correct. 

This is tokenism layered into misogyny, and it's disgusting.

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong, I think it's a terrible scenario they've set up for themselves and it's come at far too heavy a cost. I just get their internal logic for doing it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

The post-show promo:

I posted it three pages ago but worth seeing again. Hope the New Day when the breakup occurs look out for each other. Be nice for a faction who don't turn on themselves. 

1 hour ago, Infinit said:

Graves would run that into the ground.

The people in his ear would run that into the ground, like everything else since nothing can be organic in WWE anymore.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

The people in his ear would run that into the ground, like everything else since nothing can be organic in WWE anymore.

Man, can you imagine Gorilla or Heenan having to deal with that shit?

Actually, they probably wouldn't. I wouldn't be screaming in Gorilla's ear in fear he'd rip my head off. Heenan would just shred me and embarrass me verbally because he always seemed like he had no fucks left to give.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Brandon Bones said:

I was under the impression that Mandy Rose was supposed to get the shot at Asuka. 

Post Elimination Chamber I would have begrudgingly agreed.  She was aggressive and very physical throughout the chamber.  It was enough to make me think I was over looking her.  The weeks between then and now showed she definitely wasn’t ready as the gap in status and talent would still have been huge even if the follow up to the EC had been successful.  Mandy didn’t step up.

It seemed they were going for Asuka vs Mandy vs Sonya with them two accidentally costing each other their singles matches and teasing dissension. but I guess now they'll just eliminate each other from the battle royal again.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Godfrey said:

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong, I think it's a terrible scenario they've set up for themselves and it's come at far too heavy a cost. I just get their internal logic for doing it. 

I hear ya. I agree with you. It puts more heat on Charlotte for the main event. That would be fine if it happened a few weeks ago. It's not the result that bothers me so much, but rather the method to getting to where we are.

• Like 4

I don't get why they needed to put more heat on Charlotte and sacrifice the sd womens division.  But this is a company know for doing cartoon bullshit like dropping people in a car off a forklift with no ill effects. 

• Like 3

The two most common theories I have seen are:

1) The title will actually be unified at Mania since they are going to want two (or three depending on your opinion) folks on both shows, especially as we get closer to FOX airing SDL.

2) When Rousey went mega heel - Charlotte really was an afterthought in the match (since originally she was the "heel" - again this is all in how the WWE were perceiving it). So they hot shotted the title to her to raise her stock. And also the usual - SHE WILL HAVE LOTS OF CHALLENGERS POST MANIA!!! angle

Yeesh if #1 is the plan

I can kinda buy #2 if I trusted them to actual do some sort of medium length booking. Like one would hope that Asuka would beat Charlotte at some point since she has now lost her title too her twice and she ended her streak. Will the WWE book like that though? Of course not.

There are a lot of fresh match ups that Charlotte could do as SDL champ. Instead - they will probably move Sasha over and just run that feud again

I think this is brilliant long term booking. By burying Asuka to Flair, they will put heat on Flair immediately and then garner Internet sympathy for Asuka that will build with time. The internets will meet and decide that Asuka is the person who should be winning. That'll slowly build into signs and chants at the live shows. As they continue to either not book her or job her out, the chants will grow louder and more fierce. Vince learned from Daniel with what is possible. The ultimate meta booking. Like what he did with Becky when it was clear in the MITB ladder match that she was getting mad pops and Kofi's angle recently. In a year or less we'll see Asuka as the one the WWE machine is holding down and we'll all love it and hate Vince for it. The tweets from everyone saying Asuka deserves more leads to this. We're all in on the behind the scenes drama and Asuka is the victim the internet wants to back. All hail the new booking style! All hail doing the wrong thing on purpose! All hail Vince! Lesner is cool too.

• Like 2

Has anybody credible reported whether Charlotte winning the title was a last-minute decision or something that had been planned for a while? If it was planned, it would explain why they weren't setting anything significant up for Asuka and the Smackdown women's title.

...yes, I'm aware general incompetence could also explain why they weren't doing that. 

Just now, tbarrie said:

Has anybody credible reported whether Charlotte winning the title was a last-minute decision or something that had been planned for a while? If it was planned, it would explain why they weren't setting anything significant up for Asuka and the Smackdown women's title.

...yes, I'm aware general incompetence could also explain why they weren't doing that. 

It was a last minute decision.

This was the WON update right before SDL

Per Dave Meltzer, tonight’s SmackDown show is expected to feature changes to the WrestleMania card, including the main event. The three-way aspect of the main event is not changing.

Then on the post SDL radio show he said they didn't even plan it until the day of (and hence why there was zero promotion ahead of time). He said the decision was made "this afternoon/this morning" (weird wording due to Dave trying to cover time zones)

Asuka vs. Lacey Evans was definitely on the early booking sheets for Mania but something soured them on Lacey and that is why it was kinda like "Umm... Asuka needs to face someone at Mania"

12 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

It wasn't planned.  They announced a #1 contender match fatal 4 way between Naomi/Mandy/Sonya/Carmella and the winner would face Asuka for the title at WM.  They made no mention of that fatal 4 way last night. 

Edit: also what Rippa said.

Edited by Niners Fan in CT
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Asuka vs. Lacey Evans was definitely on the early booking sheets for Mania but something soured them on Lacey and that is why it was kinda like "Umm... Asuka needs to face someone at Mania"

I love how their logic works.  Lacey isn't ready yet and we don't like these other women enough and oh well,  Asuka will survive.  They killed off the Riotts,  Asuka and Fire & Desire and Naomi and Carmella in a span of one week.  

Plus,  Fire & Desire or some other combination could have been battling for the tag titles right now. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, OctopusCinema said:

I think this is brilliant long term booking. By burying Asuka to Flair, they will put heat on Flair immediately and then garner Internet sympathy for Asuka that will build with time. The internets will meet and decide that Asuka is the person who should be winning. That'll slowly build into signs and chants at the live shows. As they continue to either not book her or job her out, the chants will grow louder and more fierce. Vince learned from Daniel with what is possible. The ultimate meta booking. Like what he did with Becky when it was clear in the MITB ladder match that she was getting mad pops and Kofi's angle recently. In a year or less we'll see Asuka as the one the WWE machine is holding down and we'll all love it and hate Vince for it. The tweets from everyone saying Asuka deserves more leads to this. We're all in on the behind the scenes drama and Asuka is the victim the internet wants to back. All hail the new booking style! All hail doing the wrong thing on purpose! All hail Vince! Lesner is cool too.

Does this mean lots of internet bickering between Becky fans and Asuka fans? Yippee

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

lol Lacey Evans is going to become the first person in WWE who goes from NXT to the main roster to released with less than 5 TV matches total.  

Whomever thought she was ready for a call-up was sadly mistaken.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Does this mean lots of internet bickering between Becky fans and Asuka fans? Yippee

There are Asuka fans?  I mean, aside from the ones that care when being an Asuka fan is convenient to dunk on WWE booking/Charlotte?

Edited by Raziel

8 minutes ago, Raziel said:

There are Asuka fans?  I mean, aside from the ones that care when being an Asuka fan is convenient to dunk on WWE booking/Charlotte?

You shouldn't be so cynical.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

lol Lacey Evans is going to become the first person in WWE who goes from NXT to the main roster to released with less than 5 TV matches total.  

Lars Sullivan is already the front runner for that.  Evans has at least had matches on Main Event.

4 minutes ago, Craig H said:

You shouldn't be so cynical.

Well, I mean, no one in that crowd was booing when Charlotte won last night.  Only place I hear screaming is Twitter and here, and mostly from the "Charlotte is female Reigns" crowd.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Well, I mean, no one in that crowd was booing when Charlotte won last night.  Only place I hear screaming is Twitter and here, and mostly from the "Charlotte is female Reigns" crowd.

Lol.  I love how the entire world complains about 50/50 booking....then when they go strong on the main event of fucking WrestleMania, no one can understand it.  Fucking a....put every title they got on the line.  It's the strongest match they've had in forever....mainstream interest.  Fuck Asuka and the Riot Squad.  Lets' fucking run with the people who will draw some money.  Rousey, Charlotte, and Becky should be booked a class above everyone...men, women, McMahons.....everyone.

• Like 2