DVDVR Message Board

God Save The Queen - SDL - 3/26/2019

Dolfan in NYC

6 hours ago, The Natural said:

The winner of Charlotte Flair vs. Asuka at WrestleMania XXXIV really annoyed me and this did as well. A finish can do that to you.

Yeah,  I think a lot of this backlash is that a lot of fans don't like this idea that Charlotte is handed everything,  like WWE is being meta about it but the fact is Charlotte really has been handed a lot just in comparison to the performers she came up with and then the other part of it is that people appreciate Asuka and think she deserves better. 

Unfortunately I don't think Vince would ever make a Japanese performer THE guy or THE woman or THE Man.  The same thing is probably going to happen with Io and Kairi despite their talent levels. 

I don't want Okada or Naito to ever leave for WWE.  They'd be wasted. We all know they'd be wasted so why bother with it. 

• Like 2

Maybe Charlotte is handed everything because she's better than everyone else?

She's arguably had every top echelon woman's best main roster match (I'm not counting NXT but she was great there too). 

Where others have failed to hit the heights of their NXT run Charlotte has elevated her own performances and everyone else she wrestles. 

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, Rick said:

She's arguably had every top echelon woman's best main roster match (I'm not counting NXT but she was great there too). 

Where others have failed to hit the heights of their NXT run Charlotte has elevated her own performances and everyone else she wrestles. 

I really like Charlotte Flair. Same goes for Becky Lynch.  I can see the argument for Charlotte Flair having Sasha Banks and Becky Lynch's best main roster matches. I still rate Sasha as the best women's wrestler in WWE.

2 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Yeah,  I think a lot of this backlash is that a lot of fans don't like this idea that Charlotte is handed everything,  like WWE is being meta about it but the fact is Charlotte really has been handed a lot just in comparison to the performers she came up with and then the other part of it is that people appreciate Asuka and think she deserves better. 

Unfortunately I don't think Vince would ever make a Japanese performer THE guy or THE woman or THE Man.  The same thing is probably going to happen with Io and Kairi despite their talent levels. 

I don't want Okada or Naito to ever leave for WWE.  They'd be wasted. We all know they'd be wasted so why bother with it. 

I'm disappointed that Kushida left for the 'E. I hope he stays in NXT for nice long while.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Rick said:

Yes, but Charlotte's not working with slouches either. I think it'd be pretty hard to for Charlotte to have a bad match with Becky, Asuka, and Sasha. That's taking nothing away from Charlotte. Can Charlotte get passable matches out of lesser wrestlers like Nia, Tamina, or Lacey Evans? All I remember of Charlotte vs. Nia are Nia's botches.

Becky has been far better on the main roster than nxt. She didn't get a whole lot of chances to shine in NXT. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Dewar said:

Naito has been wasted in his home promotion. Might as well get some of that sweet, sweet American money and learn how to surf with Nak.

I'm sure Naito is compensated quite well by the biggest company in Japan. I'd rather be wasted in New Japan, and not have to worry about being turned into a stereotype because of an old, racist owner who thinks Asians look and talk funny.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Yokozuna was Champion for most of 1993.

Arguably, being a heel  champion does not necessarily make you "the guy" in a company traditionally built around babyfaces.

And, you know, Yoko was really as Japanese as the Rock. 

Edited by odessasteps
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

Nak hasn't been turned into a stereotype. Seriously, this talking point that wrestlers are going to be turned into 1970's Mr. Fuji in 2019 is silly. 

I wouldn't blame you for blocking the Jinder Mahal feud from your memory, but that absolutely was stereoryping.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

7 hours ago, Rick said:

You make a good argument but nah..

• Like 2

2 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Arguably, being a heel  champion does not necessarily make you "the guy" in a company traditionally built around babyfaces.

Are we still talking about Charlotte? She had that long ass PPV winning streak, she's done all these "firsts" and they put her over Asuka to end that streak and they put her in the triple threat this year, she's clearly been positioned as such..

To get back to what @Rick was saying, Charlotte has performed very well and risen to the occasion but she's also had way more opportunities than the other 3 horsewoman and Asuka and Ember.

They weren't given a chance at being a perennial main eventer in the women's scene.. they've been used to get other people over. 

If they had an opportunity than who knows what would have happened.

Becky just now is on that level.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Are we still talking about Charlotte? She had that long ass PPV winning streak, she's done all these "firsts" and they put her over Asuka to end that streak and they put her in the triple threat this year, she's clearly been positioned as such..

To get back to what @Rick was saying, Charlotte has performed very well and risen to the occasion but she's also had way more opportunities than the other 3 horsewoman and Asuka and Ember.

They weren't given a chance at being a perennial main eventer in the women's scene.. they've been used to get other people over. 

If they had an opportunity than who knows what would have happened.

Becky just now is on that level.

I wasn’t talking about anyone in particular. Just that the company has rarely been built around a heel champion. Hunter maybe? Edge on SD? Brock? 

If you go all the way back: Bruno, Pedro, backlund, Hogan, warrior, Bret, Shawn, Austin, rock, cena, Roman. Even failures like Diesel. 

Im prob forgetting some people to be sure. 

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

I wasn’t talking about anyone in particular. Just that the company has rarely been built around a heel champion. Hunter maybe? Edge on SD? Brock? 

If you go all the way back: Bruno, Pedro, backlund, Hogan, warrior, Bret, Shawn, Austin, rock, cena, Roman. Even failures like Diesel. 

Im prob forgetting some people to be sure. 

I'd say Yokozuna from the '93 Rumble to WrestleMania X.   But Charlotte is going to be like her Dad where she's heel for one feud or a year and then she's face for a while etc. 

15 hours ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

Nak hasn't been turned into a stereotype. Seriously, this talking point that wrestlers are going to be turned into 1970's Mr. Fuji in 2019 is silly. 

You are, for the most part, correct. However:

They just couldn't help themselves. He may not be Mr. Fuji, but there have absolutely been racist angles.

(And for the love of god nobody give me "he's just heeling" like you don't understand the context of the phrase he's speaking.)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I'm sure Naito is compensated quite well by the biggest company in Japan. I'd rather be wasted in New Japan, and not have to worry about being turned into a stereotype because of an old, racist owner who thinks Asians look and talk funny.

But he could come to America, get paid better, and STILL get wasted in WWE AND turned into a stereotype. It's a win-win-win!

I was in the camp of "make Nak a special attraction" and keep his promos to a minimum.  Most members didn't think that he deserved that and I can't disagree with their logic. But as we know Nak is lazy so this probably wasn't going to result in a sustained push and obviously WWE didn't give him great material either.  He looks happy to be going through the motions and surfing. 

• Like 1